New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buff Quality
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
On average, is the trophy quality on the buff's in Zambia any better than those in TZ or Zim? I talked to a person that book some hunt's there last year. He said all his hunters took buff over 40 inches. This seems a little hard to believe. His hunts were a little cheaper than a 7/day hunt in TZ.

Posts: 472 | Location: Bothell WA | Registered: 31 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I doubt that there are any better buffalo than in Tanzania, thats been my experience, but you can kill big buffalo in a lot of places...they are like gold, just wherever you find them...but I suspect the record book would show Tanzania on top of the heap over the last 20 years...

Tanzania averages 38" bulls lets say, but has anyone questioned why? Because many hunters take that size bull by choice; because many are afraid of going home without one so they take an nice 38 inch with big bosses; because most hunts are 7 days; not everyone is a trophy hunter and most in fact are satisfied with a representitive trophy, they realize the difference is an inch of horn on each side between a 38 and a 40, thats one inch on each horn, wow!; I am sure there are other reasons such as lets get the buff so I can get the quota of plainsgame....

Bottom line is big bulls come to those who wait and in 7 days I think most would get a 40 plus bull in most of Tanzanias concessions...I have seen 43 to 45 inch bulls on almost every trip that I have been on, but you don't always get those old boys, they outsmart you or outwalk you or who knows what...they are there.

I am omitting fenced ranches where buffalo can be managed, and much of Zambia, RSA is fenced buffalo hunting, now I am not condeming those ranches, many are great hunts, but that is part of the scenario...

Posts: 41834 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Donato - the two PH's I spoke with who operate in the Luangwa Valley were careful to not make any guarantees, but indicated that there are a lot of buffalo, last year they were taking 40" plus bulls, and that they expect to do so again this year. I would personally base any decision on the "experience" more than the "potential trophy size". However, that being said, why hunt somewhere that does not hold the potential?

In general, as Ray said, the more time in the field the better your chances are anywhere. Time of the year and the concession have a lot to do with it, as some concessions in Zambia are not great for buffalo certain times of the year. The best are those "prime" areas that share large boarders with the national parks and have permanent water (like the Luangwa River), but make sure you would be hunting in the primary area within the concession (not a "depleted" area). Trophy hunting was closed for a few years prior to last season in Zambia, and although there are a lot of buffalo there are only so many 45" bulls anywhere. The PH I booked with said that most of his hunters last year were satisfied in taking the first decent bull they came across. I plan to hunt 14 or more days and look for a big old bugger, but I've shot three sub 40" bulls already. Which is another point, in Tanzania, one can shoot two buffalo on a "short hunt" if so inclined, which makes the cost-per-buffalo lower than in Zambia.

Feel free to email me if you want specific's. Bill

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

DONATO, I have been asking the same question and have been looking at different areas within Tanzania which would be better, Masiland or maybe the Selous area?,I guess I will keep on reading posts here and get an idea on where the best place would be, MR. Atkinson I guess from your post a 10 day is much better than 7 days no matter where one goes,also what do you think of Delta in Botswana?,Thanks,Kev

Posts: 1002 | Location: ALASKA, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Donato

From our own personal experience ( ranch hunt ) we have over the past 4/5 season had clients take buff bulls in the range 36 - 43. The average would proberbly be 37-38-39.

I dont know about the Zambia concession or GMA areas as they are very diverse. I would not be so brave as to say the quality is better than Tanzania. Of cource we can all put our own interpretation on quality !!! I dont know much about the Zim's animals.

On our Dendro Park Ranch [ knp region ] the buff tend to have a good average horn spread and very nice firm well formed bosses.

Personally speaking to me quality is a nice old bull with hard good bosses and nice curls, the actual spead would be irrelavent as long as the other features are there as described.

At the end of the day any buff is a good trophy as it is your personal experience, that is more important than the size or dimentions, but all to his own of cource, who am I to dictate what is best.

Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Peter, too much emphasis is put on spread, I have seen 50 inch buff that looked like a long horn steer. I have seen big buff with soft bosses and hunters proud of them?? some actually needed a haircut they were so soft...I have shot such bulls, but never got excited about them...

I look for flat shiny hard smooth bosses, lots of drop below the jawline, sweep back can be nice, I like a scabby old bull with feathered ears, shrunk up balls and no tail, a warrior that has survived lions, fights for the ladies and hunters guns...That is my trophy of choice..He must have character. I even like those old old broken horned bulls...

Short of the above I am liable to shoot anything, especially if I have more than several permits..some of those 34 to 38 inch bulls need to be shot off as they will never get any better and they contaminate the gene pool.. but a 38 inch bull with good hard bosses is a trophy bull in my opinnion...So is a 27" Mule deer..

Posts: 41834 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
As Ray & Peter say, there's a lot more to a Buff trophy than just width, you need to look for good bosses and also drop and curl.....also important is the quality of the hunt. As Craig Boddinton says, 'A Buffalo hunt should never be judged in mere inches'

I'd say Tanzania generally has better Buff than elsewhere and they also allow the hunter to take 2 on a 7 day licence. Most other countries only allow 1.....of the various areas, the Selous holds the highest populations by far, but Masailand tends to have bigger & better trophies, but far fewer of them. If it's your first Buff hunt then I would suggest the Selous is your best option by far. BUT when you make your booking make sure you make it with s reputable company, insist on a written contract and most importantly of all make sure that you'll actually be hunting in the Selous proper and not in any of the buffer zones.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Donato,
If you want my advice, on your first buffalo hunt, "size" should not matter. Base your decision on where to hunt on hunting an area that has a large population of buffalo and is under a certain degree of protection. As Shakari says, make sure it is in "the reserve" (Selous or whichever), not communal lands with lot's of villages, etc. Trust me, on your first buffalo hunt a 34' bull (with features as described by Ray) will look plenty big to you!

To press the point made by Ray and others on size, pictures speak a 1000 words. Below are photos of a 50" and a 45". Both are old, have worn down horns and tattered ears. Of the two which do you think is a better trophy

45"

50"

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Adam Clements
posted Hide Post
Both fantastic buffalo and if it was in Tanzania, both would be shot , but if I had the choice of just one, would still shoot the 50" over the 45". They both have about the same drop, the 45" has better boss, but the 50" has a better sweep on the horns and has the real classic buffalo head. Of course this would be anyones dream to have the choice of these two beauties.

Posts: 473 | Location: San Antonio, Texas & Tanzania | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
This is one from the NorthStar catalog I admire greatly:

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with all Shakari said. You have to be careful with your contract. Familiarize yourself, as best you can, with the relevant game laws so that you don't get "HIT". Triple check reference. They may be your only indication of the quality of outfitter you are dealing with.

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Adam,
after reviewing the photos some more I think I agree with you on the 50"! I should find a better photo to illustrate the point...

You mention though that "if it was in Tanzania both would be shot". Which country wouldn't you shoot both or are you referring to the fact that Tanzania will allow you more than one on 1 permit while some other countries won't?

Nickudu, that is a great buff too. Heavy, heavy....

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Adam Clements
posted Hide Post
Bwanamich,

I was just referring to the fact that in Tanzania you have more than one on license and most other countries only allow one.

Posts: 473 | Location: San Antonio, Texas & Tanzania | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote