Find
Notify
Tools

Is a 7MM STW ok PG
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Harold R. Stephens
posted
I have a 7mm STW that I would use for plains game when I go to Africa. It is the largest caliber I have, but I feel like it would knock the snot out of anything on the face of the earth. Granted the biggest thing to date shot with it was a 255 # feral hog in south Texas. Through the shoulder at 180 yards, 140 grn Accubond, DRT as with all the animals I have shot with it.

Founding member of the 7MM STW club

Member of the Texas Cull Hunters Association

Posts: 512 | Location: Granbury, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Yes. I would suggest heavy for caliber premium bullets however, something like a 165gr. Swift A-Frame if you have Sable, Kudu, Gemsbok and certainly Eland on schedule.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
I can't see why it wouldn't do the job. I've got one that I've killed elk and moose with. I'd be tempted to use a TSX in it but it sure should do the job. We shot 12 animals with TSX bullets on our last trip and they impressed the heck out of me.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I was hunting in a place like Zimbabwe, where shots are usually under 250 yards, I would go with a Premium 175gr bullet.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
If I was hunting in a place like Zimbabwe, where shots are usually under 250 yards, I would go with a Premium 175gr bullet.

+1.

I took one to Zim in 98 with 150XBT.......too light a bullet.

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ask Gerard about his testing with the STW on most SA game, the results were all good.
It all comes down to premium bullets, and accurate shot placement. If you shoot it well then take it, if you are scared of it and likely to flinch then take a 7x57/.308 equivalent in a comfortable rifle, it is more than enough gun for any plains game anywhere.

Posts: 423 | Location: Natal - South Africa | Registered: 23 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An excellent flat shooting caliber with a punch at the receiving end.
Be sure to have sufficient ammo and preferably pack in 2 separate cases in the event one gets "lost" as you may surely have a problem in buying some locally.
I would also stick to 175gr. all as it will do the trick on big and small and not interfere with scope adjustments.

Posts: 307 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 19 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ain't scairt of it, it's my go to rifle.

Will depend on my ultimate destination as it has a varmint taper SS (stainless steel) barrel and will be a consideration as to how much walking we will be doing. Not sure if SS will be a problem, but I could wrap the barrel with a camo tape. I am good to 600 yards with this gun and am very confident if I can see hair, It will not go far.

PS, Thanks for the replys, it helps with my planning.

Posts: 512 | Location: Granbury, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Ya, it's kind of sad the 7mm STW is going the way of the dinosaur. What rifle is yours in? Damn hard to find one in a production rifle any more.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with the caliber for plains game. Although I did not take it to Africa, my 7mm STW tosses a 175 Nosler Partition at 3100 fps -- flat enough for any range. A 160 Partition would also be adequate for anything, although it would be nice to have something heavier for giraffe and eland if they're on your dance card.

However, I would not take a varmint weight gun on a plains game hunt. They're just not made for carrying around, even if you're in a vehicle much of the time. If you can afford an African hunt, you can also afford to buy yourself a quality .300 magnum sporter of some type. Load it with 180 Partitions and bang away.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
Hello Harold

I have hunted plains game in Africa twice with my 7mm STW. It works very well but for larger animals like Kudu you should only use a well constructed 160 or 175 grain bullet, a lighter bullet will not work well on the larger antelopes. I used nosler partitions.

Regards
Aziz

photo 5a71b091-8ccb-440e-8358-1ba8fe6939cb_zpsga1mmy00.jpg

Posts: 591 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took 7mm STW to RSA last year using Federal factory loads with 160gr Accubonds. All shots on the 10 animals I killed were 200 yds or less, and all but 3 were pass throughs. Two animals required a second finishing shot, but no animal went any further than 75 yards after the first shot. The largest plains game animals I shot were Kudu and Waterbuck. I would have had no qualms about shooting an Eland with this rifle/load.
This same rifle/load combo anchored a 6x5 bull elk the previous year, and a stone sheep after the RSA trip. I have had this rifle for 12 years and have had it tweaked to my liking.It is a Remington Sendero, I had it powder coated ( the stainless steel was a touch shiny in spots) and put a Nightforce scope on it prior to the RSA trip.Yes it's heavier than average(11 lbs), but is balanced nice, holds well for an offhand shot and soaks up recoil well.
If you are comfortable and confident with your rifle, tweak it if needed, practice on, but mostly away from the bench, and get a copy of "The Perfect Shot" by Robertson.
A larger caliber isn't better if you don't know where the kill zone is on African animals, and can't hit it. The other three hunters in camp all lost an animal each
( Zebra, Blue Wildebeest, Warthog), and two of these same hunters had overnight or two day followup on wounded game( Warthog, Blesbok).
They were using .300 or .338, and had used the rifles they brought for many years. The shot placement was off, in each case.
I think your rifle choice is just fine for plains game, go to a heavier bullet 160 gr at least, and you'll do fine.
Then you'll be figuring out how to go back ASAP!

Posts: 132 | Location: Fort Nelson, BC | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sheephunterab:
Ya, it's kind of sad the 7mm STW is going the way of the dinosaur. What rifle is yours in? Damn hard to find one in a production rifle any more.

It's a Savge 112 SBVS from the custom Savage shop. It's made from all factory Savage components, pre accu trigger and plastic stock.

Was made for a guy to go to Alaska but he never made it and I bought it from a vender liquidating his guns he never shot any more. It was NIB never fired when I got it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wsquared:
I took 7mm STW to RSA last year using Federal factory loads with 160gr Accubonds. All shots on the 10 animals I killed were 200 yds or less, and all but 3 were pass throughs. Two animals required a second finishing shot, but no animal went any further than 75 yards after the first shot. The largest plains game animals I shot were Kudu and Waterbuck. I would have had no qualms about shooting an Eland with this rifle/load.
This same rifle/load combo anchored a 6x5 bull elk the previous year, and a stone sheep after the RSA trip. I have had this rifle for 12 years and have had it tweaked to my liking.It is a Remington Sendero, I had it powder coated ( the stainless steel was a touch shiny in spots) and put a Nightforce scope on it prior to the RSA trip.Yes it's heavier than average(11 lbs), but is balanced nice, holds well for an offhand shot and soaks up recoil well.
If you are comfortable and confident with your rifle, tweak it if needed, practice on, but mostly away from the bench, and get a copy of "The Perfect Shot" by Robertson.
A larger caliber isn't better if you don't know where the kill zone is on African animals, and can't hit it. The other three hunters in camp all lost an animal each
( Zebra, Blue Wildebeest, Warthog), and two of these same hunters had overnight or two day followup on wounded game( Warthog, Blesbok).
They were using .300 or .338, and had used the rifles they brought for many years. The shot placement was off, in each case.
I think your rifle choice is just fine for plains game, go to a heavier bullet 160 gr at least, and you'll do fine.
Then you'll be figuring out how to go back ASAP!

I am very confident with this rifle and will have plenty of practice with off hand shots practicing on pigs in south Texas. Was plnning on at least 160 grn Accubonds or some other heavier bullet. The 140 grn Accubond work good on this rifle so I think any of the others weights will work well.

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Harold R. Stephens:
quote:
Originally posted by sheephunterab:

It's a Savge 112 SBVS from the custom Savage shop. It's made from all factory Savage components, pre accu trigger and plastic stock.

Was made for a guy to go to Alaska but he never made it and I bought it from a vender liquidating his guns he never shot any more. It was NIB never fired when I got it.

If I'm not mistaken, Blaser has the only factory offering these days. Sad really when you consider how many manufactuers once offered this chambering. Americans are definitely reluctant to embrace any metric calibres and putting an "mm" behind a cartridge seems to be its death sentence. The 7RM is of course the one exception.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just be sure to use a premium bullet because if you get a close up shot you don't want it to blow up on top due to the high impact velocity. If the 7STW won't kill them, they can't be killt. I'd take one after PG in a heartbeat, although I'm a 300 WM guy myself. Just like anything, a good hit with a .243 beats a bad hit with a .375 HH everytime.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
Just be sure to use a premium bullet because if you get a close up shot you don't want it to blow up on top due to the high impact velocity. If the 7STW won't kill them, they can't be killt. I'd take one after PG in a heartbeat, although I'm a 300 WM guy myself. Just like anything, a good hit with a .243 beats a bad hit with a .375 HH everytime.

Yea, I know about blow ups. Shot a pig at about 60 yards on the shoulder and had the biggest entry hole I have ever seen. With the STW I get a bigger case than a 300 Win Mag and better BC in bullets to 175 grn. Should be able to take down anything PG including the bigger antelopes.

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I would not be afraid to use a 264 mag,7mm rem mag or anything in its class. I'd look at a premium 160 grain in 7mm or 140 in 6.5mm. Have fun!!!

Posts: 2329 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love the 7mm STW and use it in my battery as my long range member of my kit:

1)7mm STW (140 gr @ 3500 fps)
2) .375 Weatherby (270 gr bullets)
3) .416 Rigby (I love the sharp modern shoulder and 410 gr bullets)
4) 12.7x70 Schuler Jumbo

No worries with 175 gr bullets on medium size game.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote