THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Cecil the lion’s son has been shot dead by trophy hunters in Zimbabwe
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cecil the lion’s son has been shot dead by trophy hunters in Zimbabwe
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

Richard Hartley-ParkinsonRichard Hartley-Parkinson for Metro.co.ukThursday 20 Jul 2017 2:06 pm

The son of the famous Cecil the Lion has been shot dead in Zimbabwe by trophy hunters.

Lions of Hwange National Park said that Xanda was allegedly killed by PH Richard Cooke who also killed Xanda’s brother in 2015.

He was just over six years old and had several young cubs.

Cecil the Lion lion was killed two years ago by dentist Walter Palmer, sparking international outrage.

His death sparked an unprecedented level of outrage and protest across the world, with people calling for an end to trophy lion hunting.

Lions of Hwange National Park said this afternoon: ‘Today we heard that a few days ago, Xanda, the son of #CecilTheLion has been shot on a trophy hunt by Zimbabwe PH Richard Cooke. Cooke also killed Xanda’s brother in 2015, he was only about 4 years old then.

‘Xanda is still a young father at 6.2 years old and has several young cubs. We can’t believe that now, 2 years since Cecil was killed, that his oldest Cub #Xanda has met the same fate.

When will the Lions of Hwange National Park be left to live out their years as wild born free lions should…?’

Link has photo of the lion.

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2017/07/20/...92994/#ixzz4nNRyzAEk

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/ceci...unter-125319058.html

Cecil the lion's son, Xanda, 'shot dead' in Zimbabwe by professional hunter

Max BurmanYahoo News UK 20 July 2017

The son of Cecil the lion, whose death two years ago at the hands of an American hunter caused widespread outrage, has reportedly been shot on a trophy hunt in Zimbabwe.

Xanda, the son of Cecil, was apparently shot dead by a professional hunter called Richard Cooke. Mr Cooke is also thought to have shot dead Xanda’s brother in 2015.

Yahoo News has contacted Mr. Cooke for comment.

Walter Palmer, a lifelong big-game hunter and dentist from Minnesota, touched off a global controversy when he killed Cecil, a rare black-maned lion, with a bow and arrow outside Hwange National Park in western Zimbabwe in July 2015.

Now a Facebook account seemingly linked to the park has announced Xanda’s death.

Today we heard that a few days ago, Xanda, the son of #CecilTheLion has been shot on a trophy hunt by Zimbabwe PH…
Posted by Lions of Hwange National Park on Thursday, July 20, 2017
The post says Xanda was a young father, with several cubs. According to a 2015 article in The Guardian, Xanda “was seen mating repeatedly with lionesses.”

While Zimbabwean authorities said Palmer had legal authority to hunt, they were stung by the international outcry over Cecil’s death and charged local hunter Theo Bronkhorst, who assisted Palmer, with failing to prevent an unlawful hunt.

Cecil had been fitted with a collar to track his movements but strayed outside the confines of Hwange National Park and was then shot. Bronkhorst was accused of laying bait to lure Cecil out of the park. Palmer said at the time that no one in his hunting party realized the targeted lion was Cecil.

In November 2016, a Zimbabwean court threw out charges against Bronkhurst.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Jesus.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm glad he wasn't shot alive.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never one to suggest limiting hunting opportunities, but maybe this subset of lions should not be hunted. The blow back is not worth it.

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Don't retreat. Naming game animals does NOT protect livestock, put food in bellies, save endangered species, conserve wildlife.

Posts: 3512 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana Bunduki:
Never one to suggest limiting hunting opportunities, but maybe this subset of lions should not be hunted. The blow back is not worth it.

Jeff

Either that or kill them all.

Most of my money I spent on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted

Posts: 261 | Location: Saint Thomas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
quote:

Wonderful! Bravo! This is what is meant by "sustainable utilization" of wildlife. In a few year's time Ceil's grandsons will be old enough to shoot by trophy hunters.

And so on in eternity! Sustainable utilization of a protected natural resource. Way to go !

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew McLaren:
quote:

Wonderful! Bravo! This is what is meant by "sustainable utilization" of wildlife. In a few year's time Cecil's grandsons will be old enough to shoot by trophy hunters.

And so on in eternity! Sustainable utilization of a protected natural resource. Way to go !

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/new...nearhwange-national/

Exclusive: Cecil the Lion's son Xanda killed by trophy hunter

Peta Thornycroft
20 JULY 2017 • 2:35PM

One of Cecil the Lion’s cubs has been shot dead by a big game trophy hunter in Zimbabwe, just two years after his father was killed in similar circumstances.

The six-year-old lion named Xanda, who was in his prime, was killed just outside the Hwange National Park in north west Zimbabwe, not far from where Cecil was killed in 2015.

His death was discovered because Xanda was wearing an an electronic collar, fitted by researchers monitoring his movements in the area.

When the Zimbabwean professional hunter on the shoot, Richard Cooke from RC Safaris, discovered the dead lion had a collar, he handed it back to the researchers.

Andrew Loveridge from the Department of Zoology at Oxford University, which has a team supplying and fixing collars which monitor the lions in the Hwange National Park, said: "I fitted it last October. It was monitored almost daily and we were aware that Xanda and his pride was spending a lot of time out of the park in the last six months, but there is not much we can do about that.

“Richard Cooke is one of the 'good' guys. He is ethical and he returned the collar and communicated what had happened. His hunt was legal and Xanda was over 6 years old so it is all within the stipulated regulations.”

Mr Loveridge said he hoped that there would soon be a 5km exclusion zone around the Hwange National Park so that hunters would no longer accidentally shoot collared lions that wonder outside the boundary of the Park.

Cecil the Lion had wandered outside of the Park to the area of his birth, close to the boundary.

Mr Cooke, a well known professional hunter who lives in Victoria Falls, did not answer his phones on Thursday and has not yet revealed the name of his client. But most lion shooters are from the US, UK, Germany or South Africa.

The client may have paid about £40 000 for the shoot and for Xanda’s head to be cured and mounted and sent to him wherever he lives.

Cecil the Lion's death on July 1, 2015, caused global outrage and threw a spotlight on trophy hunting in Africa.

The Telegraph broke the news that Walter James Palmer, a 55-year-old dentist from Minnesota, US, was discovered to have paid US$65,000 (about £50,000 in today's exchange rate) to shoot and kill the much-loved lion with a bow and arrow.

He was forced to abandon his practice in suburban Minneapolis for weeks amid an international outcry over his actions.

Conservation groups in Zimbabwe and around the world reacted angrily too - partly because the Cecil was known to visitors and seemingly enjoyed human contact, and partly because of the way in which he was killed.

The 13-year-old big cat and shot at night near his birth place, close to the national park. He didn't die immediately and was tracked down the following day and finished off.

His head was curing in Bulawayo in preparation to be dried and mounted when police seized it. Charges against Dr Palmer were later withdrawn.

Following the incident, many US hunters cancelled trips to Zimbabwe as the massive level of negative media coverage dominated headlines for weeks.

However, some have begun returning to Zimbabwe as the US ban on the importation of trophies has been lifted.

More then 70 per cent of funds to safeguard Zimbabwe’s wildlife and catch poachers comes from revenue from professional hunters.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
More then 70 per cent of funds to safeguard Zimbabwe’s wildlife and catch poachers comes from revenue from professional hunters.

.............and how much comes from antis?

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As long as the lion was killed legally, under fair-chase, I say "Kudus to the successful hunters".

Trying to "sensationalize" the killing of a "special" animal is doing a disservice to the entire industry of Safari hunting, and is degrading the worth of all the other animals that are legally hunted and killed.

JMO.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My only concern is he is identified as having cubs. This implies he was holding a pride whose cubs will now be killed.

Only if you are telling me competent professionals on the ground cannot determine that a particular male is prideless would I agree to remove them from the bag.

To me the issue is not how old a lion is. The issue is does that male lion have a pride whose cubs will be killed if that lion is removed. When I say the issue is not how old the lion is, I mean I would want to kill the oldest, non breeding, save him from the heynas male. Hiwever, from a sustainable use stand point I see less harm done in killing a 3 year old with no pride/cubs than a 6 year old with pride/cubs.

Posts: 12093 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
As long as the lion was killed legally, under fair-chase, I say "Kudus to the successful hunters".

When safari hunting collapses and 'the group of best PHs' start scratching holes in the ground to make a living I might remind you of this statement.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of bambazonke
posted Hide Post
well done to PH Cooke am sure this is wonderful old trophy Lion , hunted LEGALLY

I Will lay my c### on a block , little JOHNNY strikes again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 104 | Location: Zimbabwe somewhere | Registered: 31 August 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heCFcUEqknc

Youtube news video concerning the lion.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
An example of what is legal and what is wise coming into conflict...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
us

And in other news Zelda the Zebra thanks the hunter for finally bringing to justice her husbands killer

Member NRA, NFA,CSSA,DSC,SCI,AFGA

Posts: 266 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 10 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
quote:

Jeff

Best understatement of the day.

Posts: 769 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wesheltonj:
quote:

Jeff

Best understatement of the day.

Keeps shooting progeny of the main player in this and it will be "can not" versus "should not" real quick.

One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted Hide Post
... let's just hope the hunter was not one of the Trump brothers!!!

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
However, some have begun returning to Zimbabwe as the US ban on the importation of trophies has been lifted.

Really?

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who says the lion had cubs? Who identified it as a pride male? My lunch today was a bison burger who had off-spring I haven't named yet. I hope they are as delicious as their old man when they grow up and are slaughtered for profit. Yummy.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
An example of what is legal and what is wise coming into conflict...

Exactly . . . made the national network news this evening . . . and at the same time that groups are working hard to have the USFWS import ban on lion lifted. 2020

Mike

Posts: 21692 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zim Ph's? rotflmo

Couldn't help it... stir

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch44:
Who says the lion had cubs? Who identified it as a pride male? My lunch today was a bison burger who had off-spring I haven't named yet. I hope they are as delicious as their old man when they grow up and are slaughtered for profit. Yummy.

The Oxford researcher...that's who....

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I want to shoot Cecil's father.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13625 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
https://www.wildcru.org/news/x...ils-grand-offspring/

Are Cecil’s grand offspring on the way? David Macdonald reports that a 4 and a half year old male lion, nicknamed Xanda, which the WildCRU team has monitored since his cubhood is almost certainly one of Cecil’s sons

December 8, 2015

Last week Xanda was seen mating repeatedly with lionesses from the so-called Backpans Pride – pregnancy in lions lasts about 110 days, so all being well Cecil’s grand offspring should be around in March.

Actually, as followers of our News Items will remember, while Andy Loveridge and I started the Hwange Lion Project in 1999, it was 2008 when we first tagged Cecil, already 5 years old with a satellite tag. Following that period, from 2009-2013 he was the coalition male in a pride called Backpans pride. Thereafter, ousted from that position, and palling up with a similarly ousted middle-aged male nicknamed Jericho, the two of them took over the Ngweshla pride – indeed, to those studying lion sociology, one of the most interesting things about Cecil was this second bite of the reproductive cherry in his declining years – a very unusual occurrence.

The point of the story, however, is that there are good reasons to expect that many of Cecil’s offspring are to be found amongst the current generation of lions in the Hwange-Okavango landscape. Often, we cannot be sure, without the genetic testing that we expect one day to do with our stored samples, exactly which cubs descend from a particular candidate father – the task is made more complex because all the males in a given coalition generally mate often with each of the females in their pride. However, in the case of Xanda (whose code is BACeM2 in our database) a combination of rather unusual circumstances gives ground for confidence – when he was born in May 2011 Cecil was actually the only pride male around and, aside from the possibility that he was cuckolded, is very likely Xanda’s father. How do we know Xanda all these years later – the answer is that the whisker patterns on lions’ faces are like fingerprints – each one unique to an individual. One of our field team, Jane Hunt, backs up an almost photographic memory for lion whiskers with a catalogue of photos, and she confirmed from our archive that the facial whisker patterns of that cub of Cecil’s in 2011 are exactly the same as those of Xanda, photographed mid-mating last week.

The real point of this story is not just the pleasure we might all take in thinking of Cecil’s lineage continuing, but more especially the illustration of the power of long-term studies in animal ecology. We have worked tirelessly for over 16 years to document the lives of these lions, in order better to understand their biology and thereby better to inform and plan their conservation. For animals that live for many years, it takes many years to build up a picture of their lives, giving us now the capacity to follow the fates of lineages through the population.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Poyntman:
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch44:

The Oxford researcher...that's who....

Male lion with Cubs dies. His dependent Cubs die when the pride is taken over. That is science that all hunters have come to accept. Kill a pride lion you have killed that next generation of lions. About 2012 the WWF was quoting 30k. I do not care what anyone else says I trust WWF numbers, so kill a lion with Cubs and kill Safrai hunting with it.

Posts: 12093 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
Story made ABC Evening News tonight--

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1553 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Parasites like Downes and Pacelle will be gleefully chortling all the way to the bank. I say kill any animal that has a name. Barbed wire-wrapped baseball bat.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spooksar:
quote:
us

And in other news Zelda the Zebra thanks the hunter for finally bringing to justice her husbands killer

Big Grin rotflmo

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
My only concern is he is identified as having cubs. This implies he was holding a pride whose cubs will now be killed.

Only if you are telling me competent professionals on the ground cannot determine that a particular male is prideless would I agree to remove them from the bag.

To me the issue is not how old a lion is. The issue is does that male lion have a pride whose cubs will be killed if that lion is removed. When I say the issue is not how old the lion is, I mean I would want to kill the oldest, non breeding, save him from the heynas male. Hiwever, from a sustainable use stand point I see less harm done in killing a 3 year old with no pride/cubs than a 6 year old with pride/cubs.

Very good point. archer

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They have named the hunter. I believe he was Spanish.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Canned Lions, I could care less, much the same as cattle, hogs, sheep..The only thing about killing canned Lions is its one wild lion that's not killed by that hunter, and I only care about the wild Lion and management thru hunting and conservation, stop the poaching, age the Lions to be shot, Do what we do with other wildlife, or range cattle, managethem and don't let the might dollar or politics determinme whats best for any animal. those guys can screw up an anvil with a powder puff.

I,m concerned about the wild Lions, elephant, Rhino, Leopard and other species that interfere with man. The sometimes totally useless black government must take a stand, and it may be all for naught as the DG kills the African people destroys their crops, interferes with their life, and seems like the animals seldom win in the long run, despite efforts by some..Hope that's changing and they realize the income generated by their wildlife..or so it seems to me. Im sure some have a better handle on this than I and are making efforts to maintain huntable herds of all animals.

I wouldn't be surprised at some point that lions raised behind a fence may be the salvation of future lions??

I think this is more important than some old pet Lion. I prefer Simba to Cecil! and I have no use for the far left liberal anti hunters who do nothing constructive and bring to mind the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Am I wrong?

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lion populations are not in any way limited by trophy hunting, rather by loss of habitat to settlement and farming. Human reproduction is the problem, not trophy hunting. As has been stated ad nauseam, without hunting there is no incentive to set aside any land outside the few national parks for wildlife. And it makes sense, for a number of reasons, to establish hunting concessions around the national parks. If there is habitat and game is protected from poaching in that habitat, the lion population will quickly fill the void to capacity. Not every dominant male, or every cub, has to survive for this to happen. In fact most of the cubs can die and lion populations will still max out.

Postscript: "game farming" is not a substitute for hunting areas adjoining national parks. We all know there are no lion populations on game farms, other than captive-bred lions that are briefly released. Game farmers and sheep farmers are pretty much the same thing, as far as lion conservation is concerned.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kathi:
https://www.wildcru.org/news/x...ils-grand-offspring/

Are Cecil’s grand offspring on the way? David Macdonald reports that a 4 and a half year old male lion, nicknamed Xanda, which the WildCRU team has monitored since his cubhood is almost certainly one of Cecil’s sons

December 8, 2015

Last week Xanda was seen mating repeatedly with lionesses from the so-called Backpans Pride – pregnancy in lions lasts about 110 days, so all being well Cecil’s grand offspring should be around in March.

Actually, as followers of our News Items will remember, while Andy Loveridge and I started the Hwange Lion Project in 1999, it was 2008 when we first tagged Cecil, already 5 years old with a satellite tag. Following that period, from 2009-2013 he was the coalition male in a pride called Backpans pride. Thereafter, ousted from that position, and palling up with a similarly ousted middle-aged male nicknamed Jericho, the two of them took over the Ngweshla pride – indeed, to those studying lion sociology, one of the most interesting things about Cecil was this second bite of the reproductive cherry in his declining years – a very unusual occurrence.

The point of the story, however, is that there are good reasons to expect that many of Cecil’s offspring are to be found amongst the current generation of lions in the Hwange-Okavango landscape. Often, we cannot be sure, without the genetic testing that we expect one day to do with our stored samples, exactly which cubs descend from a particular candidate father – the task is made more complex because all the males in a given coalition generally mate often with each of the females in their pride. However, in the case of Xanda (whose code is BACeM2 in our database) a combination of rather unusual circumstances gives ground for confidence – when he was born in May 2011 Cecil was actually the only pride male around and, aside from the possibility that he was cuckolded, is very likely Xanda’s father. How do we know Xanda all these years later – the answer is that the whisker patterns on lions’ faces are like fingerprints – each one unique to an individual. One of our field team, Jane Hunt, backs up an almost photographic memory for lion whiskers with a catalogue of photos, and she confirmed from our archive that the facial whisker patterns of that cub of Cecil’s in 2011 are exactly the same as those of Xanda, photographed mid-mating last week.

The real point of this story is not just the pleasure we might all take in thinking of Cecil’s lineage continuing, but more especially the illustration of the power of long-term studies in animal ecology. We have worked tirelessly for over 16 years to document the lives of these lions, in order better to understand their biology and thereby better to inform and plan their conservation. For animals that live for many years, it takes many years to build up a picture of their lives, giving us now the capacity to follow the fates of lineages through the population.

It was pointed out to me by a Zim chap that these research Lions are wide ranging through out the hunting area and are considered fairgame. He also pointed out that if all the Lions in the region were collared then what other alternatives would there be?

I have seen the picture of the Lion and to be honest it looks older than 4.5 years and bears non of the hallmarks of a young male.

As stated the hunt was legal but the ramifications are increasingly more complex.

The researchers would do well to open a line of communication with the hunting fraternity.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:

The researchers would do well to open a line of communication with the hunting fraternity.

archer

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
ZPHGA Statement

Sounds like there is more to story than being told.

PHGA Statement

On the 30th of June 2017, a lion known by operators in Hwange National Park as “Xanda” was shot during a safari conducted by a licenced professional hunter and member of ZPHGA.
Richard Cooke is an ethical, respected member of our Association. Mr Cooke was contracted by Zimbabwe Forestry Commission as a professional hunter, in their area. The hunt was legal, with all paperwork and regulations being in order and followed in accordance with the Zimbabwe hunting laws.

These are the facts:
On the 29th of June, a Lion track was found, 12km into the Forestry concession.
On the 30th of June, the Lion was shot dead 2,5km from the Park.
Before entertaining the thought of hunting this cat, and knowing the history of this area, both the Senior Ranger for ZNPWMA in the area, and the field representative for Hwange’s lion research project were contacted by the professional hunter. Both confirmed that the lion, previously with a pride in the park, had been ousted by a coalition and had taken up residence in the adjacent forestry concession for the past 6 months. They furthermore confirmed that the lion in question did not have any dependant cubs and was of a legal age for harvesting under new regulations adopted by ZNPWMA to comply with USFW guidelines for sustainable utilization ( Less than 2.5% of the 2 000 lions (2016 survey)resident in Zimbabwe were harvested in 2016 under this new programme).
It is not illegal to hunt a collared animal in Zimbabwe. The collaring of lion, and various other species, in and around Zimbabwe’s national parks and other wildlife refuges, is for research purposes – not for direct protection. The dynamics of big cats is still under research and includes their ranging into hunting areas and further into populated communal areas. The professional hunter was asked to return the lion’s collar to Hwange’s lion researchers in working order, which after harvesting him, he duly did.

Ngamo/Sikumi is 420 000 acres of unfenced wilderness area under the authority of the government parastatal: The Forestry Commission of Zimbabwe. This area is allocated one male lion on quota per year, which is monitored by ZNPWMA.

The motto of our Association is "ethics are everything". Our professional hunters and guides are the most stringently examined in the world. Our members are all ambassadors of wildlife conservation, both consumptive and non-consumptive.

James Rosenfels
ZPHGA Chairman 2017

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37811 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:

When safari hunting collapses and 'the group of best PHs' start scratching holes in the ground to make a living I might remind you of this statement.

If safari hunting "collapses" it will be due to exorbitant prices and/or ridiculous "hoop jumping" required by overzealous (and greedy) bureaucrats in both the hunting countries and the countries where the trophies are imported.

Even in Colorado (a state where hunting has a big impact on the economy), insane game regulations like you have to "harvest" the meat of a mountain lion, and no hunting bears with dogs or over bait has just about killed off hunting for those two species.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote