THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    .416 Weatherby -- OK for Plains game?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.416 Weatherby -- OK for Plains game?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grafton:
To say you are under-gunned with a 30 06 for the animals you listed is laughable. If you use a premium 180g. bullet and you are very familiar with your rifle you would do just fine.

Why exactly would your PH not allow a 30 06 for the plains game that you listed? That sounds very odd.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

What is laughable is the 30.06's energy at 300-400 yards. PH requires a minimum of 300 Win Mag -- which has has nearly twice the energy at 300 yards (roughly 2350 vs. 1300).

Furthermore, I simply asked for opinions regarding the .416 -- Now everybody seems to assume that is what I am taking.

I'm sorry if it offends you that I dislike the 30.06 -- Never have liked them and don't understand why they have remained so popular. I have always looked at it as a good gun for someone who cannot handle the recoil of a true .30 cal+ magnum.

Actually, I am taking my .340 Wby -- my brother is taking one as well -- that way, if one of our bags is late or lost, we will still have ammo.

Posts: 122 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 20 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jvw375:
Why the hell would you want to kill plains game with a .416 Weatherby? Never heard of the 7x57 or .30-06, have you?

Why the hell would you take either of those under-powered calibers? And save the "30-06 has killed more game blah, blah, blah" -- a 22 long rifle has probably killed more than all combined and I don't think you would take it.

First of all, my PH will not allow either of those (and I don't blame him)

Second, I'm not going to your neck of the woods where I can just corner them in the high fence and shoot at less than 50 yards.

This ALL sounds laughable. If you like a .416WBY, great, BUT muzzlebreaks suck for PH's and tackers, it sounds really odd that a PH would prohibit the use of a .30-06 and I am sure you will see that your .340 was more than enough when you are in situ...

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree, it has gotten rediculous. The Ol'timers get all fired up when you talk bad about Grandpappy's favorite caliber - 30.06

It all comes down to this: I'm spending a lot of money to hunt these animals. I want to be confident in my ability to drop any of these animals in their tracks at 300+ yards.

Also, my PH does not care about muzzle brakes --actually, all of his references who sent me pictures were using rifles with muzzle brakes.

And if it makes any of you 30.06 lovers feel any better, I think it would make a fine baboon gun! rotflmo

Posts: 122 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 20 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Who is you PH and where will you be hunting?

Posts: 158 | Location: Bloemfontein, South Africa | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted with a lot of hunters using muzzle brakes and if hunting buffalo I would rather deal with a little noise than a wounded bull in the high grass..They help some folks shoot really good when otherwise they would bend the damn trigger guard..

It is your safari, yours alone, do what you please and if your Ph won't allow a muzzle brake or the use of a .416 WBY or 20 MM in his camp then book with another PH is my advise...

I have never met a PH that was such an idiot that he could turn down business over a muzzle brake, use ear plugs for goodness sake, anyway he won't be in business long.

I think this so called not allowed ear plugs PH is a figment of the internet imagination! rotflmo most of them I know, and they are many, are trying to feed a family and not in the habit of turning away hunters over anything as trivial as this..

Will said it, sometimes he thinks some of us live on a different planet. shocker

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42091 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
The issue of loud noise deserves a separate discussion, except to say that as one with sensitive ears, because I have looked after them, noise is a big thing to me.
If you enjoy your big Weatherby and shoot it well, by all means bring it along. You are, though, a better rifleman than me! When I see a client get off the plane with a Weatherby I invariably groan!

Posts: 785 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Karoo:
The issue of loud noise deserves a separate discussion, except to say that as one with sensitive ears, because I have looked after them, noise is a big thing to me.
If you enjoy your big Weatherby and shoot it well, by all means bring it along. You are, though, a better rifleman than me! When I see a client get off the plane with a Weatherby I invariably groan!

I've never been one to shy away from recoil. Got my first .44 mag pistol when I was 9 years old and put about 150 rounds through it in the first week. Started shooting my dad's 300 Wby at age 10 (could only shoot it off a bench, I wasn't able to hold the gun steady due to the weight)--got a .375 H&H when I was about 13 or 14--shooting a .460 Wby at age 15.

All this said, I still don't see any reason to get beat on any worse than you have to. If the PH didn't allow muzzle brakes, I wouldn't take one. If he doesn't care and the rifle I want to take has one, I'm taking it.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigBoreMan:
I have been going back and forth on what rifle to take. I had decided on a 340 wby but I have found an amazing deal on a like new 416 wby. I researched the ballistics and have found the 416 to perform very well with new Barnes 300gr TSX -- very accurate to 300 yards. Whould you take the super cheap 416?

If you don't mind the recoil, why not?

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19354 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm in the no brake crowd. I would rather take the recoil hit than the blast. And those around you will appreciate it!

As far as the 416 Wby for plains game go for it if you can shoot it well. I use a 338 Lapua for deer and elk and love my RSM Lott for ground squirrels! I shoot what I want and am comfortable in my choices because I can and want to.! Big Grin

John

There are those that do, those that dream, and those that only read about it and then post their "expertise" on AR!

Posts: 831 | Location: Mount Vernon, WA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I have hunted with a lot of hunters using muzzle brakes and if hunting buffalo I would rather deal with a little noise than a wounded bull in the high grass..They help some folks shoot really good when otherwise they would bend the damn trigger guard..

It is your safari, yours alone, do what you please and if your Ph won't allow a muzzle brake or the use of a .416 WBY or 20 MM in his camp then book with another PH is my advise...

I have never met a PH that was such an idiot that he could turn down business over a muzzle brake, use ear plugs for goodness sake, anyway he won't be in business long.

I think this so called not allowed ear plugs PH is a figment of the internet imagination! rotflmo most of them I know, and they are many, are trying to feed a family and not in the habit of turning away hunters over anything as trivial as this..

Will said it, sometimes he thinks some of us live on a different planet. shocker

thumb

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigBoreMan:
quote:
Originally posted by Karoo:

I've never been one to shy away from recoil. Got my first .44 mag pistol when I was 9 years old and put about 150 rounds through it in the first week. Started shooting my dad's 300 Wby at age 10 (could only shoot it off a bench, I wasn't able to hold the gun steady due to the weight)--got a .375 H&H when I was about 13 or 14--shooting a .460 Wby at age 15.

All this said, I still don't see any reason to get beat on any worse than you have to. If the PH didn't allow muzzle brakes, I wouldn't take one. If he doesn't care and the rifle I want to take has one, I'm taking it.
statements like this have me wondering about the veracity of this poster. and we are still waiting to hear where and with whom you are hunting. from earlier posts, it obviously isn't a high fence game ranch and to spend the kind of money that a plains game hunt on a gov't concession costs without adding dangerous game to the bag seems a little odd. oh well, to each his own.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13350 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
with no reply to the oft repeated question of with whom and where are you hunting( and what PH requires a minimum 300 mag for plains game), my male bovine excrement meter is pegged in the red zone. bsflag

One of Us
posted Hide Post
jdollar,

Hunting in Namibia with The Detail Company.

I was just looking for opinions of guys who have been there and care to share their experience--your approval is of NO concern.

Furthermore, I'm sure your bovine meter was set off by your old lady walking into the room--raise the tonnage a bit and it should take care of the problem.

However, I do appreciate you flying your "B"utt "S"niffer flag with pride--you should be proud of what you are.

If you have no useful information, don't bother to post.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you to everyone who actually posted honest, useful information.

Why it led to "muzzle brake" issues and "both guns are to big" I don't know.

The concern over the "minimum caliber" is further pointless as I am taking something larger--340 Wby (no muzzle brake, just in case you were wondering)

I also don't mind little jabs about "overkill" etc., but I will jab back -- all in good fun!

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
the Detail Co. is a booking agency. still would like to know what PH requires a 300 mag for plains game

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The information was provided by The Detail Company--and I would assume it is based on animals we are hunting--I'm not saying that he requires one for Dik Dik or Klipspringer.

The PH is Paul Meyer--I haven't asked him personally about the minimum because it is not an issue for me--but if it is causing you to lose sleep, go for it.

Actually, I haven't spoken to anybody--my brother has done all the work--I don't think he would have any reason to provide false information--maybe it's a plot to ruin my good name on AR? bewildered

Anything else you need to further your investigation? If not, please just go back to Myspace where your "drama" is more appreciated. moon

One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted Hide Post
As others have said, there is no such thing as "overkill". Dead is the end of the continuum. There is no state beyond dead, at least in this world. Any calibre that gets you there is a a suitable calibre, and there are a lot of them, including both the 340 Wby and the 416 Wby.

Calibre choice is an emotional decision as well as a logical one. If you have a jones for the 416 Wby, then by all means take it. You will pay a premium in recoil and noise, but I suspect you already know that. You certainly won't need to worry about whether your calibre choice is up to the job.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's gonna piss you off!
www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly ESS:
As others have said, there is no such thing as "overkill". Dead is the end of the continuum. There is no state beyond dead, at least in this world. Any calibre that gets you there is a a suitable calibre, and there are a lot of them, including both the 340 Wby and the 416 Wby.

Calibre choice is an emotional decision as well as a logical one. If you have a jones for the 416 Wby, then by all means take it. You will pay a premium in recoil and noise, but I suspect you already know that. You certainly won't need to worry about whether your calibre choice is up to the job.

That's a very good point -- there are no degrees of "dead". I think I am going to take my .340 though -- Lighter and will definitely get the job done.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once you get your first set of hearing aids, (I'm on my third), you'll regret unprotected shooting of muzzle-braked rifles. Don't worry too much, though. Lip reading is an acquired ability.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
I think people make way to big of a deal out of muzzle brakes. Use they have more blast and I am not a big fan of them. But they are not the end of the world. If your standing beside someone shooting them plug your ears its not the end of the world.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jetdrvr:
Once you get your first set of hearing aids, (I'm on my third), you'll regret unprotected shooting of muzzle-braked rifles. Don't worry too much, though. Lip reading is an acquired ability.

Not taking a muzzle braked rifle - but you can invest about $500 in a set of electronic plugs that reduce the noise by 30db - well worth the investment to save your hearing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
.416 Weatherby for plains game?

Better read this first:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/retinal-detachment/DS00254/DSECTION=causes

Posts: 431 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 29 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
Big bore,

I did not comment earlier as I did not want to "rain on your parade."

All gun nuts are crazy except you and me, and sometimes I wonder about you!

I shot PG, buffalo and elephant w a 450 Dakota in 2005 and I will not do so again.

I could shoot clover leafs at 100 and really useful groups at 200 and 250 w scope and with peep.

Problem is I developed tennis elbow shooting it sitting and RT elbow braced on RT knee.

Still fighting that elbow today three years later.

Shots you can make w a 300 mag are not same as a high energy ctg like 416 or 450. (I was shooting a 450 at 2550 fps).

I can shoot my 450 really well, but it takes a toll from real world positions if you are using it as a 200 yd kudu or impala rifle.

Also, the forward allowance (lead) is so different from ctgs we normally shoot).

I am a newbie at this but after shooting elphant at 9 paces, I would recommend no scope for elephant, peep or V only.

Up to 6 X for buff, depending on your style.

And 9 X for PG and baboons.

One rifle cannot do it all.

If you eliminate elephant thanour host Saeeds high velocity 375 is an option!

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote