THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    A few preliminary pics from Tanzania
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A few preliminary pics from Tanzania
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
Stagman,
The photos that I've posted so far were all taken on the simplest camera that I took which was the Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-P200. It's a 7.2 mega pixel camera. That said, I rarely had the camera set on the "fine" setting, typically only using the "normal." I've had two other Sony digital cameras similar to this (the P-9 and the P-10), but find this latest model to be my favorite.
I also took my trusty Nikon 8008S SLR 35mm and still have 9 rolls of film here on my desk at the moment that needs to get developed. Between the 300+ digital pics I took, the digital pics my son took, and the 35mm pics (not to mention 3 1/2 hours of video), I think we have our trip well documented! Smiler

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vic,

Awesome stuff!

The look on your son's face says it all!

I can't wait to see that same one on my son's someday!

Jeff

one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
quote:

Where did you hunt for the Masaailand species?

Bwanamich,
We were in Monduli. We had planned on hunting there for 5 days but finished in three. We ended up spending one night up on Monduli Joo, their camp that's at 7800 feet elevation before heading to Moyowsi Central a day earlier than originally scheduled.
I was particularly proud of the oryx as no one was able to get one there last year and very few are ever seen in Monduli. We were on a ridge one afternoon glassing for things and the PH, trackers, scout, ect were seeing nothing. I decided to check out an area where no one was looking that was maybe 1K away. I spotted 2 big creatures that I didn't readily identify. After pointing them out to a tracker, he about fell out of the Land Cruiser trying to tell the PH what I had spotted. It took a very long and tedious stalk to get up on them as there was very little cover between us. Using the random tree here and there and staying tightly in a line behind my PH, somehow we got there. We were also helped by the fact that the male happened to lie down for a while, getting his eyes lower, which helped us by only having to avoid the view of the female as she grazed.
My son's grants was special indeed. We had turned down so many over the 3 days, or had had a zebra and such blow a stalk. It was great to keep high standards and finally have things work out.

One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
Beautiful Photos - I really love that Gerenuk. How long where you on safari? It certainly couldn't have been a short trip. Haveing that many cameras and takig that many photos is the only way to do it. Congrats to you and your son.

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Riodot. We hunted for 21 days after first visiting the Ngorongoro Crater. That crater is indeed a photographer's paradise, though I could probably say the same for so many places in TZ if I had to time to visit them.

one of us
Picture of aktoklat
posted Hide Post
Beautiful photos. Congratulations on a very successful safari!

Focus on the leading edge!

Posts: 453 | Location: Louisiana by way of Alaska | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Vic,

I sure wish I was your son! I love the Grant's and Thomson's gazelles, they are two of my favorite. What caliber did your son use to shoot the leopard? It looks like you had the gun restocked as well.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
I don't think I could afford another son, Sevens.... Wink For the leopard he used my .300WM loaded with some bullets I made. It's a custom gun that I've had for 15 years.

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Makes me wish my Dad had been a hunter...

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
Wonderful photos, and congratulations on the trophies.

Hope to take my son someday.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a successful hunt Vic! I look forward to reading the rest of your report.

George

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Greensboro, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Vic, that is going to be a safari to remember for years to come for both of you. My son is still a few years away from a first safari, but your pics and story have me planning already. I hope your kid realized how truly fortunate he is; and that goes far beyond the money it takes to make a trip like this.

Congratulations to you both,
FBB

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Wow, congrat's Vic to you and your son on a great hunt and some super trophies. The pict's are great, clearly you took some time to setup the shots. I'm sure your boy knows how lucky he is...but do like I do and keep reminding him anyway! Big Grin

How are you going to mount the lesser kudu? Full mount perhaps???

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Bill, and on your suggestion I'll be sure and pass along to Victor that he should thank me more often! Wink As for taxidermy, the only thing we're planning to mount whole is Victor's leopard. Until I can come up with a different place to put these things I drag home, the big stuff will have to wait... sleep

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vic,
Great pics and congratulations on a wonderful hunt. As stated earlier, we have got to get together and compare notes. Kudude

PS: I have been going at half speed recovering from food poisoning I got on the way home. k-d

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote