Find
Notify
Tools

Most affordable "old school" safari
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
Where is the most affordable location where someone can experience an "old school" safari setting? By "old school"..... I mean a somewhat remote/wild area with a traditional tented camp on a river (or lake), where at least a couple of the Big 6 are present....and with lots of other plains game around.

I'm inclined to believe Mozambique or Northern Namibia (Caprivi) are the most affordable areas to accomplish this...but would like to hear everyone's thoughts.

This would be for a 10-14 day hunt for mostly plains game, but possibly for Buffalo as well. The main focus is the setting, not necessarily specific species to be hunted.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eland Slayer:
Where is the most affordable location where someone can experience an "old school" safari setting? By "old school"..... I mean a somewhat remote/wild area with a traditional tented camp on a river (or lake), where at least a couple of the Big 6 are present....and with lots of other plains game around.

I'm inclined to believe Mozambique or Northern Namibia (Caprivi) are the most affordable areas to accomplish this...but would like to hear everyone's thoughts.

This would be for a 10-14 day hunt for mostly plains game, but possibly for Buffalo as well. The main focus is the setting, not necessarily specific species to be hunted.

Zimbabwe will probably be the cheapest.

West African Plainsgame/buff hunts are very decently priced. Some of the areas hold good numbers of lion, elephant, croc and hippo. Leopard is always hit and miss.

South Africa/Namibia/Botswana will offer you a similar experience and plainsgame hunts in wild areas are not that cheap in these 3 countries.

In Mozambique, Niassa is where you want to look but again it’s not cheap at all.

In Southern Africa, I would try and look for a deal in Zambias Luangwa Valley or Kafue Region.

Posts: 399 | Location: Limpopo, South Africa | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
By old school.

You are looking for remote, tented camp site, lake or river by the camp site. The big 5 or 7, plus plains game to go after.

Well you have: Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Mozambique & Tanzania to consider.

Looking at a 10 to 14 hunt, Cape buffalo is available in all the locations. And each has a different selections of plains game to go after, with some overlap. Then it comes down to which animals are you targeting to go after. As for taking in the big 5 or expanded big 7 this comes down to prime areas and some luck. The only one I have not observed is the leopard. However their track were every where.

You are looking at affordable, and all of these can be available to you.

Looking at the limited information you have provided.

If you want buffalo i would go with Tanzania as you can have good selection of plains game and you have 2 Cape buffalo on license.

Second selection would be Zimbabwe, and toward the end of the season you may have the option of 2 Cape buffalo and plains game to select.

Third choice is a tie in Zambia and Mozambique. Again, nice Cape buffalo and some areas are better in plains game than others.

Namibia would come in forth, some parts of the strip are better than others. Again it comes down to the right time of the year for your hunt.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1626 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The first thing you mentioned was cost. Using that as your No 1 criteria is probably going to get you a substandard hunt.

There are areas in Zimbabwe that hold all the DG species plus a good variety of PG animals. A remote tented camp can be had and the price is quite reasonable.

Even if you chose a PG hunt only you still in the course of your hunt would see most if not all of the DG species.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most affordable? Depends on what you are actually looking for.

Zimbabwe is probably the least expensive, but you had better be careful where you go. Some spots are not exactly heavy with game.

Sometimes the late season pick ups can be quite affordable, but that means you really can't "plan" on it.

I am not sure what exacly the "big 6" is. Big 5, I am really only sure about a couple places that have all of them- rhino being the issue. The Save in Zimbabwe (which is somewhat questionable as a remote area) and some spots in Namibia.

Croc and hippo require substantial water access.

Elephant are fairly widespread, but not all areas have them. Same with buffalo.

Cats, they may be around, but unless you are actually targeting them or they are super abundant in the area (in which case your PG hunting will be adversely affected) the odds of seeing them is not that great. Sign and hearing, that would be more likely.

I'd look at a good operator first, game selection second, and then price third. If you are not doing DG at all, the prices are usually quite a bit less.

Tented is probably available in most, but the usual is a semipermanent camp, which means some concrete pads and structures of wood with thatched roofs.

also, the more remote the place is, the more likely you will have higher prices (it has to be brought out there) and the bigger transfer fees you will likely endure.

My experience is that neither Mozambique or the Caprivi are price leaders... but they are remote/wild. Note that remote does not mean no humans around. Those spots are very rare...and pricey. I don't think I have been there where there wasn't a village within a few miles and I have been to a lot of the huntable countries in Africa.

Posts: 10995 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a great post & I really look forward to seeing the responses. I think you are WAY on the right track by looking to hunt the wild places.

If your schedule is flexible, waiting for a late-season special can allow you to hunt a wild place for a "developed place" price.

My hunt in the Selous (2006 when prices were quite a bit lower) was absolutely one of my best experiences.

Posts: 447 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Karl Stumpfe has a super nice Caprivi PG offer up right now for those who want the experience at an affordable price...

"Plains game special in the Caprivi" in Offered and Discounted Hunts section

Posts: 447 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
He first thing you mentioned was cost. Using that as your No 1 criteria is probably going to get you a substandard hunt.

There are areas in Zimbabwe that hold all the DG species plus a good variety of PG animals. A remote tented camp can be had and the price is quite reasonable.

Even if you chose a PG hunt only you still in the course of your hunt would see most if not all of the DG species.

Mark

I wasn’t necessarily asking for the cheapest outfitter….I was simply wanting know the most affordable regions to focus on and to research various outfitters. For instance, a hunt that requires a $10k charter flight makes it significantly less affordable.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
I just designed such a hunt that combined Shiwa Ngandu (the Africa House), the Bangweulu swamps, and the Luangwa Valley. There is quite a bit of driving but you see lots of country and camp on the way,

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
I just designed such a hunt that combined Shiwa Ngandu (the Africa House), the Banggweulu swamps, and the Luangwa Valley. There is quite a bit of driving but you see lots of country and camp on the way,

I'm not lying that hunting out of Shiwa Ngandu is an interesting proposition. Gore-Browne is a very interesting character and the house equally so.

Many people think a lot of driving is a bad thing - not so. That is how you learn a country.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
quote:
I just designed such a hunt that combined Shiwa Ngandu (the Africa House), the Banggweulu swamps, and the Luangwa Valley. There is quite a bit of driving but you see lots of country and camp on the way,

I'm not lying that hunting out of Shiwa Ngandu is an interesting proposition. Gore-Browne is a very interesting character and the house equally so.

Many people think a lot of driving is a bad thing - not so. That is how you learn a country.

The sacred lake holds impressive numbers of Sitatunga and Lechwe. Bangweulu for Black Lechwe and the Luangwa for Buffalo and plains game such as Hippo Hyena and Croc.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, from my end...

Zimbabwe- Transit costs are probably minimal, good selection of common PG, fairly well developed hunting industry. Not particularly remote hunting, but wild. Probably the cheapest trophy buffalo. Area dependent, you can find hunting for buff, lion, leopard, elephant, croc, and hippo. There are rhino in some hunting areas, if that's important to you.

Zambia- a bit more transit costs, as the international airport is further away from most hunting areas. Good selection of common PG, and a few local rarities. Fairly wild areas. A bit smaller hunting industry, but solid. Can hunt the cats, buffalo, elephant, croc and hippo. Only place you will see rhino is in a park.

South Africa- Transit is inexpensive. They do have some wild hunting, but it is very expensive (in the greater Kruger area.) All game is available, just at how much $$$, and how wild you want it. Very well developed tourist industry.

Namibia- not a place I have hunted, but have priced. More expensive and off the farms, quota availability can be restrictive. Has a well developed hunting industry and a very good tourist access, but the flights in do require transfers from the US. You can hunt all the big 7 here, if you have the $$$.

Mozambique- this is a bit more off the beaten path. Not as well developed. A bit more hassle for firearms than any of the above. Transit will be long and more expensive than most. Good selection of PG. Some small animals are not allowed to be hunted (small cats), but they do have some relatively rare tiny antelope. DG you can hunt Lion, Leopard, Buffalo, maybe elephant in the right spot, hippo and croc. No rhino I am aware of. This is not top tier expensive, but a bit more than the more common destinations.

Tanzania- classic wild area hunting. Generally high transit costs and expenses. Lots of animals that can only be hunted there. They have all the big 7 in the country, and you might see signs of Rhino in some hunting areas, but not very likely. Sometimes real bargains come up late if you are able to go on a moment's notice.

Uganda-
Much less hunting than a lot of other areas. More a collector's hunt than a common destination. High expense, wild country, and the game tends to be more "tame" than other places. Not a lot of common PG, but there are lots of specialty animals there. Only DG hunting is Buffalo, at least that I am aware of, but there are cats and elephant around. No rhino, but they do have gorillas...

Ethiopia-
High expense, high human habitation, not much PG availability- some buffalo. Another collector destination as far as hunting, but a very interesting place for more conventional tourism. While they do hunt cats and (did) elephant, they are not importable here.

CAR- haven't been there. Wild, expensive, and some degree of danger at this point.

Cameroon-
Might be an option as far as a different experience. Not a lot of varieties of PG, but the place to get some of the more unusual ones. If you are not hunting the glamor species, the hunting can be surprisingly affordable (lots of Europeans hunt there) but the licensing system is a bit different. High human interaction areas, but most US hunters have not been there.

Buffalo are there, as are elephant, leopard and lion. Unfortunately, rhino are poached out. No croc hunting I am aware of, but I think that in some places there might be hippo hunting. Certainly there are some there.

US import restrictions on some.

There are a few other smaller places but I think you can discount those. The one that used to be an affordable gem was Burkina Faso, but that's out now.

Posts: 10995 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eland Slayer:

Many members on Azr have more experience than I do, but

I'm inclined to believe Mozambique or Northern Namibia (Caprivi) are the most affordable areas to accomplish this...but would like to hear everyone's thoughts .

Many members here on AR have vastly more experience than I, but with the parameters you’ve stated, I have had fantastic hunts with Zambezi Delta Safaris and also with CMS, though neither were tented but saw untold numbers of game (especially in Coutada 11, Moz). Hunted Buffalo both places and had fantastic hunts, going back to both this year.
Having said all of this…I would love to hunt Chete, just one more time!

Karl Evans

Posts: 2901 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Tented and a large number of various game, I think you are limited to Tanzania.

It is not cheap, but one cannot get a steak for the price of a burger.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can compromise not staying in a tent. The outfitter I work with in Cameroon has a beautiful camp with client chalets on the river. Its wild Africa. You can hunt West African Savannah buffalo, roan and other West African species of plains game. Prices are not bad and t/fees are quite reasonable. 2.800 for a savannah buff, compared to 5,000+ for a Cape buff. Different animal but the hunt is pretty much the same.

The opportunity to hunt West Africa and the unique species found there is sadly diminishing, Cameroon being the last place left! CAR hangs on but!!

With a multitude of countries offering these hunts you will be able to hunt, cape buffalo and all the Southern variety of plains game for a lot longer!

Arjun Reddy
Hunters Networks LLC
www.huntersnetworks.com
30 Ivy Hill Road
Brewster, NY 10509
Tel: +1 845 259 3628

2023 SHOW BOOTHS:

DSC booth #931
Western Hunting and Conservation Expo (Salt lake city) booth # 319
SCI (Nashville) booth #505

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I don't recall his name, but there was black operator in Tanzania who was well respected and had prices lower than others. Who knows his name?

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Nyakasana in Zimbabwe on the banks of the Zambezi . . . checks every one of your boxes.

Mike

Posts: 21695 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reddy375:
If you can compromise not staying in a tent. The outfitter I work with in Cameroon has a beautiful camp with client chalets on the river. Its wild Africa. You can hunt West African Savannah buffalo, roan and other West African species of plains game. Prices are not bad and t/fees are quite reasonable. 2.800 for a savannah buff, compared to 5,000+ for a Cape buff. Different animal but the hunt is pretty much the same.

The opportunity to hunt West Africa and the unique species found there is sadly diminishing, Cameroon being the last place left! CAR hangs on but!!

With a multitude of countries offering these hunts you will be able to hunt, cape buffalo and all the Southern variety of plains game for a lot longer!

Arjun Reddy
Hunters Networks LLC
www.huntersnetworks.com
30 Ivy Hill Road
Brewster, NY 10509

2023 SHOW BOOTHS:

DSC booth #931

I second this. Cameroon is a unique hunting experience in wild Africa. It’s not cheap but Arjun’s offerings are generally better priced than anyone else there.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13400 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JSM
posted Hide Post
Mokores area in Mozambique. (Gary and Neil Duckworth). Plenty Wild, ridiculous numbers of PG and you can add buff.

I did a 14 day hunt and we fly camped 7 of those. Squared away as camping gets, rigged up a shower and a toilet that Barry had used since the 80's. Eland and Kudo wandering around 50 yds from our tent on the dry riverbed, camp Shangri-La!

bit more expensive than a similar hunt in Zim. but not by much, and C9 is absolutely amazing plains game hunting. Kudu, Nyala, Sable and Eland especially. GIANT warthogs as well.

Posts: 56 | Location: Houston,TX | Registered: 06 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interested in this but for DG only. Prices seem to be skyrocketing so looking for some good deals. Last minute stuff seems to be a way to go. I would take less amenities no charter as I love the road trips and opportunity for multiple DG animals. Was just looking at charlton McCallum it seems they have the packages but trophy and daily rates are up there. But first class outfit. I think they have some nice camps. I’m full up on plains game but may take an exceptional one

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2855 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The BLB
posted Hide Post
Cameroon savannah. Talk about wild.

Beau

Posts: 79 | Location: Bay Area, California | Registered: 07 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Any PH can organize a tented safari in a remote area and it will not be expensive

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted the Zambezi Delta area in Mozambique some years ago. I found it to be the most remote, undeveloped area I've been to in Africa. Lots of game as well....Sable, Waterbuck, Buffalo, Reedbok, Suny, Duikers, etc.

Posts: 20161 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes I’ve been there courses 11. Seriously considering again

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
There is only one place on earth where we have awakened each morning in a tent, and where, after breakfast, we headed into the bush with everything then imaginable on license, including all of the big four, and where all of them were present in huntable numbers.

Tanzania.

Sad to say, I am not sure it can still be done.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13627 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did a hunt in 2011 that may be about what you are looking for. I booked it from a listing here on AR by Peter Bernard. t was a buffalo hunt in the Nakysanga (sp?) area of Zimbabwe, right on the banks of the Zambezi River. My tent was less than 50 feet from the water. It was a left-over hunt and cost $10,000 total, including all the trophy fees except $250 each for 2 extra impala. The trophy fees were included for the buffalo, 1 hyena, 1 impala, 1 duiker, and 2 baboons. I got everything except the duiker. I know prices have gone up since then. You might want to contact Peter at Byvekeyna Safaris. CMS also offer hunts in this area.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to say this was my first African hunt, and it was really great. Got a buffalo was just over 40 inches. Peter kept everyone laughing the whole time. I have done 6 other hunts that were all great. I found all of them here on AR. Thanks for providing this site for us, Saaed.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
There is only one place on earth where we have awakened each morning in a tent, and where, after breakfast, we headed into the bush with everything then imaginable on license, including all of the big four, and where all of them were present in huntable numbers.

Tanzania.

Mike, it can be done. And I used to hunt very remote wetlands for Sitatunga and the drive from the main camp was 7 - 10 hours depending on which swamp you choose. Fly camping is getting out there without the frills.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds great

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Tanzania.

Mike, it can be done. And I used to hunt very remote wetlands for Sitatunga and the drive from the main camp was 7 - 10 hours depending on which swamp you choose. Fly camping is getting out there without the frills.

Andrew, is that drive as much fun as the one to the Kafue Flats? Big Grin

You and I are going to have to discuss this.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of dwarf416
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reddy375:

Arjun Reddy
Hunters Networks LLC
www.huntersnetworks.com
30 Ivy Hill Road
Brewster, NY 10509

2023 SHOW BOOTHS:

DSC booth #931

Arjun I have hunted in the area in Tanzania u are offering in this same forum three years in a row. Superb. Incredible. Crazy amounts of buffalo. More buffalo that you can imagine. Abundant plainsgame 4 of the big five. The camp is by a river… and you have no takers. You should rise the price to see if you get takers

diego

Posts: 645 | Location: madrid spain | Registered: 31 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If one wants a cheap hunt then they are a dime a dozen and you invaribly get just that! Your spending a boatload of money and wanting to save a couple of grand, not a good approach..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OLd school safaris are the most expensive hunts in Africa, they cost like the devil to provide. some don't seem to realize that, has nothing to do with cheap an only affordable to the wealthy, time consuming and lots of walking and spike camping, requires ox carts, for gear and thats just the beginning, Ive had many clients want Old school, but none decided on it and settled on a tented Tanzania safari,

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
OLd school safaris are the most expensive hunts in Africa, they cost like the devil to provide

Oh, I don’t know about that. My old school, portered foot safari with no PH in Cameroon was a bargain and couldn’t have been more old school. Of course there were no tents, just hammocks………. Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
quote:
OLd school safaris are the most expensive hunts in Africa, they cost like the devil to provide

Oh, I don’t know about that. My old school, portered foot safari with no PH in Cameroon was a bargain and couldn’t have been more old school. Of course there were no tents, just hammocks………. Cool

That ain't old school.

That's the school they tore down when they built the old school.

A PH might be optional, depending on personalities, but one generally does expect a tent. Big Grin

Mike

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
quote:

That ain't old school.

That's the school they tore down when they built the old school.

A PH might be optional, depending on personalities, but one generally does expect a tent. Big Grin

My luggage that Air France lost with all my gear contained a top flight jungle hammock that would have worked just fine- but no tent…..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the sound of that Cameroon safari. That’s one I’d be interested in

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Nyakasana in Zimbabwe on the banks of the Zambezi . . . checks every one of your boxes.

Spot on from Mike tu2

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1143 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Norwegian:
quote:

Spot on from Mike tu2

Morten

Apart from the countless boats and the persistent drone of generators from the numerous lodges

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by The Norwegian:
quote:

Spot on from Mike tu2

Morten

Apart from the countless boats and the persistent drone of generators from the numerous lodges

Have you hunted or been in camp there?

[Outfitters that tend to snipe at the operations and offers of other outfitters generally do themselves more harm than good in the long run. Just comes across as petty and in bad taste . . . in my opinion.]

Mike

Posts: 21695 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote