THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    .416 Weatherby -- OK for Plains game?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.416 Weatherby -- OK for Plains game?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been going back and forth on what rifle to take. I had decided on a 340 wby but I have found an amazing deal on a like new 416 wby. I researched the ballistics and have found the 416 to perform very well with new Barnes 300gr TSX -- very accurate to 300 yards. Whould you take the super cheap 416?

Posts: 122 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 20 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
I don't think there's a plains game animal alive that won't succumb to a well placed 300 gr TSX from a 416 Weatherby!

Posts: 810 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have the 340, I would take it, and save ALL extra money for trophy fees , tips, more days. The 340 will clobber any plains game including eland. However if dangerous game is on the place , the 416 gets the nod. Enjoy the hunt.

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
It's a superb cartridge...IF you can handle the FIERCE recoil. a 400gr pill at 2700 fps is arguably a case for the best all around caliber for Africa if you are also hunting large dangerous game. But for PG? it's a waste. The 340 is also on the big side, but a lot more practical and BTW, my favorite for PG if eland's on the menu. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've shot a couple of head of plains game with a .416 Rigby loaded with 350 gr Barnes Xs at 2700 fps. Sure works! Also worked authoritatively on Bison and Cape Buffalo.

The 300 driven by a .416 Weatherby is just gonna have a flatter trajectory.

Do you "need" it ... no. Will it work? You Betcha!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the .416 Weatherby is a whole bunch of a good thing. Yes, I would take the the four one six hands down.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I'd take the 340, My 378 is on the verge of too much fun. Will the 416 wby handle the chore? NO DOUBT! I say why? The 340 is a ass stomper in it own right. Load the 340 with 250's of your liking and go hunting! Good luck!

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Animals to be hunted: Eland, Kudu, Gemsbok, Blue & Black Wildebeest, Zebra, and Impala.

Posts: 122 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 20 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BBM,
IMO, if the thing has a muzzle break the PH will hate you, if it doesn't you will hate it.
Since DG not on the menu why piss off anybody?
If you want the rifle by all means buy it, I just think it will Either make the PH deaf or you flinch. why do either for plains game.
Just go whack n Stack.
Steve

Posts: 376 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 21 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BBM,
I've only been a couple of times, so I know I don't know it all, but I shot everything on your list except eland with a 30-06 and had no trouble at all. Go with what you like and don't beat yourself up. All the PH's I talked to over there used either an '06 or a .270 for their plains game rifle.

Posts: 247 | Location: Round Rock, Texas | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As luck would have it, this AR, Saeed is a hunter and attracts hunters and PH's. I'm sure a few have read this and will agree, "Unless you are SAFARIKID the 416 Weatherby is overkill!"

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe a .416 has a whole lot
of reserve power for the animals
you list. A WHOLE LOT!!!

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigBoreMan:
Animals to be hunted: Eland, Kudu, Gemsbok, Blue & Black Wildebeest, Zebra, and Impala.

Too much gun. I've hunted all those animals, with the exception of eland, with a 7mm Remmy and had one shot kills on every one, using 160 grain A Frames. I'd take the .340, and that is actually more than you'll need, except for eland.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
\
Personally I have always favoured the bigger the better, with the absolute exclusion of Roy Weatherby.

Yes, myself as PH hate a muzzlebrake, and yes most people coming out with a Weatherby believes speed kills ?

Bring the 340 without a muzzlebrake and load 275 grain Swift A Frames , and everything else will fall into place - also known as your trophy room

Walter Enslin
kwansafaris@mweb.co.za
DRSS- 500NE Sabatti
450 Rigby
416 Rigby

Posts: 512 | Location: South Africa, Mozambique, USA,  | Registered: 09 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'd take one of my mousey old 06's, don't like weatherbys for anything but boat paddles

Posts: 13459 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:

Your .340 is ideal for these. If you want an excuse for a new gun then I will tell you that you need it. Cool

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have been going back and forth on what rifle to take. I had decided on a 340 wby but I have found an amazing deal on a like new 416 wby. I researched the ballistics and have found the 416 to perform very well with new Barnes 300gr TSX -- very accurate to 300 yards. Whould you take the super cheap 416?

IT SHOULD KILL 'EM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That said, I'll admit to using a .416 Rigby on an elk once and a zebra.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input -- I don't agree with the muzzle brake issue -- For what I'm spending the PH can afford a set of earplugs or use 2 of the 10 free ones attached to his hands.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well if the deal is so amazing you can't pass it up (odd to hear the words "cheap" and "weatherby" in the same sentence) Then I say get the rifle, but leave it at home. When you get back from your PG hunt, you can start saving for your next safari for some DG, and you're 416 will shine!

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Well, I plan on taking a 340 for nearly an identical bag in May, so you could take that rifle and be just fine. On the other hand, if you want to take the 416, go ahead and take it. Provided you can shoot it accurately and deal with the extra weight of the rifle and ammo, it makes no real difference.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There isn't any plains game you can't kill with one shot with a 180 grain premium .30 caliber bullet. Nothing is bigger than an elk except Eland and they aren't particularly tenacious of life.

A 30-06 is fine. I happen to use a .300 Weatherby Magnum without real heavy handloads because it weighs only 6 3/4 pounds (plus scope and sling). Remember, you may have to walk a lot. Weight and practical shooting (read: flinching) considered, I suspect it's a lot better than any 340 Weatherby.

If you insist on an eargesplittenloudenboomer, ask the PH in advance about the muzzle brake. Personally, if I were a PH, I'd much rather have a client without one, and would doubt the ability of anyone sho showed up for plains game with a .416 Weatherby.

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.

One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nothing is bigger than an elk except Eland and they aren't particularly tenacious of life.

Compared to what? I actually beg to differ as I have come across a number of eland that were very tenacious indeed...
No problem with erring on the side of caution and using a .416 on eland, though I do think that it's a bit of an overkill for a plainsgame hunt. I agree with milehigh - get the .416 if it's such a good deal, but save it for a dangerous game hunt and use the .340 for the plainsgame.
An observation: I have seen hunters cause more damage to themselves than their intended target with a heavy calibre Weatherby. Different strokes for different blokes I guess!

Dave

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BBM,
Again, IMO I, repeat, I want my professional looking at the animal to try and see the bullet impact rather than his finger in his ears or flinching. It makes quality of shot and follow up much easier, the WORST feeling in the world is following around an animal not knowing how well the damn thing is hit. If I cant handle the rifle W/O muzzle break I shouldn't own it.

Posts: 376 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 21 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BigBoreMan, take this from a 40'something PH - your relationship with your PH is likely to have a bigger effect on the outcome of your safari, than up scaling the caliber of your gun.

A PH with ear plugs in his ears will be deprived of one of his most basic senses. With his fingers in his ears, he will not be able to glass the animal when you shoot, with his head ringing from your muzzle break after every shot, your hunting success will not be the first thing coming to his mind every time you lift your rifle.

Maybe you should consider more than just caliber.

Posts: 158 | Location: Bloemfontein, South Africa | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth, I agree with the 2 preceding posts. Never liked the idea of having to "tame" a rifle in order to shoot it. By the way, I've been reading in the gun mags that people are now considering the '06 a hard-kicker. When did that happen?

Posts: 247 | Location: Round Rock, Texas | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Half the folks that hunt with us in Tanzania have muzzle brakes and it has not been a problem for us..We stand behind the shooter and muzzle brake or not that can do ear damage with or without the brake..I put my fingers in my ears whent the time comes..Too much is made of this IMO..Most of the old time PHs are half deaf from shooting big bores anyway..

The 416 Wby is a good plainsgame caliber, but I personally would use 350 or 400 gr. bullets..I have hunted with the .416 and 404 all over Africa as I spend so much time over there that I only take one rifle and it has to do it all. the heavy bullets wont't tear the game up. I suspect the 300 gr. would be overly destructive.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42091 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450/400 Jeffrey's
posted Hide Post
Muzzle brakes, oh no! The sound pressure level from a .416 with a muzzle brake is just wrong! You can feel the concussion if you are any where in the vicinity. I can't stand being at the range with proper ear protection 8 benches down from the damned things.

Most old timer PH's do have hearing loss. Many from clients cutting loose with a shot before they cover their ears. I did that once to my poor PH. Magna-port no less. Cut that SOB off of my barrel after that.

Ray, you have either a better tolerence to noise or a thicker head than I, 'cuz I can't stand MBs.

If there are no buffalo on your menu, pass on the .416. That mother will rock your socks at every trigger pull. I say that and I have two doubles. one in 450/400 (imagine that) that I can shoot all day and one in .450 #2. The bigger one has some serious recoil, but in an 11 lb. rifle it's manageable for me.

My vote is for the .340 Wby. Shoots like a lazer beam. It's no pussycat itself.

Posts: 142 | Location: Dreaming of Luangwa | Registered: 23 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
If DG were on the menu, then it would certainly make sense. I have taken my 404jeffery as a one rifle for both PG & DG, but for PG only, you don;t even need a 340wby. Any of the calibers used for deer & elk here work great in Africa.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anybody who doesn't mind muzzle breaks is probably already deaf.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am reading this post right now listening to the ringing in both my ears due to a muzzle break, I hate them, and won't hunt next to those that have them but I am not a pro and do not get paid to do it. For the record, my "african" rifle is a 416 rigby and will definitely smoke any plains game and is overkill but if a buffalo is on the list,,, I want the extra horsepower. Like already posted , anything from a 270 or larger shot well will kill any of the animals listed without the punishment. Shoot what makes you happy and go over and get addicted to Africa like most of us. I killed all the animals you listed this August with a bow with no recoil, but my 416 was in camp. The eland was at 35 yards and the arrow made a complete pass through and I made the recovery in less than 40 yards. It isn't as much how big the bullet if it is placed well, it does make a difference when we shoot a little too far back,,low,, high,,, it happens,,, When in doubt,,, use a bigger gun but your 340 will smack any plains game you will see.

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikelravy:
Anybody who doesn't mind muzzle breaks is probably already deaf.

I'm half deaf and I really mind muzzle brakes! I'd like to keep what I have left.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it is a great caliber - perhaps nthe flatest shooting of any big bore out there.

Yes, it may be a little big for most plains game, but I would rather have too much than too little gun - you never know what you are going to run into in a fair chase hunt.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BBM

I'm mostly of the opinion that there is no such thing as overkill but for the purpose you have outlined a 416 Weatherby maybe just that. The 340 with premium bullets will be more than adequate for any shot offered on the animals you have mentioned.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12975 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why the hell would you want to kill plains game with a .416 Weatherby? Never heard of the 7x57 or .30-06, have you?

Posts: 391 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Half the folks that hunt with us in Tanzania have muzzle brakes and it has not been a problem for us..We stand behind the shooter and muzzle brake or not that can do ear damage with or without the brake..I put my fingers in my ears whent the time comes..Too much is made of this IMO..Most of the old time PHs are half deaf from shooting big bores anyway..

The 416 Wby is a good plainsgame caliber, but I personally would use 350 or 400 gr. bullets..I have hunted with the .416 and 404 all over Africa as I spend so much time over there that I only take one rifle and it has to do it all. the heavy bullets wont't tear the game up. I suspect the 300 gr. would be overly destructive.

I'd agree with Ray and go for the 350grain bullets if you buy the 416. If you want to take it along and shoot PG with it, then it's YOUR trip, so take it.

I wear those baffled ear plugs on a string that you can buy from Brownells, all the time here in Oz, shooting 'roos.......it is the number of shots, even with unbraked rifles that will do your head in. Take some of those along and give your PH a couple of sets........

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jvw375:
Why the hell would you want to kill plains game with a .416 Weatherby? Never heard of the 7x57 or .30-06, have you?

Why the hell would you take either of those under-powered calibers? And save the "30-06 has killed more game blah, blah, blah" -- a 22 long rifle has probably killed more than all combined and I don't think you would take it.

First of all, my PH will not allow either of those (and I don't blame him)

Second, I'm not going to your neck of the woods where I can just corner them in the high fence and shoot at less than 50 yards.

one of us
posted Hide Post
With whom, and where will you be hunting BBM?

Posts: 158 | Location: Bloemfontein, South Africa | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BigBore
A large part of hunting and shooting is passion, by the sound of it that 416 has got your blood pumping, so take it and enjoy it. So long as you can shoot straight I dont think it makes much difference either way.
My way of thinking is to shoot the lightest fastest bullet that will get the job done.
My suggestion is the GS Custom 330 Gr HV.
If you have not heard about them before then go and look at this GS Custom HV Information

33 GR HV Specs and application

Good luck
Ian

Posts: 423 | Location: Natal - South Africa | Registered: 23 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
To say you are under-gunned with a 30 06 for the animals you listed is laughable. If you use a premium 180g. bullet and you are very familiar with your rifle you would do just fine.

Why exactly would your PH not allow a 30 06 for the plains game that you listed? That sounds very odd.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Practice shooting that 416 off sticks or you'll come home with a new eye brow. It definitely needs a good front hand grip! In addition to your PH there will be a tracker or two and possibly a game scout for you to deafen as well. Muzzle brakes are a pain on a safari and a lot of the more established PHs don't permit them. I thought a 378 was the worst recoiling rifle I ever shot till I tried the 416. Be very selective what bullet you use. At those velocities a 40 yard shot may take your bullet apart. Too much of a good thing! thumbdown

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote