Notify
Tools

sportsman channel - a hunters life
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:

From what I have heard Larry is a trained wildlife biologist as I am. I am surprised that one of my brothers would have anything to do with a canned lion or any other type of canned hunt. But since he is from Texas or at least has spent a lot of time hunting there maybe it isn't too surprising his sportsmanship values have been eroded.

There isn't anyway that any of these TV shows will honestly portray a canned lion hunt. It would be their death knell if the general hunting public knew what was going on. In my opinion, if you can't be honest about what you are doing, then don't put it on TV.

465H&H

What do you mean by this stupidazz comment?

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:

From what I have heard Larry is a trained wildlife biologist as I am. I am surprised that one of my brothers would have anything to do with a canned lion or any other type of canned hunt. But since he is from Texas or at least has spent a lot of time hunting there maybe it isn't too surprising his sportsmanship values have been eroded.

There isn't anyway that any of these TV shows will honestly portray a canned lion hunt. It would be their death knell if the general hunting public knew what was going on. In my opinion, if you can't be honest about what you are doing, then don't put it on TV.

465H&H

What do you mean by this stupidazz comment?

Damn, you Texans are testy! My point was for one more time, that since Larry hunts a lot in Texas, may actually live there, high fence hunting is more common there than anywhere else, baiting is at least as common as any other state that allows it and possibly the only state that allows shooting game from a vehicle that he is more likely to have experienced these type of hunts and therefore more likely to accept them. In fact he has been shown doing these types of hunts, except for shooting from a vehicle on his TV shows.

I didn't say that ALLTexas hunters would do them. Most I think wouldn't.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few days ago I happened to catch a couple of minutes of a bowhunting "lion hunt" ( we had company so I didn't see most of the episode). I have no proof that the lion was high fenced in or drugged (perhaps both??) but when the hunter & PH approached the lion it just stood there then turned and slowly walked away. Then they soon caught up with the lion and arrowed him. I turned it off at that point as I told one of the guests that it didn't look real to me.

Posts: 35 | Location: Montana | Registered: 20 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Fulson:
I saw this too. I see more and more these days and I admit that it gets to me when the host does not say it is under fence hunting. Look, I know Larry and consider him a friend, actually a very close friend. But I think he should have been up front on the lion deal.This outfit is the same one that the Pat and Nichole show tried to pass off as a real lion hunt. Another one day, 20 yard stalk, big lion down farce. I admit that I get a bit down after the countless 18-21 day lion hunts we film each year come back with no lion, and no show. Damn expensive, time consuming, frustrating affairs but, dammit, it is REAL LION HUNTING! Yet at the Sportsman Channel and Outdoor Channel Awards shows, we compete with these kinds of hunts and more than not they get the awards and Ohh's and Ahha's when that footage is shown on the screen. Yep the " I have taken 200 lions" is all the tip off you need as to what is happening. I hope you won't write Larry off as a bad guy as he is anything but. But if you see these guys at shows, you might just ask them to be more upfront on the nature of the lion hunts.

Dave:

You should show lion hunts that are not successful - I would rather watch that than a canned hunt. For all I know, you do show some unsuccessful lion hunts, but I am reading between the lines: I assume every hunter holding a 21 day in Tanz that doesn't shoot a lion was unsuccessful. I know some guys offer either or hunts at a reduced price, but I would assume most hunters hunting leopard in Tanz also have lion on their dance card.

Larry may be a nice guy, but I have to say he conveys an image on TV that he is out of shape and can't shoot unless he has a tripod rest. That may be totally untrue, but that is the image he portrays.

Frankly, I am weary of the comment, "Never let the truth interfere with a good story." I have heard that from more than one writer.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Just for the record, although I don't have a problem with high fence hunting, just the AI aspect of it, I have never hunted a high fence property in 47 years of Texas hunting.

Yes, there are quite a few high fence operations in Texas. The VAST majority of deer hunting here takes place on low fenced properties. I don't know what the percentage of high fenced land to low fenced land is in this state but I guarantee you it is very low. Just as there are a few high dollar hunting operations with fancy lodges scattered all over the lower 48 states, it isn't the norm. High fence operations here in TX are also not the norm. If you believe otherwise, you haven't spent very much time here. I would say it's a fair bet to state that less than 1/2 of 1% of the land here is high fenced. In fact, I'd say that number is way on the high side.

What is the difference of hunting over a feeder that spreads corn on the ground and the guys who plant "food plots" and hunt over them or for that matter the guys who plant corn and other crops, then harvest them just before deer season in the heartland. NOT ONE DAMN BIT thank you very much. In all of those cases, the deer are being artificially fed.

I've shot quite a few White Tail deer in my time here in Texas. I've killed one that scored 125, another that scored 131, and another that scored 141. Those are the three largest deer I've ever taken. None of them was taken over a feeder. The fact is that the big boys know better than to hang around feeders. The possible exception to that would be during the rut when they go stupid and chase does. I have personally never seen a trophy quality buck under a feeder unless it's on a trail camera in the middle of the night.

And oh by the way, I seem to remember taking part in a Black Bear hunt this past spring. Yep it was over BAIT. Yep it was in IDAHO!

Walt, you can spin it anyway you want but what you said is that spending time in Texas causes a person's sportsmanship values to erode. That a bullshit statement and you know it!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd,

If Larry had been from Idaho and I knew he spent a lot of time baiting bears and hunting elk on the 75 acre high fenced elk game farm in SE Idaho, I would opine that had affected his sportsmanship values. As I said up front in the original thread, I don't have heart burn with either of these hunting methods. I also think that someone who does do these type hunts are possibly more likely to do a canned lion hunt than someone who wouldn't. That isn't fact, just my opinion.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
Just for the record, although I don't have a problem with high fence hunting, just the AI aspect of it, I have never hunted a high fence property in 47 years of Texas hunting.

Yes, there are quite a few high fence operations in Texas. The VAST majority of deer hunting here takes place on low fenced properties. I don't know what the percentage of high fenced land to low fenced land is in this state but I guarantee you it is very low. Just as there are a few high dollar hunting operations with fancy lodges scattered all over the lower 48 states, it isn't the norm. High fence operations here in TX are also not the norm. If you believe otherwise, you haven't spent very much time here. I would say it's a fair bet to state that less than 1/2 of 1% of the land here is high fenced. In fact, I'd say that number is way on the high side.

What is the difference of hunting over a feeder that spreads corn on the ground and the guys who plant "food plots" and hunt over them or for that matter the guys who plant corn and other crops, then harvest them just before deer season in the heartland. NOT ONE DAMN BIT thank you very much. In all of those cases, the deer are being artificially fed.

I've shot quite a few White Tail deer in my time here in Texas. I've killed one that scored 125, another that scored 131, and another that scored 141. Those are the three largest deer I've ever taken. None of them was taken over a feeder. The fact is that the big boys know better than to hang around feeders. The possible exception to that would be during the rut when they go stupid and chase does. I have personally never seen a trophy quality buck under a feeder unless it's on a trail camera in the middle of the night.

And oh by the way, I seem to remember taking part in a Black Bear hunt this past spring. Yep it was over BAIT. Yep it was in IDAHO!

Walt, you can spin it anyway you want but what you said is that spending time in Texas causes a person's sportsmanship values to erode. That a bullshit statement and you know it!

Right on Todd. The experts around here on Texas big game hunting are laughable. As you also pointed out, it's amazing that you seldom hear anyone rag on some lardazz sitting in a climbing tree stand over a bean field, but you consistently hear these experts ragging on high fenced hunting in TX, which, as you say, is a minute % of the private land here. For the record, no high fences and no feeders for me either.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote