New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rhino Hunt - Namibia -NYTimes
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A long,generally sound op-ed in today's NYTimes by animal behavior author Richard Conniff
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01...html?hp&rref=opinion

praises Namibia for sound wildlife conservation policies, and hunters for their role, concluding by putting greens in their place.

Some quotes:

--The hunters come first, because the conservancies don't need to make any investment to attract them.
--...Namibia is just about the only place on earth to have gotten conservation right for rhinos and, incidentally, a lot of other wildlife
--Trophy hunting one rhino may thus save many others from being butchered.
--But so far nothing else matches trophy hunting for paying the bills...visit the conservancies...You will see that this country is doing grand, ambitious things for conservation. And you may come away wondering whether Americans, who struggle to live with species as treacherous as, say, the prairie dog, should really be telling Namibians how to run their wildlife.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Carney:
A long,generally sound op-ed in today's NYTimes by animal behavior author Richard Conniff
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01...html?hp&rref=opinion

praises Namibia for sound wildlife conservation policies, and hunters for their role, concluding by putting greens in their place.

Some quotes:

--The hunters come first, because the conservancies don't need to make any investment to attract them.
--...Namibia is just about the only place on earth to have gotten conservation right for rhinos and, incidentally, a lot of other wildlife
--Trophy hunting one rhino may thus save many others from being butchered.
--But so far nothing else matches trophy hunting for paying the bills...visit the conservancies...You will see that this country is doing grand, ambitious things for conservation. And you may come away wondering whether Americans, who struggle to live with species as treacherous as, say, the prairie dog, should really be telling Namibians how to run their wildlife.
Regards, Tim

clap

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37790 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Excellent, and about time.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2 Outstanding article.........wonder when he will start getting death threats.....

Posts: 42341 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is probably the best article ever written on the subject.

Posts: 1919 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love the ending. Ecological colonialism seems to be the goal of the anti's.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And in the NY Times. Wow.

Don

Trust only those who stand to lose as much as you do when things go wrong.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Nice piece. I bet there were a number of folks that choked on their lattes at Starbucks in NYC reading the NYT yesterday.

Mike

Posts: 21684 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Even more suprising than the NY Times having something positive to say about hunting (albeit in an oped piece) was the general gist of the reader comments with my quick reading of them being more thinking the auction and hunt was a good idea rather than a bad idea.

Posts: 344 | Location: Reno, Nevada | Registered: 05 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bravo!!!! Maybe the tide is turning ever so slightly, some are starting to see the eco-terrorists for what they really are, and hunters for what we have already done.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2 tu2

Posts: 1815 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DonW28:
And in the NY Times. Wow.

Don

Amazing that this came from the Obama Times!

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Nice piece. I bet there were a number of folks that choked on their lattes at Starbucks in NYC reading the NYT yesterday.

yuck ...but so true!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37790 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote