THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Need help selecting optics for the Rainforest

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help selecting optics for the Rainforest
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted
Does anyone have experience with an aimpoint site on a heavy kicking rifle like a 458 lott.

I am thinking of putting an Aimpoint CompM4 on my 458 lott to hunt Pygmy forest Elephant, any words of wisdom from the experienced rifle men out there will be helpful.

I do not want to use a scope and although I could use open sites, I do have problems focusing (old age and bifocals)

Regards
Aziz

photo 5a71b091-8ccb-440e-8358-1ba8fe6939cb_zpsga1mmy00.jpg

Posts: 591 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aziz

Red Dots work great for hunting.

Just be sure the one you get will take the recoil and be waterproof.

I would contact Aimpoint directly and see what they say.

I would also want good fixed sights,and my Red Dot on a QD mount.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
You might ask this on the Alaskan forum. Some guides or people that know guides might have some information they can relay you or people they can put you in touch with. I was on Kodiak a few years ago and I ran into a bear guide by the name of Tim Bouchie (sp?) who was picking up his guide gun from a gun smith. It was a .375, .416, .458 something like that and he had a Aimpoint on it I believe. He was a big fan of it.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Aziz,

I like the Micro T-1 and I like this one from Trijicon RMR
http://www.aimpoint.com/milita...s/aimpoint_micro_t-1

http://www.trijicon.com/specialties/hunting.cfm

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I suggest you look at the EOTech models. I've used mine on a S&W 500 without any issues whatsoever. Very quick target acquisition and both eyes open capability. I prefer the circle-dot reticle for speed. I would cover it with the ScopeCoat while in the forest as it can be quickly removed when bringing the rifle into play.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
Hi Aziz

I have had mounted a tiny Docter red dot on my Chapuis 470 and it's perfect.
Very small, not cumbersome, fast to mount and remove. Acquisition of target is immediate as there are no channel effect and one shoots with both eyes open.
I can even send it to You for your trying it....or with the Chapuis as well.
But in 2 hours I'll fly to Zim to meet Buzz C and be back the 15th August.
good luck

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Back in the good old days when we hunted elephant in the SW rain forests of Ethiopia, I used a wide shallow V with a 1/8 inch white bead. Today your Aim Point idea sounds like a solution for my aging eyes. Either that or a ghost ring.
Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone, I really appreciate your input.

Best regards
Aziz

One of Us
posted Hide Post
2 problems to consider are humidity and electric/battery scopes. Second is rain and dripping forest cover. I used scope covers and did not remove them until I saw what I was going to shoot. It worked.

Aziz, have you considered a large opening peep site?

One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
Hello SG

The reason I was thinking about using Aimpoint CompM4,is because Super ACET technology allows up to 80,000 hours (over 8 years) of day-time continuous operation on one AA battery.

The mount base is "keyed" into the body of the sight to absorb recoil, and the sight is waterproof and submersible to 150 feet.

All of you have now made me think of some other options also.

Thank you
Regards
Aziz

One of Us
Picture of OldHandgunHunter
posted Hide Post
I've used both Aimpoint red dots and EOTech holographic sights extensively on VERY heavy recoiling hunting handguns -- all to very good effect.

That said, I would stick to those two brands -- they're both used extensively by the military and are, in fact, military tough. They're expensive, but this is one area where you truly do get what you pay for.

When you get bored with life, start hunting dangerous game with a handgun.

Posts: 495 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the Trijicon reflex. Their ACOG series of red dot scopes are the toughest on the planet. No reason to think this model would be any different!

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aziz,

Sounds like the aimpoint is good for the humidity and water. You might want to mount it and put a 100 rounds through your rifle which will test the recoil factor plus practice shooting doesn't hurt except physically. If it works just keep the scope caps on until you can see your game and you should be fine. (the scope coat type worked for me but do not carry the rifle upside down. Frankly I would lay down a small wager that you will not need sights at all and will just be so close you can point and shoot. But a scope builds confidence, just in case.

I am already anticipating one fantastic hunt report. I would love to go back to the forest. I am very envious.

Best of luck.

SG

One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
Hello SG

I just realized that it was you who gave me your list of items that you took to Cameroon.

You can rest assured that you will see a detailed report with a lot of photos regardless of whether I get the elephant.

I am hunting Pygmy forest elephant in 2010 and am booked to hunt the Forest buffalo in 2011.

I thank you again for all your help.

Best regards
Aziz

posted Hide Post
I hope you have a good hunt. Who will you be hunting with??

Posts: 60 | Location: South Texas  | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
Hello Gonzales

I will be hunting with MBAM & KIM Safaris, the hunt for the Forest Elephant and Duikers will be in the rainforest zone 40.

The Buffalo hunt will be in the Gallery forest zone 19.

Regards
Aziz

one of us
posted Hide Post
Screw the juvenile gameboy arcade electronics; you want something that works and doesn't depend on electricity. What you need is a high-quality 1X or 1.5X scope. No one seems to make one anymore. (The old Weavers were tough, but they wouldn't be appropriate for damp conditions considering their relatively poor sealing.) Your best bet might be a Leupold 1-4X variable used at or near the bottom of the range. It also has the advantage of twisting it up to 4X for sighting in.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Sounds good, since your going to be there are you gonna try for a Bongo or just ele and duikers??

Posts: 60 | Location: South Texas  | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aziz: I am hunting Pygmy forest elephant in 2010 and am booked to hunt the Forest buffalo in 2011.
Aziz, my God man, you're killing me here! Big Grin

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
Bill, he gave me an offer I could not refuse but I had to book the two hunts together.

So I decided that life is too short and I would have to survive the economic pain. Big Grin

Regards
Aziz

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Investigate the new Trijicon 1x4 scope. It is a 300MM tube and should be just the ticket for your hunt. I understand they are in short supply. My dealer was told they will be hard to come by for a couple of months. I have a Nightforce 1x4 and it is bomb proof. I would take it anywhere without reservation. The red dot scopes all seem a little fragile to me but I have no experience with them. Just my opinion. Good luck!!!

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dwarf416
posted Hide Post
Hi ernesto, good to here from you. Have you been guiding this year in cameroon? I will go back in feb.
I would not use a scope in there but the red dot seems fine if moisture is ok with your batterys. after mu first hunt in cameroon I decided to get my eyes operated because my glasses kept coming foggy so I strongly reccomend you to find something that stops this happenig to your bifocals and test it in a sauna Wink elerhant hunting in the "floresta" ( rainforest is one of the most impressive thjings you are going to do in your entire life. nothing to do with any other alephant hunting you have tieed. Enjoy yourself clap

diego

Posts: 645 | Location: madrid spain | Registered: 31 October 2007Reply With Quote