Find
Notify
Tools

Article on 52 inch buffalo in AHG
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted
With respect to a certain over 50 inch buffalo discussed in a thread in the 'Outfitters-Offered & Discounted Hunts' forum, there is a one page story by a Mr. A. Murray about a 52+ inch buffalo in the Spring 2010 issue of African Hunting Gazette, page 67.

See:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...2100588/m/1221069401

The buffalo certainly looks identical to the one in the photos in that thread. The thread's first post was one advertising an over 50 inch bull for $100,000. The photo of Mr. Murray and his bull on that thread has the identical tree in the background as does the photo in AHG. My conclusion is without question it is the same bull that was advertised.

The brief story in AHG says the 'old dagga boy' was taken in Zimbabwe, a rifle shot distance from the Kruger boundary. Per the story, the buffalo was with a group of four or five other 'dagga boys', and was shot at dawn as the bulls watered. Apparently, there were 'rumours' of dagga boys with wide horns in the area.

The story certainly makes the hunt sound kinda sorta fair chase.

But even absent some evidence the bull was raised or at least spent time in an enclosure, there is still a situation where the bull was not spot and stalked, or tracked, but ambushed at a water hole at first light.

Of course one can only speculate as to how the bull got to SE Zimbabwe, or how a particular bull priced at $100,000, was at the same time taken in a purportedly fair chase manner . Of course, this is all assuming this bull is in fact the same animal. I guess there is really no way of knowing.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I don't know any parties involved but reading between the lines it sounded to me like the story was putting lipstick on a pig. You can make anything sound like a fair chase hunt if you don't mention the boma you passed on the way to camp or the fence that was just over the rise. Again, I don't know any of the parties involved and if I hadn't seen the threads here on AR, I might be thinking that Angus was one heck of a bwana but it appears he just likes to buy his way to notoriety. I don't have a problem with somone doing that but feel it demeans our sport and it aint my cup of tea.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote