Notify
Tools

Re: Leopard load for 338?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Quote:

HT

I have never shot a leopard, but, given their size and shooting distance I can't think of anything better than a 200gr Hornady Flat Nose at 2,750 fps.

montero

I have shot rabbits using the old .33 winchester 200 grain flat nose bullet at close to 3000 fps out of a 338. The bullet explodes and will literally cut a rabbit in half.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
Any suggestions as to a 338 Winchester Mag bullet to use for leopard? I'm not sure how fragile is good, nor how tough is good, so I'm asking for opinions.

Shooting from a blind, max 75 yards.

My first thought - 210 Nosler. Others?

Posts: 731 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HT

I have never shot a leopard, but, given their size and shooting distance I can't think of anything better than a 200gr Hornady Flat Nose at 2,750 fps.

montero

Posts: 874 | Location: Madrid-Spain | Registered: 03 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
You need a fast expanding bullet for Mr Spots as he is so thin skinned. I would suggest something like a Win Silvertip as your best option. Any slow expanding bullet will shoot through without expanding and then some poor bugger has to go looking for a very pissed off pussy cat.

one of us
posted Hide Post
HT,

I would suggest 210 gr SWIFT A-FRAMES or Trophy Bonded Bear Claws, as these bullets expand well and retain weight well after entry. Shot placement is the most important factor, Leopards are soft skinned if your shot is in the right place there will be no problems.

Posts: 181 | Location: Windhoek Namibia | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
HT: Your own suggestion is the best so far. Winchester no longer manufactures the "old" Silvertip. That 210 Nosler will give you the best of both worlds with a Leopard. A fast bullet wth lots of impact ( cats are very succeptible to hydrostasis)AND penetration. You'll get one HEll of a smack with the Nosler plus through penetration. Although I dearly love the Aframes I think they are too tough. My second choice would be a 225gr Hornady Interlock. jorge

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HT, I once used a 200gr Hornady out of my 338/06 at 2800 fps. I shot a small buck (110 lb) at 75 yd with it. It made a large hole ( fist size ) on the exit and needless to say the deer droped at the shot. The use of that Hornady flat point bullet is also something to think about. Good luck on your hunt.

Posts: 472 | Location: Bothell WA | Registered: 31 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
210 grs partition will be the absolutely best choice, you will have guaranteed penetration and most important an extremely fast expansion of the front part of the bullet. Anyone who has shot game with Nosler partitions (not partition Golds) know of the (meat)damage they will do...

Usually when I do not have to eat the meat of what I shoot myself I will use partitions

Posts: 186 | Location: 9750 Honningsvaag, Norway | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try some 200 gr Horndy Spire Points too.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

I have shot rabbits using the old .33 winchester 200 grain flat nose bullet at close to 3000 fps out of a 338. The bullet explodes and will literally cut a rabbit in half.

500GR,

I do not get the point, sorry.

I have shot a number of magpies, crows, rabits and hares with an 8x68S and smetimes cut them in half, sometimes blew them up into pieces, but I do not think that had nothing to do with the bullet exploding because I was using hunting bullets thought and built for 8x68S speeds. Moreover, I remember a couple of rabbits being almost vaporized with a 196gr round nose full metal jacket..

Maybe it all has to do with speed in such small animals and such large bullets.

regards,

montero

Posts: 874 | Location: Madrid-Spain | Registered: 03 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the thoughts, gentlemen. I will probably try the 210 Nosler moving at a pretty good clip. I have also thought about the 180 grain ballistic tip Noslers, but am a bit hesitant about their desirability for hunting a dangerous animal. Am also considering the Hornadys, as I've always found them to be quite good bullets.

Oh well, I have a bit of time to think it through. I do appreciate the input and opinions.

Posts: 731 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote