Find
Notify
Tools

Zimbabwe and Friendship
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted
A fine African friend of mine, who shall remain nameless, to protect his spotlessly innocent soul, said to me recently, that nothing comes out of Zimbabwe but trouble. Seemed true enough to me then as much as now.

For many years, I have asked myself, why do Americans hunt in Zimbabwe? It is governed by an African Castro. A hideous creature, a Big Man of the worst ilk. A man who has come to power on Uhuru petrol but who has run his nation out of gas and into the ground on communist and land reformist and ultimately, and perhaps inevitably, suicidal bearings.

So. I ask why? It must be friendship, or at least Anglophile predilections to same. All good and well.

If I were so inclined, that is to say, to support my friends in spirit and substance, where and with whom would I hunt?

Not wanting, of course, to enrich the powers that be, or to further the ends of the ones who are on the path of, and who seem hell bound to continue toward, Armageddon.

Put another way, why and with whom should I hunt in Zimbabwe? I do not mean, and would not want, to put anyone at risk and, of course, PMs in response are welcome.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13617 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
As usual, we tend to suggest those with whom we have hunted. This year I hunted with Myles McCallum of Charlton-McCallum Safaris. I posted a report here and a postscript here.

I would gladly hunt with Myles again and I think you would enjoy it.

If you read the Zimbabwe hunt reports you will find a number of satisfied clients from quite a few safari companies and PHs. Like anywhere else, be careful and check references, as well as checking that none of the "prohibited" Mugabe cronies are involved. I think you would truly enjoy it.

NB: I hunted Zimbabwe because of the history, the reputation for excellent hunting, and the value. Having been there, I like others want to return to support those trying to make a living doing what they love under trying circumstances.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Along with Charles (and no doubt many others) I would have no problem recommending Charlton McCallum Safaris. They are very experienced while still being youthful and a lot of fun.

I hunted Zim because I wanted to chase elephant and that was the only place I could do it within my budget. What I found in the end were people that are amazingly resilient and flexible in an environment that would have made many of us quit long ago. How they do that (and very well I might add) is something I haven't quite figured out. They have alot of respect from me and I am not an easy sell in that regard.

I now consider those guys to be personal friends and would go out of my way to help them. They are also welcome in my home and I will entertain some of them next year in Alaska.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Bottomline: cheapest place to hunt DG.

PH's*: The best preparatory training in Africa.

Trackers: Like I said in my book, not only are they usually quite skilled at their craft but seem to be genuinely nice guys**.

The Honky's: I have to admire them for toughing it out in very difficult circumstances.

The Non-Honky's: For the most part, a kind, courteous, non-violent, and appreciative bunch of folks***.

*No, I do not fall in love with the PH's, as some (most) are wont to do (have heard too many clients discussed in camps!). Wink

** If I have to pick, I trust the judgment of the trackers over the PH's.

*** They appear to be of a much less violent nature than some variations further south. I also have to admire them for also having to tough it out in very difficult circumstances.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19359 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I forgot to add that the Zambezi valley is the greatest place on earth. And that I do love. Smiler

Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Zambezi valley, Yuk! Just a hot rocky scrubby awful place!

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will, who are "Honkys"?

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:

Overlooking the valley with the mountains in Zambia faintly in the background.

What's not to like about a tsetse fly, mopane bee, and snake infested hot, humid, and dusty wasteland? Smiler

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
Bottomline: cheapest place to hunt DG.

PH's*: The best preparatory training in Africa.

Trackers: Like I said in my book, not only are they usually quite skilled at their craft but seem to be genuinely nice guys**.

The Honky's: I have to admire them for toughing it out in very difficult circumstances.

The Non-Honky's: For the most part, a kind, courteous, non-violent, and appreciative bunch of folks***.

*No, I do not fall in love with the PH's, as some (most) are wont to do (have heard too many clients discussed in camps!). Wink

** If I have to pick, I trust the judgment of the trackers over the PH's.

*** They appear to be of a much less violent nature than some variations further south. I also have to admire them for also having to tough it out in very difficult circumstances.

beer

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I still like Leon duPlessis. He isn't a really large operator but the trophy quality is fantastic and you are treated extremely well every time.
Them Duckworth boys run a good operation too.

Posts: 2826 | Location: Houston | Registered: 01 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
Will,

Well said, and great picture. I will be in Zim in 10 days.

BigBullet

"Half the FUN of the travel is the esthetic of LOSTNESS" Ray Bradbury
https://www.facebook.com/Natal...443607135825/?ref=hl

Posts: 1224 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Charlton McCullum Safaris, Roger Whittall Safaris, The Duckworths aka Makore Safaris, The RosenFelts (sp?) aka Western Safaris.

I know there are more fine operators but I know these folks. I have hunted with Chrlton McCullum Safaris and Roger Whittall Safaris.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted woth Chifuti in late June /early July. I recommend them highly. They are a class act and work very hard for anyone who hunts with them. Cheers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first time to Zimbabwe will be with Gary Duckworth in 4 days and a wake-up. I'll let you know, but I think I already know the answer!
Gary

Political correctness entails intolerance for some prejudices but impunity for others. James Taranto

Posts: 152 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't go! Give me you ticket and I will let you know how it is

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger Whittall Safaris. I hunted 15 days in June for leopard, buffalo, and plains game. Hunted hard, took all species. PH's are experienced and camps well supplied. Food was wonderful. Chewore is a exciting place to be on foot. Would definitely go back. Scott Hayman

Posts: 418 | Location: Ridgecrest,Ca | Registered: 02 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Johnathan Hulme (David's brother, Zambezi Hunters), Roger Whittall Safaris, Ticky Drummond (Bubiana), Impala Safaris/Arnold Payne. Right people, right places = game. LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want a 1st class PH, plenty of choice for game and have a real deal hunt, I would say in Zim it is John Sharp.
bobga

Posts: 201 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
It is a God's country after all - Paul Meyers put it perfect in his This Land of Ours beer.

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

After Texas, the Zambezi Valley is heaven.

Posts: 10359 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
No, I do not fall in love with the PH's, as some (most) are wont to do (have heard too many clients discussed in camps!).

LMAO! You mean I am NOT the best shot, funniest jokester, greatest stalker and most intrepid hunter and all-around toughest guy they ever had in camp? For shame!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7557 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The question is not will they talk about me but rather what will they say? That part is up to you. If you can't shoot, can't walk, complain all of the time or whatever that's your fault.

If you treat people right, they might just have good things to say in return.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies, both here and in private.

I will have to think about this some more.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13617 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've heard all good regarding www.tshabezisafaris.com
I know a guy who shot a Bull with 71 and 72 pound tusks.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you can't shoot, can't walk, complain all of the time or whatever that's your fault.

If you treat people right, they might just have good things to say in return.

I guess I could take that as a shot across the bow but think I'll chalk it up to inexperience...

YD, how many safaris do you have under your belt now? The more you go the more nuggets of truth you will find in what some of the veterans like Will and others post on these forums.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7557 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:

I guess I could take that as a shot across the bow but think I'll chalk it up to inexperience...

YD, how many safaris do you have under your belt now? The more you go the more nuggets of truth you will find in what some of the veterans like Will and others post on these forums.

I just figured my legend was spreading. I swear, I almost never complain in my sleep Big Grin , and I shot at least one rifle perfectly when sighting in! moon

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try Gordon Duncan with Doma Safaris and Shaangan Hunters. He has done well by me, on my last two hunts, despite my excellent shooting, impeccable habits and general delightful disposition

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
quote:

Overlooking the valley with the mountains in Zambia faintly in the background.

What's not to like about a tsetse fly, mopane bee, and snake infested hot, humid, and dusty wasteland? Smiler

A snake infested, hot, humid, and dusty wasteland?

Sigh. Sounds just like home...

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As these things often do this has got off topic and has taken on a life of its own so I'll just take the liberty of writing what comes up for me. Concerning what the PH says about his clients when they are not around. Who cares! You buy the PH's services for the duration of the hunt. Part of what you buy is him adapting to you and your abilities plus being at least pleasant to deal with.

Safari is such a personal expereince for the client that it is easy to develop a bond with the PH if everything goes well. Just don't loose sight of the fact that the PH has a similiar expereince with many people each year.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13004 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ...................

You show up in Africa and "live" with a guy for a week or two, that has so much more experience than you, is living an enviable life (see Living the Good Life) and lifestyle (I'd love to be in shorts and flip-flops 365 days a year), hunts all the time, gets to experience many hair-raising events that you never will, and assuming he or you are not completely at odds, then what is not to like?

And a camp in Africa is nothing if not a center for rumors and gossip. There are so few honkys around that apparently most everyone knows or knows of most every other honky, but gossiping and discussing previous clients gets carried away sometimes, especially in the presence of other clients.

How else could my bad reputation have spread so far and wide? Smiler

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
How else could my bad reputation have spread so far and wide?

That can't be true Will. The last two times I was in Africa the PH's and I couldn't have spent more than an evening or two talking about you. Smiler Mind you, I have never been to Zim, so... Razzer

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote