Find
Notify
Tools

Crocs and slippers.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted
Whilst hunting at the private Takeri reserve the other week the owner/PH Patsy Hahn was relating a very amusing story about some troublesome crocs. Patsy is a petite lady and for the most lives alone in the bush. Wisely she keeps a few oversized dogs for security. The dogs attract crocs.

One early Sunday morning she was woken to the furious barks of her dogs down by the rivers edge and in her haste to protect her animals she threw on her dressing gown and in her fluffy slippers she she tiptoed down to the riverfront and freestanding she brained the croc from what looks to be quite a difficult angle. Another surfaced and she whacked that also.

She then quickly returned to the house to change for her night gown before her staff arrived. She then gave them the unenvious task of retrieving the slain beasts.

This morning I get an email and yesterday she shot one of the man eaters that was troubling the local community. The croc was cut up and the gory remains were collected by the next of kin. If she took some pictures I will post them up her for her.

Faisal and I were hunting these man eaters the other week and whilst we had one big one on bait it proved to be very shy and we could not connect.

Patsy is the most marvellous of hosts and her home is warm, inviting and comfortable. In addition to being a fine PH she is most superb chef. It is worth a visit to Takeri just for the salted fillet of Sable.

Takeri is reknowned for its Sable and if anyone is looking for an exceptional animal then this is the place to hunt. One day we bumped a small herd of bulls and one would have gone 46 inches and she claims to have bigger. I wanted to shoot one for the kitchen but she was having none of my nonsense.

Due to the increased occurrences of man eating the wildlife department has given her a quota of crocs and this make for some very fine hunting indeed. She is also now looking to possibly cull crocs in a wetland area upstream from Takeri and if she can get permission she will be looking for the likes of us to help her out.

Patsy has just joined AR as a new member.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9901 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
This is why we stick around here. Hope she finds us gentlemen and ladies. Death to crocs!

Posts: 4862 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The lady will find a warm welcome here. I'm looking forward to her posts.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
hi all - thanks for allowing me to join AR - looks like some great forums - my internet is incredibly slow but will try get some photos to Andrew this evening of the latest croc - measured just over 12 foot!
hope to be in contact with many of you
cheers
patsy

Professional Hunter
Private Game Reserve in Zambia
www.takerireservezambia.com

Posts: 19 | Location: zambia | Registered: 29 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patsyzambia:
hi all - thanks for allowing me to join AR - looks like some great forums - my internet is incredibly slow but will try get some photos to Andrew this evening of the latest croc - measured just over 12 foot!
cheers
patsy

Welcome Patsy and look forward to seeing the photos of the man eater.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
quote:
cheers
patsy

Welcome, post some photos of your big sables also!

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forum!

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cajun1956
posted Hide Post
Ms. Patsy, welcome to the AR forum. Cheers and keep well!

DSC Life Member
HSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
SCI
RMEF

Posts: 2021 | Location: Republic of Texico | Registered: 20 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome Patsy...

Posts: 1804 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done Patsy,
Was it the same croc that was being so un-cooperative coming to bait?
it looks pretty fat on the trail cam picture we got, i take it he was still full of fishermen!

Posts: 167 | Location: Kuwait | Registered: 14 April 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
hi Faisal
thanks for loading the photo - I will look at the tooth structure and see if it looks the same - not 100% sure but this one was fat!! I must just learn how to upload photos!! find it easier to strip an AK than work out the internet!! I had to sit for hours and hours on him - very very wary - I put the bait up on the Monday afternoon and eventually got him Thursday - going out at 4am and basically sitting all day - like the one on the trail cam he only came in after a heavy rain .
I am in the process of finding out about the crocs in that other area I was talking about and as soon as I have confirmation I will let you know - I also want to go and see the area myself so I know what is up there - cheers

Professional Hunter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome Patsy.

Anyone recommended by Andrew has my respect and admiration.

On my last hunt with him this summer, he in fact did recommend you and your area as a great place for a hunt. It's nice to see a face to connect the dots!

In my book, I think this also speaks highly of Andrew to recommend and help fellow Zambian PHs. Admirable character, sadly, is a difficult quality to find these days.

Posts: 2599 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
cheers
patsy

Great to have you on board here!

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Andrew.

And a very warm welcome Patsy.

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crocs, slippers? I thought you were talking about these kind :-)

Posts: 20139 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surefire7:
Welcome Patsy.

On my last hunt with him this summer, he in fact did recommend you and your area as a great place for a hunt. It's nice to see a face to connect the dots!

In my book, I think this also speaks highly of Andrew to recommend and help fellow Zambian PHs. Admirable character, sadly, is a difficult quality to find these days.

Hi - thanks for the welcome and you have nailed it in your description of Andrew! when I first stated out doing being an appie it was hard breaking into the "old boys club" and being the first women in Zambia did not help much either - Andrew has gone out of his way to help me and has shared his knowledge with me and continues to give advice and help. I am hooping to join him next year on a few more hunts and get experience for my dangerous game upgrade. cheers patsy

Professional Hunter

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by surefire7:
Welcome Patsy.

Hi - thanks for the welcome and you have nailed it in your description of Andrew! when I first stated out doing being an appie it was hard breaking into the "old boys club" and being the first women in Zambia did not help much either - Andrew has gone out of his way to help me and has shared his knowledge with me and continues to give advice and help. I am hooping to join him next year on a few more hunts and get experience for my dangerous game upgrade. cheers patsy

Who's this Andrew guy? Welcome Patsy Big Grin

Cheers
Jim & Joyce

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7610 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
seen a few grammar errors in the above post....written in haste over morning coffee ...about to go out on an anti-poaching patrol with some of my scouts - unfortunately poaching is a reality in Africa and we have to work on it 24/7 to try and keep on top of the situation.

Professional Hunter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most of us don't mind grammar mishaps, just don't use the word "standard" or the word police will come down on you.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by faisal:
Well done Patsy,
Was it the same croc that was being so un-cooperative coming to bait?
it looks pretty fat on the trail cam picture we got, i take it he was still full of fishermen!

Different croc mate.

The young man is Patsy's son.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

posted Hide Post
hi - it very well could be - after you and Faisal had left it took the entire rib cage we had up - broke all the wires - so must have some power there.
I have been chatting with the community and there are reports of at least 5 big crocs - over 12 foot - in the area so am submitting my letter to ZAWA and hope to get another 3 on quota for 2016

Professional Hunter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome Patty.

That is a great story. That sable is quite good too. Wink

Flying home last time I said " Hmmm maybe a croc . . "

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
good to see another woman aboard here. May help tame some of these foul talkers a bit. IF D. would use her name maybe some of them would realize she's a woman!

Many of us guys admire a woman that's capable and willing to get out there and do what needs done. Hope you hang around here and share your hunts. Just don't let one of those big devils take a bite out of you!

Tell us what you used to brain those crocs with.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5958 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forum. I gotta get to Zambia!

Posts: 41860 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Patsy: I can already see that you are going to be a breath of fresh air here on AR! tu2 Welcome! Love your posts already! tu2

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Welcome Patsy. I look forward to hearing more about Takeri and its sable.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Welcome to AR Patsy,
Would you be so kind in telling us about the area you operate? Size, location, Game population and spicies.
Regards,
Adam

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome Patsy. Very nice crocs and what an incredible sable.

Posts: 10127 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi all - again thanks for the warm welcome!
to give a bit of background of myself - I came to Zambia as a child - my parents were tobacco farming in Chipata - so Luangwa valley was my second home - I then spend 8 years on the lower Zambezi - building and running 3 photographic camps and then moved back to Luangwa valley for 12 years - unfortunately got divorced and wanted a change from photographic tourism - so it seemed a very sensible thing to go into the wildlife industry but more on the hands on side. I qualified in game capture and then brought shares in Takeri - then the logical thing to do was to get my PH license. As some of you will know - in Zambia this can take several years to obtain as your time actually hunting - under other recognised PH@s is what counts as much as your book knowledge. Lucky for me growing up in the bush already meant I had a lot of experience with animal behaviour - a crucial part of hunting. 2 years ago I got my plains game license and have been hunting at Takeri and a few other areas of Zambia and I am in the process of gaining experience for my dangerous game license - hope next year to do some hunts with Andrew! watch this space!!

Professional Hunter

posted Hide Post
Takeri Private Reserve is situated on the banks of the Kafue river - in the copperbelt region of Zambia. Our area covers 3500 hectares - and our boundary is made up of 16 km of river frontage on three sides and then a mere 12 km of fence demarcates us from the community -
species - sable, livingstone eland, defassa waterbuck, crayshaw zebra, reedbuck, Kafue lechwe, puku, warthog, chobe bushbuck - a large concentration of blue duiker, common duiker, sharpes grysbok and then several of the smaller mammals from honey badger, civit, genets etc
- my internet is very slow and sometimes I cannot get onto AR but can always receive emails via vsat so my email address is patsyzambia@gmail.com
cheers

Professional Hunter

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
good to see another woman aboard here. May help tame some of these foul talkers a bit. IF D. would use her name maybe some of them would realize she's a woman!

Many of us guys admire a woman that's capable and willing to get out there and do what needs done. Hope you hang around here and share your hunts. Just don't let one of those big devils take a bite out of you!

George

Hi I used a 30-06 with sako 220 grain - seems to do the job!

Professional Hunter

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Patsy and AR's Faisal during part of her apprenticeship for dangerous game.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

posted Hide Post
that was such a great time at Royal Kafue!! looking forward to next years hunting!

Professional Hunter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to AR I look forward to your posts.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:

George

George;

If I used my name "Darin", most would really be confused about me being a woman!!!!

Best regards, D. (Darin) Nelson

One of Us
Picture of Cajun1956
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by fairgame:
Patsy and AR's Faisal during part of her apprenticeship for dangerous game.

tu2 Congratulations! Well done.

DSC Life Member
HSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
SCI
RMEF

Posts: 2021 | Location: Republic of Texico | Registered: 20 June 2012Reply With Quote