New
Find
Notify
Tools

Most affordable "old school" safari
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
When I hunted at Nyakasanga there were a few boats but no generator noise. We were a long way from any lodges. The main noise at night was the hippos in the river.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:

[Just comes across as petty and in bad taste . . . in my opinion.]

From no less than a real expert on pettiness and bad taste.

It does seem to be true, however, that Nyakasanga is a much better concession than Dande East.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13627 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
Originally posted by The Norwegian:
quote:
Nyakasana in Zimbabwe on the banks of the Zambezi . . . checks every one of your boxes.

Spot on from Mike tu2

Morten

Apart from the countless boats and the persistent drone of generators from the numerous lodges

Have you hunted or been in camp there?

[Outfitters that tend to snipe at the operations and offers of other outfitters generally do themselves more harm than good in the long run. Just comes across as petty and in bad taste . . . in my opinion.]

I used to hunt across the river in the Chiawa concession but I must admit it was some years back but then the traffic and noise pollution was off-putting then. I apologize if you think I am having a dig at CMS but it was rather pointed at the Lower Zambezi as a whole. I was privileged to operate there 40 years ago and I was the only operator on the entire Zambian side. Now it is like the French Riviera. Personally, for an old-school safari I would choose a remoter area.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
[Outfitters that tend to snipe at the operations and offers of other outfitters generally do themselves more harm than good in the long run. Just comes across as petty and in bad taste . . . in my opinion.]

Mike, what is this about? First, you accuse me of courting a CMS client Michael Robinson and we have had absolutely no communication regarding his hunting in the future, and then my opinions regarding Eland Slayers' wants are construed again? And note I have had no communication with him either!

Lower Zambezi does not tick all the boxes by a long chalk. A roving tented safari in seriously remote environs hunting specific species would tick the boxes. I understand CMS has a connection in Niassa and that would be more like it.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
. . . once may be a mistake, several times is a pattern. As you know, there were others that took your comments on the other thread the same way. By all means carry on.

They did and they have every right to their opinion being a forum and all that.

Ask Mike and Eland Slayer if I have been in contact with them if you judge my character.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
quote:
OLd school safaris are the most expensive hunts in Africa, they cost like the devil to provide

Oh, I don’t know about that. My old school, portered foot safari with no PH in Cameroon was a bargain and couldn’t have been more old school. Of course there were no tents, just hammocks………. Cool

Jerry,
I think that any animal taken when you have planned the trip actually HUNTED the animal (as opposed to just pulled the trigger) and done the whole gamut of provisioning and THINKING THROUGH the whole process has to be worth ten times as much as a trophy from a "traditionally" hunted trip/hunt. Fly in, get chauffeured round, pick your beast, take the shot, pay and go - where's the test in this? Yes I have done this but the worth of this has to be less.

I suppose for most, most of the time, there is little option.

A long time ago, when you could do these things, I drove (30 hours) from Dar to a hunting area south west of Tabora in the Ugalla drainage. Just me, my driver and a load of water, diesel, and camp kit in one truck. It was a disaster - the grass was high, the government game scout was drunk, I got lost and nearly died and we got out and saved the trip with a trip up into the Maasai Steppe to spend two weeks hunting eland fruitlessly. I did however take a number of great trophies - these are a real memory.

I guess that's it Jerry - make the trophies worth it whatever they are and wherever they are from.

Posts: 200 | Location: The frozen north of Scotland | Registered: 01 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Yes, it’s a damn shame that the opportunity to do a chasse libre hunt no longer exists. RIP Cam Gregg…. patriot

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13400 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote