New
Find
Notify
Tools

another tipping question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What do you guys do when your PH is your operator? Tipping an owner is, according to Emily Post, inappropriate. In the past, I have hunted with a PH employed by the operator, and have given what I think are good tips. Just not sure what to do in this new circumstance.

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Marty,

Only my opinion but if an owner/PH does a good job for you why would you not tip him? The tip is an acknowledgement of a job well done not a supplement to a salary so what difference does it make whether the PH is an owner or employee? On my last safari in '07 I hunted with one of the principals of the company. It never crossed my mind that I should tip him less than if he was an employee.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12875 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
If the owner of the hunting company was also my PH, and if I felt, at the end of my hunt, that a tip was warranted, then yes, I would tip him.

In fact, I have done that very thing on more than one occasion! Wink

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13397 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
I just hunted with the owner as my PH. I never considered that I should somehow either not tip him or provide less of a tip.

What are the odds that the other PH's that are employed know the property or are better than the owner? To me, it seems odd to want to somehow give less when the outfitter has likely provided you with one of, if not, their best PH's.

Posts: 535 | Location: Greensburg, PA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I think the tip should be based on service. If the Outfitter is your PH and works hard to show you a good time, a tip is in order. The outfitter should be working as hard or harder then the PH's he hires. He should be setting an example for others in his company

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I agree with all of the above. I don't think Mrs. Post had Phs in mind when she came up with that rule.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
The rank of a person with in an organization should have nothing what so ever to do with giving a tip or not giving a tip, it should be based soley on the performance of the individual. JMO.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
It is not his fault that he is the owner and PH.. But if he does his job as PH he deserves a tip if one is willing to tip...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Absolutely tip him if he's earned it.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with all of the above.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
I guess I use a different guideline; as a general rule I tip employees but not the owners of businesses. If I've tipped an owner before, it was because I didn't know that they weren't just an employee.

As a generality (and maybe safari hunting is an exception), I think of it as kind of insulting to tip the business owner. However, I do try to take some kind of gift to show appreciation to the PH who is also an owner, just not with the $50 handshake.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tip the PH if he has earned it. Doesn't make any difference if he is also the operator/outfitter/owner or whatever.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is not his fault that he is the owner and PH..

Actually, he would be the ONLY one responsible for deciding if he hires a PH or does the work himself, no? That would seem to make the arrangement only "his fault".

I am going to deviate from popular opinion here and say that leaving a "cash tip" for the owner of a safari company would be a bit insulting and makes little sense. If the guy isn't making enough money on the daily rates and trophy fees, he has the power to raise his prices. This is VERY different from the contract PH who depends on tips and is basically stuck accepting the wage that the market dictates given an expectation of those tips. I don't tip the owner of a restaurant if he/she waits on me because they have the power to raise the price of a steak dinner if they need the money. Not so for the waiter making $5.00 an hour because of the cultural tradition of tipping waiters.

Now, all of this is not to say that I wouldn't leave a nice gift for the owner of the company as a gesture of my appreciation or perhaps reciprocate in some other way.

JMHO

One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
This is a prime example of how tipping has gotten out of hand.

Tipping was originated for people in the service industry who make very low wages. (Ex. your waitress at a resturant) Then if they gave you service that was above the call of duty they might recieve a tip of gratitude for there exceptional work.

Originaly tipping your guide developed along the same lines as they dont make alot of money sometimes but can greatly affect your hunt.

In general a tip has become expected normal behavior no matter the service.

I dont believe in tipping the safari company operator. He alredy is getting his money.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To the original question - yes, I would tip and yes, I did on one of our trips.

Posts: 10194 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes I would tip

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
I don't know it seems to me that if they do a good job give them a good tip. If he is filling the role of the ph and you tip your ph then tip away. I don't think someone is wrong with the logic in not tipping, just I would not be comfortable not tipping a job welldone.

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I agree with the above poster that tipping has gotten out of hand. The safari operator should be paying his employees a fair wage and a tip should be for service that is above average and not expected.

I also don't think it necessary to tip the owner of a safari operation but, with everyone doing so, it will probably become the norm if it isn't already so.

Just out of curiosity, how many have not tipped when service was below average or downright poor?

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wonder what non-USA hunters say?
peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
In Zimbabwe - 08 i hunted with the owner i gave over 2k in tip to my Ph, in Namibia 2007 i also hunted with the owner of the company he got 0 USD ! I tip after service, as it should be !

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Devil's advocate time:

Do you tip your other professionals -- (Based on your Perception of Service or at all)----

Airline Pilot
Lawyer
Accountant
Dentist
Physician
Banker
Architect
Aircraft Mechanic
etc
etc--

and others that may directly effect or have your life/future in their hands--

As to hunts, I have tipped well, at least I was repeatedly and enthusiastically thanked for it.

I do think the whole thing is getting a bit out of hand though, particularly when the operators begin listing schedules of the expectations.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DuggaBoye,

I don't know why some people get tipped and other not. I suppose the intimate realtionship between the PH and client has something to do with it. I have to agree that when someone comes at me with a list of people they expect me to tip I start to get bugged. On a very expensive Botswana safari I was presented a list of 23 people and asked to write in how much I'd like to tip each one. I'd been there 3 days and was changing camps on the next day. I had no idea at all what these folks all did or if they had enhanced my very short stay at all. I gave the PH a very modest tip for the whole 23 person crew and told him to figure it out.

I'm an advocate of tipping and tipping well but tips are not to be expected as supplements to wages. Personally I feel if the client does not bring up tipping that it should never be mentioned. On the other hand I think that a client that has received good service should volunteer a tip for the PH and crew.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12875 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do think the whole thing is getting a bit out of hand though, particularly when the operators begin listing schedules of the expectations.

If I saw on a safari operator's web site, in his literature or if I came to know that a particular operator expected certain amounts in tips, I would never book with said operator.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Again, not African, but I have told many aspiring "Guides" here in Texas that if they are wanting to get into the business because of the "Tips", to get out before they even start.

Some folks tip me, some don't, all get the same service and a tip of any kind is appreciated.

I have had hunters tip the camp staff, which is perfectlty fine with me.

In fact if some one who is helping with extra clients by guiding or helps with the meals and asks me if a client offers them a tip, what should they do, I tell them to take it and be very appreciative.

I want clients to give me a tip if they feel that I did a good enough job to deserve it.

I don't want anyone giving me a tip because they think they have to.

Also, and I have stated this elsewhere, a tip from someone that I know that really can't afford it, means a hell of a lot more to me than one from someone just trying to impress someone by giving a large tip.

I go along with the idea that if I am looking at a guides/outfitters information brochures and it is stated that a certain amount is required as a tip, I ain't booking with them.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
i tip base on the level of service- not on who( PH or owner) provided it.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13163 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
I have not seen any brochure or website that stated a required tip. I normally see that the fee doesn't include gratuity or that gratuities are appreciated. I was trying to do a "survey" of what is the expected tip and other than sites like this I had a hard time finding any information.

It seems with the larger outfitters aren't guiding PG hunts so the PH would not be the owner. On the smaller outfitters I would definitely tip my PH based on performance (effort and knowledge) even if they are the "owner". After all with the smaller outfitters being the owner doesn't mean they have more. It just means they are the ones that are risking more to make this available to me.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 633 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It has been a while since I looked at any brochures from Africa, but I do remember some back in the late 90's, up to 2000, that listed incidental daily fees of up to "X" amount which covered tipping for the Safari Staff.

One of Us
Picture of OldHandgunHunter
posted Hide Post
I hunted in that situation for a couple of years and tipped the PH/Owner 50% of what I would have tipped just a PH.

That said, I now think that was a mistake and have gone to tipping any PH the same way ~100/day for a DG hunt, without regard to whether or not he has an ownership stake in the company. In fact, I once hunted for a month with 2 PH's at once - where the 2nd PH ran the concession we were using - and I tipped the both about the same.

Tipping, in the context of total safari cost, is not a true driver, but for the PH it's a very important part of his livlihood -- so, I've decided that unless the PH is a jerk or does a poor job, I'd rather be accused of overtipping than the reverse. It just seems like a better plan to err on the upside for good service.

When you get bored with life, start hunting dangerous game with a handgun.

Posts: 495 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have and would tip the owner/PH based on the level of success and satisfaction. The owner did not expect a tip and was very reasonable when I asked him what would be a good tip for his employees. I then gave the owner a 10% tip my entire bill.

Learn from Yesterday
Live in Today
Live for Tomorrow!