Find
Notify
Tools

How small is an Anopheles mosquito?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted
Prevention is better than cure. That is why we take malaria prophylactics. Better and safer to not get bitten/stung by a mosquito. So you have to keep them away from you by insect repellent and/or netting. My question is now, how small a hole in netting needs to be to RELIABLY prevent a Anopheles mosquito to pass through the hole?

I ask because I want to provide my hunting clients with suitable mosquito netting. Now, the bigger the hole is the better ventilation will pass through, and that can be quite a factor if you are in a hot and humid [mosquito] hunting area! It is easy to play safe and go for normal very small mesh netting. But then you suffer heat and poor ventilation! So what I really want to know is: How big the hole in a netting material can be, and still prevent mosquitoes from passing through it?

In South Africa a certain type of bush hat with a ventilated or netting sides have become quite popular. By my measurement the “holes†are about 4 mm by 4 mm and the hat is definitely much cooler to wear than a non-ventilated one of the same type. How likely will bald hunter who is wearing such a ventilated hat in a mosquito area get bitten on the head by a mosquito?

Any suggestions on size of hole through which a malaria mosquito can’t get through? While we are asking about mesh hole size: How about hole-size for stopping mopane-fly, or, more correctly, the mopani-bee (Trigona sp.)

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jagter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anopheles mosquito

Few actions that could possibly help to protect oneself or your clients:
quote:
Personal Protection Against Mosquitoes

Protective measures adopted by individuals and families not only help in protecting the individuals against mosquito bites and hence malaria, but also help in reducing the mosquito population by denying the blood meal essential for nourishment of the mosquito eggs in the female anopheles mosquito.

Preventing the mosquitoes from entering the house: The female anopheles mosquitoes enter the house in the evenings, between 5PM and 10PM, and also early in the morning, between 5AM and 7AM. To prevent their entry, all the doors and windows should be kept closed during these hours. And it is also important to close the doors of the toilets, which always open to the exterior through windows or vents. Well-constructed houses with window screens are effective for preventing biting by mosquitoes that bite indoors and likely contributed much to the elimination of malaria from the United States and Europe.

Preventing the mosquitoes from hiding: Anopheles mosquitoes tend to hide in the dark corners and amidst the clothes and other linen left hanging in the rooms. During the night, they come out of their hiding to seek human blood. This should be avoided and all the clothes and linen should be preferably kept inside wardrobes and cupboards.

Protection from mosquito bites: Personal protection against mosquito bites is a simple yet very effective measure in malaria control. All patients with malaria should be educated about this. The female anopheles mosquito bites human beings from around 6 PM to 7AM with peak activity after midnight. Therefore, one should take protective measures throughout this period.

i. Protective Clothing: Protective clothing helps to keep the mosquitoes away when the individual is relaxing either indoors or outdoors, particularly between 6PM and 10 PM. The thickness of the material should be such that mosquitoes cannot gain access to the skin. The clothing should be such that no skin is left exposed (unless the clothing is treated with a repellent). Wearing light-colored clothes, long pants and long-sleeved shirts that cover as much area of his body as possible would be helpful. Treating the clothing with permethrin or etofenprox provides extra protection by repelling the mosquitoes and the repellant also stays active for a longer time when it is applied on the clothing than on the skin. Label instructions should be followed to avoid damage to certain fabrics.

ii. Mosquito Repellents.

Size of female:
quote:
The females of most mosquito species suck blood from other animals. Size varies but is rarely greater than 15 mm (0.6 inch). Mosquitoes weigh only about 2 to 2.5 mg (0.03 to 0.04 grain). They can fly at about 1.5 to 2.5 km/h (0.9 to 1.6 mph) and most species are nocturnal.

Hope this will help you!

OWLS
My Africa, with which I will never be able to live without!

Posts: 654 | Location: RSA, Mpumalanga, Witbank. | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here in the state, we suggest a 16 mesh screen will provide protection. That is a 1.75 mm hole, if my conversion is correct. I am a bug guy, not a math guy. This is a standard insect screen. Doors need to be screened as well. If you are using tents, it's pretty tough to keep them out. In structures, springs on doors, screens that stay in place when windows are open, and similar 'always in place' fixtures work. Have someone check sleeping quarters in corners etc before retiring. In bad areas, treated bed nets really are the best tool for s afesleeping.
Mosquitoes vary a lot in size based on species, condition, and environment.
Mosquitoes are attracted by CO2 and other breath components, profile, and pheramones. Since you can't stop breathing, repellants really help. Treat hats and clothing, whether they are ventilated or not, using repellants containing approximately 30 percent or more DEET.

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One more thing, only the females bite! The males drink nector, mate and die. Seems like a good model.

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anopheles genus also tend not to make that typical irritating buzzing sound (or quite as loudly).
So if you don't hear the buzz, doesn't mean the mozzies were absent.

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote