New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tanzania or Botswana
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If you were going on a ten day buffalo hunt which would you prefer? Ive been to Zim and Zambia but cost is an issue. Want a wild area with few people plainsgame not really an issue. Are charters about equal comparing the selous and the okovango?

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
The main difference is that Botswana only issues very small quotas and hence sells out very early.......we're sold out there until 2008.

Tanzania has much larger quotas and therefore it's easier to get a booking at shorter notice.

Charter prices are similar on a per flying hour basis but in both areas some flights are obviously shorter than others.

both countries offer fabulous hunting - but (IMO) Botswana is at its best for Elephant hunting and Tanzania is at its best for Buffalo hunting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gunny:

I am either going to do a buff/sable/leopard hunt in 2006 in Zim or a 2 buff hunt in Masai in Tanzania. The buff are bigger there than in the Selous. Selous prices appear to be good, but the charter is expensive. And, 7 days to shoot 2 buff is kinda rushing it.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are some good areas in the Selous that have very big bulls(43+), as good or better than the buffalo in Masailand.

An area in the Selous I hunt has thousands of buffalo and I have taken some some stroker bulls.

However, the best dates do sell out quickly.
November or December may be the only time period left. Just before the rain starts or it could be raining then.

Charter is expensive, but area is very good for big buffalo. A physical hunt, but most guys don't mind hunting hard for a couple of big 'Dugga Boys'.

I would agree, 7 days is a short time to take 2 quality bulls.

JMO

Best,
Phil

Professional Hunter - Tanzania

Posts: 88 | Location: So. Cal & Tanzania | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Steve's assessment.

A bonus in Tanzania is that due to the abundance of buffalo, a second bull could be arranged for a reasonable trophy fee. After all, the heavy lifting is in the daily rates, and you would have already paid them.

That option is generally not available in Botswana.

*************************Conservationist. Reformed Attorney. Producer of Outdoor Media.

www.stevescott.tv

Posts: 192 | Location: Norman, OK USA | Registered: 01 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I plan on a 10 day hunt so two buffalo should be doable. The thing is I just love to hunt buffalo and If I didnt get the second one it wont be the end of the world. I hear the selous is a must see before ones demise. The hunt would be for 2006.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Gunny,

If you decide on Tanzania, I would be happy to send you a quote.

Best,
Phil
www.go-on-safari.com

Professional Hunter - Tanzania

Posts: 88 | Location: So. Cal & Tanzania | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote