Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Average Shot Distance on Buff
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted
When I hunted there the longest shot was 60 yards and my closest was about 30 yards. I can't imagine hunting buffalo at longer ranges, but I sure can at closer ranges.

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DennisHP
posted Hide Post
I was hoping it was not a 150-200 yard affair.

Posts: 3931 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You could easily get a 150 yard shot at a Buff if he is out of the thick stuff, not at all uncommon....I don't know who started this all buff are shot at under 50 yards because they are not, unless the client is a poor shot and the PH just won't allow it...I have shot many at 75 to 150 and a few in excess of 200 yards...just like anything else. That said the majority are shot at under 100 yards, but you just can't depend on that..It is up to you to become proficent with your rifle up to 300 yards IMO....I would hate to miss shooting a 50 inch bull because I could not hit him at 200 yards....Any good PH will get you as close as possible but who knows??????????????

Posts: 41865 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
My one and only buffalo was originally shot at approximately 150 yards. A lot further than I would have wanted. He wouldn't die and I ended up hitting him a total of 6 out of 9 shots.

So, if you are asking the average distance. I guess that would be 25 yards. 150 yards divided by 6.

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DennisHP
posted Hide Post
Ray, I don't know who started it either but I can imagine that shooting one a 50 yards is a lot more exciting then shooting one at 200-300 yards even if I can hit them at that distance. I'm thinking my "maximum excitement factor distance" is somewhere at 75-100 yards. Closer than that and I may get too excited.

Longbob, that's funny.

posted Hide Post
Darn Ray, I never thought I'd hear you say anything about shooting buff that were much further than spittin' distance!
It all depends...on a lot of things that include the hunter's proficiency, where the animals are found, trophy expectations and how close or far the client wishes to be. By that I mean some clients like t0 sneak in on them and shoot from 50ft, with trophy quality being secondary to the experience. Others are after a monster buff and are capable and willing to shoot from 100+yds. My own limit would be 200yds on buffalo...unless it was a 50 incher.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Dennis,

I practiced and prepared for my safari...when I told Ph I was shooting out to 300yds...He said we are not going to be a sniper...Well as the case would have it 14 days before my arrival previous client was missing many most animals from 40 to 60yds...He told Ph I will probably jinx the next guy coming and it was me and closest shot was 120yds, wildbeast,150,zebra,300bushbuck,200 warthog, and 400 kudu... My philosophy on hunting is make the shot...Practice for the unexpected... IMO

Mike

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
retreever,
what caliber were you using and how did you zero it for 300y?
For .416 400 gr @ 2400fps, zeroed at 150y ,my tables show high 1.6" @100y,200y: -4" , 300y -20",in other words,the drop is excessive for me after 200y
unless I Laser range the target and maybe fiddle with the elevation.Of Course I can always "hold high"
How did you train?

sheephunter

Posts: 795 | Location: CA,,the promised land | Registered: 05 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have only killed two buffalo but in both cases the initial shot was at around 75 yards. On the first one I hit him good and he ran and didn't clear the cows until he was about 200 and I popped him twice more before he dissapeared into the grass. Then we went in on him and he stood up at about 15 yards and I finished him with a 500gr solid through the neck. My second one was pretty close to the same. So from my experience I got to shoot them at medium, long and then short range. you should be prepared to do the same .

I was shooting a .458Lott with AO ghost ring sights.

Posts: 24 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Shooting buff at 300 yards. For shame, for shame.

If you want a big one that bad, hire a helicopter and a machine gun.

Posts: 19317 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I 'm not sure if you are serious or bluffing Will - If you are serious with your statement I must consent - shooting a buff at 300yards is not the best option IMO and I've never had a situation where I could not get closer than that to a buff. The querstion was asking for "the average" distance so I would say most common average is 50 - 100 yards.

Happy hunting

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
25 yards for me, but I prefer closer than that. Shooting buff at 150 yards is no different than hunting black angus cattle.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
SH,

Iwill send aPM to you...

Mike

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Dennis,
I hunted in the area you described in Tanzania last November and our party of four had shots ranging from 10 yards to 125 yards. We hunted the steppes and the thick riverine stuff. Most of the buff were shot in the thick stuff but it was very hot and very dry so your situation may be different! ForrestB who posts here shot his bull in Lolkisaile at a distance with his 416 Rigby. Check his and my posts out on a search. SBT has been there and posted as well. And I'm sure Ray has been there. Bwanamich lives there!

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DennisHP
posted Hide Post
In anticipation of a future hunt, what is the average shot disctance on buffalo in Masai land? Specifically, I'm talking about the Tarangire area but is the steppe that varied in terrain and vegetation that the northern area is different from the southern?.