THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Gemsbok and Zebra hunt rifle caliber choice
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gemsbok and Zebra hunt rifle caliber choice
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All of my plains game, including zebra and oryx, has been shotwith my 30-06 w/180g a-frame rounds

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Wink, I'm just not a .30 caliber fan, though I have some .30 rifles, I rarely shoot any of them. I hunt most so-called big game in the USA and Canada with a 375 H&H when useing a bolt rifle, and as a result I shoot it well, and can hit anything at any distance that I can with the .30 cals.

Haveing said that, of the rifles you mention my choise would be the 375 H&H for "ME", but if you shoot the .300 WM better then it will do the trick on the animals you seek, with proper placement, and a good bullet.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's obvious that either will work very well. I would take which ever you can shoot the best with at the longest range you feel comfortable shooting. My preference would be my .300

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
The 375 H&H might actually be a little easier to shoot with 250-260grn bullets than the 300Win Mag with 180-200grn bullets. Some 375H&H rifles seem to kick less than lighter 300Win Mags. You're not loosing enough trajectory to worry about between the two out to 300yds. Pick the one you shoot most comfortably and you'll get better with it faster.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grumulkin:
What you will need is a HUGE and IMPECCABLE rifle preferably shooting Platinum bullets. If you can't afford platinum bullets, then gold or silver bullets might work but aren't as much of a sure thing. With platinum you should have no problem. Don't worry about not being able to hit the broad side of a barn with the rifle.

Wink, you can't go wrong with this kind of sage advise right from the horse's mouth. Or is a grumulkin at the other end of a horse?

If you've got the cash go with the Silver bullets. They always worked for the Lone Ranger.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Wink, I know you can't hit a cow in the behind with a snow shovel... animal However the 300 Win mag. with a TSX 180gr. and 4 inches high at 100yds will shoot an awfull long way...

But a 375 in 270 gr shoots very far also... It will drive a TSX from front to back on both animals...

Good shooting... Make the shot!!!

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot both, a 7x57 and up will work quite nicely, although zebra are notorious for running off at least according to the PH's. By my experience, they fall in their tracks when hit properly with a .375 H&H. I think a .338-06 or .338 WM is pretty much an ideal round for a big percentage of plains game. It SHOULD work a little better than my beloved 7x57 at least in theory. The gemsbok and kudu I shot with the 7x57 are still dead however.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank You. I'll take that as yes, not knowing the muzzle velocity of your wildcat. My rifle launches a 150 grain partition at 3050 fps and I'll assume my bullet is traveling as fast at 300 yards as yours was at 500 yards. I guess I'm just fearful of caliberitis and that the average PH would laugh himself silly if I said I had a 270 Weatherby and wanted to hunt all non dangerous game available. Its just that I shoot this particular rifle better than all my others. Not a single person who has replied to this thread has gone below 30 caliber

Posts: 71 | Location: Dover, New Hampshire | Registered: 14 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Funny thing is, the rifle I seem to shoot the most accurately is the 404 Jeffery.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
<thors460>
posted
The 270 will work fine flat shooter just stay away from balistic tips and have a good construced bullet and youll be fine ive had a ph say he once had a client take one with a 243 does that make it a great choice but it will get the job done

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Bill will that 404 shoot out to 250yds? If the answer is yes then use it...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I went rummaging around in the huge mess I call a reloading bench and found half a box of Nosler 260 grain Accubonds for the .375. With the white plastic tip it looks like some sort of varmint bullet, but I guess at 260 grains it's for the really big varmints. Anybody have load suggestions with VihtVuori powders? Could these shoot flat enough? I've also got a box of 285 grain Speer Grand Slam bullets (boy are these old!) which, according to my French powder tables will allow 2,625 fps. Would these shoot flat enough?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Wink, I would be inclined to take the .375 loaded with 270 grain premium expanding bullets and some solids as well.

But of course the .300 will do the job, if you want to take that one instead.

So will the .404. I have used a .416 Rigby on plains game, including zebra, and a heavy medium bore will surely smack them down!

But all things considered, I think that I would take the .375.

Couple of reasons.

The first is the maxim that when in DG country, one should be carrying a DGR. Much, but certainly not all, of Namibia is DG country. If you won't be hunting in a DG area, then you can discount this factor.

The second is that in Namibia, one never knows whether or when a problem lion or elephant may be declared by the MET. With the .375, you will be ready for either or both. If you have no interest in problem lion or elephant hunting, then you can discount this factor as well.

Namibia is a great place to hunt.

Best of luck!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Ahhhh, Wink my friend. You are seeing the light. Your .375 H&H with 260-grain Noslers would be my choice. My elk load for the .375 H&H uses 260-grain partitions at 2,750 fps, and I never felt at a disadvantage regarding range.

And having watched you shoot my shotgun better than me, I am confident that you will do ok with your rifle. On the other hand, I am a notoriously bad shooter myself Wink.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Code4- How many times has a client AND his PH gotten into trouble while hunting non-dangerous game in a dangerous game area? Its my recollection that is how Bob Fontana met his fate. A Cape Buffalo came out of nowhere(tall grass) and nailed him while hunting one of the big antelope as I recall. They did not know the buff was even in the vicinity. This sort of thing happens from time to time. Did not matter in his case what he was packing; he never had a chance to get a shot off- nor did his PH. So, shit happens-and often when least expected. When in DG country just seems sensible to me to carry something that can better handle it.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I am graciously accepting load recommendations for the 260 grain Accubond in the .375 H&H, with special consideration for those who have tried VihatVuori powders, since I cannot obtain American powders here. But if all you've tried is IMR or RL, post it anyway and I'll ask Shootaway to extrapolate for me.

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SGraves155:
There are occasional opportunities to take newly declared problem lions or problem ele's at bargain prices in some areas, and for that reason, I would recommend the 375 H&H or larger.

Beat me to it!

Always a good question to ask your potential PH/ Safari operator in choosing a hunt, what the chance of taking "problem children" out of circulation might be.
Great hunts for these"kids".
IMHO

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good problem to have, a hunt coming up and more good rifles than you need. Take whatever one you want and have a good trip.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote