THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What do u least like about your African hunt?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do u least like about your African hunt?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is it the tse tse flies? the strange meals? the marathon marches? the heat?

For me, it's waking up to 'Suh, Suh, your breakfast is ready'.

There is nothing like sleeping in Africa's cool nights after a long hot tracking/taking of a beautiful animal followed up with a big dinner/feast with your hosts and then to be awoken to: 'Suh, Suh..."

Posts: 1484 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
there was not a thing I would have changed about my hunt in Uganda.

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bragger! Big Grin

Posts: 1484 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Going home

One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
Travel to and from.........

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Paying for it.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
The only thing I didn't like was the fact with every one I had less and less money for the next one till I ran out. That's ok though cause the money and my health more or less ran out at the same time,so I came out even. I didn't even mind the long trip and rather enjoyed it.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the travel. I am against TSA, baggage handlers and airports. The whole mess is worse than it has a right to be. If a Jr. High football coach had designed this mess, he'd be fired after the first flight.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aww hell, I loved every minute of it beginning to end. The flight from ATL to JHB is probably the only downer. In 2 trips, my son and I have had zero issues with TSA/customs or any of the other beaureacratic BS. What I least like is that I may never get to go again.

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
What I like least is #1 landing in a fully loaded Boeing 727 on a runway that is barely long enough for a Piper Cub, in Mfuwe, Zambia, and not being able to see the end of the pavement because it is under the belly of the plane when it turns around at the end. Eeker

#2 is the damn tsetse flies thumbdown

Everything else is great! tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my case the only thing I really didn't like was the guy who went with me. We used to work together, he was the guy who got me to sart seriously looking at going to Africa, and had been over several times. Once we got there he basicly became a first class dick to everyone. He even demanded his entire hunting fee back from the PH because he decided not to pull the trigger on anything.

I'm sure I'll go again, but then it will be with better company or alone. In either case it will improve.

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
"Dead man's walk" after last breakfast on the last day after your hunt - from lounge to the vehicle that will fetch you to airport...man that sucks!

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jet lag. I hate waking up at 2 am and not being able to fall asleep.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I always hate knowing it is over and time to head home!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I hate the feeling you get as the Safari draws to an end. I hate the settling up at the end and passing out the tips, not because of the $'s but because it drives home the business aspect of the deal when you've been focused on LIVING for the past couple of weeks.

My emphasis on LIVING for me is that any time away from Africa is spent waiting to get back. When I'm there, I live what I am. When away, I live what I do.

Yep, the end of the trip is the part I dislike.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
The plane ride back and forth.

Mike

Posts: 21698 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Most annoying for me have come after the hunt in the padding of the costs in dealing with the trophies. One PH I hunted with (once!) charged a trophy fee per critter, then an additional 50 dollar fee per trophy, then $150 delivery fee for getting said trophies to the taxidermist after the hunt. Had a South African taxidermist who wasn't cheap to begin with charge $300 for a crate to pack my dried capes and skulls in. I'm certain he didn't have $50 dollars in materials and labor costs into it.

Then customs brokers charging fees for stuff that never happened. Like 'warehouse' tranfer' on a shipment that never left the air cargo facility. I found that Coppersmith had done that to me twice and eventually got a refund.

Posts: 3277 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of OldHandgunHunter
posted Hide Post
I always love every minute from the time I get off the plane until I get back on it -- but I do hate that long plane ride!

I've logged a few million miles of air travel in my life, but I can't say I've ever enjoyed many of the flights -- it's just a necessary evil you have to endure to get to the best hunting on the planet.

When you get bored with life, start hunting dangerous game with a handgun.

Posts: 495 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
Like many others what I like least is the travel to and from. Although I think the travel back is worse. The excitement of the upcoming hunt makes the travel to Africa a little bit more bearable.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kaizer
posted Hide Post
I don't mind the travel. The flight from ATL to JNB is exciting for me (even after five trips over there), and I usually don't get much sleep, which actually helps me adjust to the time change pretty quickly.

I don't like the costs. But then, I'm cheap.

I don't like packing for the trip, mostly because I always leave it until the last minute. Someday I might learn to start sooner.

I also don't like the anxiety of going through customs knowing that I have some mopane leaves or a baobab seed pod in my suitcase.

But what I like the least is that the days and weeks in Africa seem to go faster than the days here. Must have something to do with the southern hemisphere, just like the water flushing counter-clockwise in the southern hemisphere.

Dale

Posts: 92 | Location: Near Illinois-Wisconsin Border | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
quote:
Going home

Mike

+1

and knowing it will be years before I can get back.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
That it becomes all about the money.

Posts: 4882 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
having to go home Big Grin

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Walking in sand.........

subsailor74
RADM, USN(ret)

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"What do u like least about your African hunt?"

At first I thought this was a trick question. Sort of like, "What do you like least about looking at a beautiful woman?" Not much to not like, really!

But after doing some thinking, I guess it's the feeling I get the day I have to leave to come home, packing my bag and rifle for the trip home, saying my goodbyes, the drive to the airport - man, that sucks!

Glen

Posts: 282 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On the way down I don't mind the travel but worry that my rifles won't make it to camp same time as me. And of course...the plane flight home is no good for anyone!!

Posts: 317 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
The thing I like least is that it has not happened yet.

But 2013 is the plan and I like that very much.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 820 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While there: Instant coffee and the traveler's shits. Big Grin

Afterwards: the whole rip off that is getting your trophies back. I am getting to the point anymore where I almost would rather just leave the trophies there than deal with it any longer. Makes you feel like a chunk of meat with sharks all around and they ALL want a chunk of your ass.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Almost everyone in camp got the shits really bad, we think it was from bad water from flooding this year. Mine only lasted a couple days but it made for many stops during the day and long walks longer. Didn't ruin the hunt in anyway, just rolled with it and laughed it off.

One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
Coming home!!!!!!!

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 894 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana1:
Travel to and from.........

+1

Posts: 277 | Location: Murphy, TX | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
The end of any safari. That's worse than the flight back home.

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
The decline of East Africa that becomes more pronounced every year.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
THE AIRPORT BEAURCRATS, TSA ETC. yes I am yelling!!!!!

The first trip was great as it was prior to 9/11.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing... but I treat everything as an adventure... the plane rides, arguing with airport cretins, leaving - everything!! tu2

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
The last day. Frowner

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The flight over is rough,, but I am always so buzzed from the excitement I just consider it part of the adventure,,, the trip home is the worst because it signals the end of a dream, and the reality of having to hit the grind again so I can make a return trip and the waits between trips is almost as bad as the flight home...

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Getting my shoes, knife and life savers(candy) stolen out of my checked bag at Joberg airport.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike70560:
Going home

Ditto - Packing all my things knowing that it's going to be a long time before I get to come back is the saddest thing in the world to me. At 64, now the question becomes "if" and not "when". Frowner

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by almostacowboy:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike70560:
Going home

Ditto - Packing all my things knowing that it's going to be a long time before I get to come back is the saddest thing in the world to me. At 64, now the question becomes "if" and not "when". Frowner

oh Dave - you havent changed much, still moaning.... man that dry Limpopo river is calling your name.... lol

there is a new bigger and uglier tempered buff that has taken up Dolphins spot. same tactics, Dolphin must of left him his handbook on how to survive.

Posts: 605 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote