THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    A few preliminary pics from Tanzania
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A few preliminary pics from Tanzania
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Spring
posted
I'll work up a full hunting report sometime in the days ahead, but in the meantime here are a few pics from our trip that you might enjoy:

From The Crater

My son, Victor's, lesser kudu

My gerenuk

My oryx

Victor's white-bearded wildebeest

A Masai warrior and his son

My grants

Victor's grants, which of course, was better than mine.....

Victor's topi. We each shot one.

My Lichtenstein's hartebeest

My sable

One of Victor's zebras

My thomsons. We each shot one.

Victor's buffalo; a one-shot kill. He ran about 65 yards.

Building one of our leopard blinds

In the blind

A couple of pics of the leopard. We used a very intereresting technique to get him.

The leopard kill celebration!

My east-African waterbuck

Relaxing towards the end of our hunt

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
If these are preliminary, I can't wait to see the final ones. Great picts. Congrats!!

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Very nice pictures! It is great that you could share all of this with your son.

I look forward to your detailed report. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Wow. I think your son had an experience of a lifetime. It must have been great to go on safari with your son that way.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Excellent photos! Congratulations, Vic.

Posts: 1046 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic Photos great Trophys looks like the perfect East African Safari...Thanks for sharing Photos !

r.
Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a great hunt! An those are some amazing photos and trophies! Please say hi to your son and congratulate him as well. I`m a pretty young guy myself, and must say I`m impressed and envious.. Smiler One day though... Smiler

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Spring- Congratulations. You got some great animals. Tell your son "good shooting"! Having just returned from Namibia with my son, I know firsthand what a special time you two had.

John

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellecnt pictures,thanks very much for sharring them.

Like your freedom...Thank a Vet.

Posts: 29 | Location: NJ | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic Hunt...!!! Congratulations...!!!

I can't wait for the full story & more pics!

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations here and many thanks for sharing the pictures.Looks like you have been " working" hard.What a collection.You will undoubtedly cherish the memories forever

Posts: 795 | Location: CA,,the promised land | Registered: 05 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great pictures, but I bet you will savor the memories even more.

Posts: 8274 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vic,

Sounds like a great safari for you and you son! Congratulations!

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Absolutely great pictures from a great hunt. Thank you for sharing and I look forward to more. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
What a bunch of great pictures! Great Father/son stuff!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent pictures! Your son's Grants is very nice.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
Nice trophies and tremendous photos - there is big smile in each one. Thanks for sharing.

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Well done boys!!! Can't wait for the stories......

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
Spring,

Awesome pictures and a lot of smiles on your son's face. Well done and thank you for sharing your hunt.

BigBullet

BigBullet

"Half the FUN of the travel is the esthetic of LOSTNESS" Ray Bradbury
https://www.facebook.com/Natal...443607135825/?ref=hl

Posts: 1224 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great photos!!! Looks like an excellent variety of trophies and wonderful memories. Congratulations.

Phil

Posts: 535 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 17 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Don't you want another son ???
Roll Eyes

Great pictures!!!!
Congrats
L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a fantastic safari. I am sure both you and your son will cherish these memories for your entire lives. Congratulations. I hope to be able to do the same thing for my son one day. Hugh

Posts: 435 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fusino
posted Hide Post
These are preliminary? What great photos! Thanks for sharing and congratulations on what looks like an incredible hunt.

--->Happiness is nothing but health and a poor memory<---Albert Schweitzer
--->All I ever wanted was to be somebody; I guess I should have been more specific<---Lily Tomlin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How did the Beretta .470 work out?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Wow, isn't Tanzania a magical place? I am surprised you didn't shoot a Roan? I thought that block had a load of Roan in it?

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Wow, what a fantastic adventure for a father and son to share! Congratulations on great trophies and for raising a son who obviously will follow in his old man's steps as he ages.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
I never used it! The area where we hunted required us to make some difficult stalks to get near the buffalo. Frequently they were well out in the plains or in somewhat open areas in large groups. Each time the buff were well beyond the comfortable reach of a double rifle, especially when I had a .375 behind me in my son's hands. I wanted to use my .470, and had it ready for the opportunity, but it was the .375 that I ultimately had to have in my hands if I wanted a down a buff. After a year of testing, preparing, and loading all my 470 softs and solids, that was disappointing! Frowner

one of us
posted Hide Post
Spring

After all that angst about the cost of ammo and going through changes to get started in reloading, you could have said you tried a shot and a branch got in the way or somesuch. Anyways, nice pics. Too bad you're killing me on dial-up, though.

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes nut

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spring:
I never used it!.... After a year of testing, preparing, and loading all my 470 softs and solids, that was disappointing! Frowner

Dang, that is not good! I am headed into Kgosi soon and want to use my double, but will have a scoped 375 behind me as I suspected the shots may be long if you get them out on the floodplains.

Well, that last photo of you with the double looks nice at least!

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
Wendell,
A double does indeed look good in a pic, though I surely wish I could have used it during the hunt. I did have it ready during stalks, but we usually reached a point where trying to get closer would have ruined opportunities. I also had it out when we were looking for my son's leopard. We found it dead no more than 25 yards from where it was shot, but it ran into some thick stuff that had everyone on edge until it was found. I had the same situation when following blood in the long grass on my son's buff. It's circumstances like these that doubles feel good in your hands.
As for a roan, we did indeed look hard for one, especially as we neared the end of the hunt and had few things left on our list. Even in July getting a good burn was difficult in some areas, though in some spots it did very well. We started fires often while there. Fires they had started in late June had a tough time getting going. Hunting anything in the grass is tough, but by Sept the whole place should be burned. As young grass gets going, they say the roan are easier to find.
As for Kisigo, I hear it is second only to Moyowsi in popularity for the tsetse flies... Be ready for them..... Eeker

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Vic,

Tell that young man congrats on superb shooting...Photos are exceptional...Looking forward to the rest of the story...
I too hunted with my son last year in Zim...memories of a lifetime...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting. Those are excellent animals, including everything one would think of for a safari from Tanzania.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Great photos and a wonderful hunt. Your youthful appearance is deceiving when next to your son. Looks like brothers.

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great time and wonderful photos. Your son is very fortunate! When you get a chance, let us know more about how your PH judged the lions age. Was it by nose color?

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
My "youthful appearance"? Thanks! Using pics that show me from a distance seems to have its advantages.... Eeker

one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
SBT,
I have a video of that lion that I'd like to get online. I think some of you might enjoy seeing it. In that video you can't see the lion's nose color, but it was something we discussed as we looked at him with binocs. This lion would just sit there for a bit in the brush as we approached in the Land Rover to check the bait.
As for judging the lion's age, the PH looked for several things. He looked for mane length, nose color (this one did have it partially dark), hair towards its elbows, facial scars, ect. No one thing would tell you the age, but somewhat a combination all these. My PH, Robin Voight, showed me a series of lion pics at various ages starting at about 3 and on up to about 10. You really could begin to get a feel for how old a lion might be based upon the many pics he had. I had been making the case that this lion was old enough when seeing it, but after watching the lion sit there and later turn and walk from my left to right, I compared what I had seen with the pics Robin had and regretfully decided the lion was 5 years old. He was a big and good looking lion (body-wise) and clearly was one that would have been shot by most safari companies in the past. He would have been shot by me if I could have gotten away with it! mgun
Probably the biggest tangible reason to argue against shooting the lion was the fact that there was a lioness there with him with 2 cubs. We were not sure of the cub’s ages, but if they were under 6 months, another male lion likely would have killed them in order to get the lioness to go into estrus rather than possibly waiting the normal 2 years.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice leopard and buff for your son but I really like the Grant's...absolutely beautiful. clap

However, given many of the things I've read on AR, I am suprised you managed to come back alive let alone actually put some animals in the salt ....my goodness not only did you use a bolt-action Blaser shame....but it had a muzzle brake. shame Does anyone in your party have any hearing bewilderedleft? roflmao roflmao roflmao roflmao roflmao roflmao roflmao roflmao roflmao roflmao

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Vic, it's nice to see another hunter in the making--if not already and completely MADE!

Congratulations.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13642 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vic,

Do you mind my asking what kind of photo setup you are using? Digital? Fantastic, magazine quality photos!

My favorite of the plains animals in your bag is the grants gazelle. Although, your lesser kudu is making me drool on my keyboard. Wish those two could be found in RSA. Frowner

"If you hunt to eat, or hunt for sport for something fine, something that will make you proud, and make you remember every single detail of the day you found him and shot him, that is good too." – Robert Chester Ruark

one of us
posted Hide Post
Vic,
Very nice pictures. Where did you hunt for the Masaailand species? Very nice Grant's!

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote