Find
Notify
Tools

Order of the March
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
I am reading Thomas Hammond's book Only in Africa. In the book he describes a number of tracking sessions and in those sessions the client is always walking directly behind the tracker and in front of the PH. I also recently watched the DVD The Ivory Trail featuring the elephant hunting exploits of Sam and Rose Pancotto. In many of the segments the client made the approach on the elephant in front of the PH or in some cases alone. Is that a practice that existed in earlier times and has been replaced today? Seems like in most modern hunts the client is third in line after the tracker and the PH. Just curious.

Question:
In your experience, when tracking who has walked directly behind the tracker?

Choices:
PH
Client

Mike

Posts: 21663 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I was behind the trackers and PH on all four of my elephants while we tracked, on the final approach the trackers drifted back and the PH and I moved up for the shot. This was with three different PHs, Buzz Charlton, Brent Leesmay and Martin Pieters.

My first elephant was a cow and we shot her during a charge so the trackers might have moved a bit faster than a "drift" on that one! Ole Crispin could move when he had to...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7557 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tracker-PH-Me

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I couldn't answer the question as I have done it both ways. It appears to me that for new elephant hunters the PH will take the lead but after several or more elephant the PH in my case told me to take the lead. As time has gone on the PH has drifted farther and farther back on the track and approach. I think it entirely is a function of how much confidence the PH has in your ability and his desire to give you the the maximum freedom to enjoy the experience of leading the hunt.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I've always had the PH in front of me during the tracking sequence. On my last ele this past year, Blake gave me the go ahead to make the final 10 yards or so in front of him.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depending on the circumstances, I've been side by side as well, but mostly behind.

Posts: 10307 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Depending on the circumstances, I've been side by side as well, but mostly behind.

Naughty boy! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you think a lot of that (PH telling you to go forward) is more their confidence in the ability to communicate with you? For example, it would seem pointless to send a client forward who was very hard of hearing.

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or has the word leaked out that its a lot safer keeping him in full view Wink

One of Us
Picture of Pieter Kriel
posted Hide Post
I have not had too many return hunters for elephant but prefer the hunter behind me (and not touching me fujotupu Wink). Trackers move away prior to final approach. There is one hunter here whom I can trust to lead an elephant hunt.

At the last moment the hunter moves beside me and takes the shot.

Mkulu African Hunting Safaris
www.huntinginafricasafaris.com
hunt@huntinginafricasafaris.com

Posts: 210 | Location: Pretoria | Registered: 08 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
'I was hunting with Brent Hein when I killed my first elephant. We'd been up close and personal with dozens of elephants during the 10 days preceeding the event (I also had a tuskless on quota) but we'd never gotten close to a shooter, male or female.

On this, the next to last day, when we saw an old bull, albeit with a broken tusk along the shoreline of Lake Kariba, we began a stalk of about a mile with Freddy first, Brent second and me third. Staying in the think stuff as cover, we hustled most of the distance in the 100 degree heat.

When we began to get close, Brent kept me just behind his right shoulder until we saw the bull, all by himself, right in the middle of a clearing about 100 yards across, his backside to us, he happily taking a spray shower/mud bath in a pool of water that remained from when the lake level was much higher.

Brent asked if I wanted to take a shot from there (45 yards or so). I whispered that I wanted to get closer, not really thinking that I'd be walking out in the open towards the elephant, not a bush or boulder in the way.

Brent just swept his hand in a motion like a doorman would, indicating that the door was open and entrance to the building was offered. I began to walk across the sun-baked clay towards the bull and I guess I was in some type of trance or something, because I can't even remember thinking about want was happening, or even if Brent was following. But, of course, he was right with me.

I kind of "came to" about 20 yards from the bull when I felt Brent reach to my waist and open the cartridge holder to expose extra rounds (I was shooting a Searcy .470 N.E. double and had two solids in the chambers and two between the fingers of my left hand). No reason not to be prepared for all eventualities, I guess... that's why he's a professional and I'm not.

I continued creeping closer to the elephant's backside and I'll be danged if I know why, since in any rational persons mind, 20 yards is close enough.

Then, simultaniously, Brent put his hand on my shoulder to stop me from bumping into the bathing beauty ( I was then about 20 feet from the big guy) and I experienced a warm deluge of red and muddy water envelope me as the bull blew a load of tepid liquid all over his back, the excess dousing me. Trust me, it was not just a little bit of spray, but enough water to thoroughly wet my (already sweat-soggy) tee shirt and britches.

That was close enough.

Brent whistled, the bull whirled, not to charge us but to exit right and I double tapped him, he never making a third step before he crashed to the ground with a very loud thud.

I've since killed a few more elephants and firmly believe that my place is third in line, but at least for the last 2 minutes or so and under perfect circumstances then presented, I got to somewhat choose how the encounter progressed. I don't know if I'd just reach out and counted coup on the sucker if Brent and the bath water didn't stop me... I was so into the idea of getting close. I do remember (once sprayed) wondering what the heck I was doing when I had to look up almost vertically to see the bull's tail when he flipped it just before Brent's whistle...

Anyway, Brent knew what he was doing and let me go as far as possible... and what a thrill that was.

Since then, most always, I'd say that the tracker was first until the final stalk, the P.H. second and me third. During the last few yards, I've been directed forward, the tracker moves back to third, and being a right-handed shooter with right-handed P.H's, they've stood to my right, albeit maybe a half-step to the rear (which makes it easier to speak into my deaf but best right ear) until the shot. It's worked just fine.

Heck, what do I know about elephant hunting. Those guys do it for a living.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7693 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Trophy hunting has changed quite a bit. In the old days, it wasn't all about weight, horn size, spread, SCI Scores, Diamond awards etc.

Hunting was the experience. The ph was not required to judge ivory to the lb. Horn spread or length to the 1/2".

The hunter was actually more of a hunter back then. I am sure the ph's role was the same, without the extreme pressure of making sure the trophy made SCI minimums.

Things have changed. Now the first question out of everyone's mouth is "How much will my Elephant tusks weigh?", "What size Buffalo are you shooting there?", What is the success rate on 50lb + Bulls?"

It's no longer about the experience, the chase, the culture or the actual hunting. Today, the client sits at the back and shoots when he told to shoot because he has certain expectations of what he is going to "kill".

Also, the ph is now required (by the market) to keep his averages up. Photos in photo albums, measurements of every animal are taken into account by his clientele.

I am guilty as charged. I am no different than 90% of American hunter in this aspect. I say American because some of the European and Russians are happy to do it the old way and hunt. There is less pressure to "produce" inches or lbs.

I too want big animals. It's my business, and I fall into the same category as the ph's.

However, I take an active roll in judging my own trophies. I watch, I learn, I make the decision on what to shoot. I have no problem with those who don't. After all, if you want a 53" Kudu, most guys are not experienced enough to judge one.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting an Elephant of XX lbs, or a Sable/Kudu/Eland of XX" Most of us are, after all, trophy hunters.

So, why was the ph behind the client? Two explanations come to mind.

1. Trophy expectations were extremely reasonable and the ph could easily give a "go", "No go" from the back without intense scrutinization.
2. PH was scared of being shot by client. Easier and safer to put him up front.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
If my client is single and hot then I prefer her to be on top. If she wants to go in front then so be it and behind is an attractive alternative.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9947 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
It's no longer about the experience.

It still is for some. Probably why my Buffalo are so small. Big Grin

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7622 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
If my client is single and hot then I prefer her to be on top.
Gee, I'd been wondering where all the hot single female hunters are... they must be all with you Andrew?? bewildered

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JudgeG:
'I was hunting with Brent Hein when I killed my first elephant. We'd been up close and personal with dozens of elephants during the 10 days preceeding the event (I also had a tuskless on quota) but we'd never gotten close to a shooter, male or female.

On this, the next to last day, when we saw an old bull, albeit with a broken tusk along the shoreline of Lake Kariba, we began a stalk of about a mile with Freddy first, Brent second and me third. Staying in the think stuff as cover, we hustled most of the distance in the 100 degree heat.

When we began to get close, Brent kept me just behind his right shoulder until we saw the bull, all by himself, right in the middle of a clearing about 100 yards across, his backside to us, he happily taking a spray shower/mud bath in a pool of water that remained from when the lake level was much higher.

Brent asked if I wanted to take a shot from there (45 yards or so). I whispered that I wanted to get closer, not really thinking that I'd be walking out in the open towards the elephant, not a bush or boulder in the way.

Brent just swept his hand in a motion like a doorman would, indicating that the door was open and entrance to the building was offered. I began to walk across the sun-baked clay towards the bull and I guess I was in some type of trance or something, because I can't even remember thinking about want was happening, or even if Brent was following. But, of course, he was right with me.

I kind of "came to" about 20 yards from the bull when I felt Brent reach to my waist and open the cartridge holder to expose extra rounds (I was shooting a Searcy .470 N.E. double and had two solids in the chambers and two between the fingers of my left hand). No reason not to be prepared for all eventualities, I guess... that's why he's a professional and I'm not.

I continued creeping closer to the elephant's backside and I'll be danged if I know why, since in any rational persons mind, 20 yards is close enough.

Then, simultaniously, Brent put his hand on my shoulder to stop me from bumping into the bathing beauty ( I was then about 20 feet from the big guy) and I experienced a warm deluge of red and muddy water envelope me as the bull blew a load of tepid liquid all over his back, the excess dousing me. Trust me, it was not just a little bit of spray, but enough water to thoroughly wet my (already sweat-soggy) tee shirt and britches.

That was close enough.

Brent whistled, the bull whirled, not to charge us but to exit right and I double tapped him, he never making a third step before he crashed to the ground with a very loud thud.

I've since killed a few more elephants and firmly believe that my place is third in line, but at least for the last 2 minutes or so and under perfect circumstances then presented, I got to somewhat choose how the encounter progressed. I don't know if I'd just reach out and counted coup on the sucker if Brent and the bath water didn't stop me... I was so into the idea of getting close. I do remember (once sprayed) wondering what the heck I was doing when I had to look up almost vertically to see the bull's tail when he flipped it just before Brent's whistle...

Anyway, Brent knew what he was doing and let me go as far as possible... and what a thrill that was.

Since then, most always, I'd say that the tracker was first until the final stalk, the P.H. second and me third. During the last few yards, I've been directed forward, the tracker moves back to third, and being a right-handed shooter with right-handed P.H's, they've stood to my right, albeit maybe a half-step to the rear (which makes it easier to speak into my deaf but best right ear) until the shot. It's worked just fine.

Heck, what do I know about elephant hunting. Those guys do it for a living.
Well said!

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PH and then me and if there is enough room side by side with my PH when its show time.

Posts: 1815 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
In every tracking, in my experience the PH has been behind the tracker, and almost every time I was behind the PH except a couple of times on long treks one of the boys walked between me and the PH with my heavy double over his shoulder with the butt pointing back so it was instantly available to me if needed! I voted “PH” because that is the way it was every time behind the tracker.

……………………………………………………………………………............................................ coffee.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A good PH should be in front without a doubt.IMO,the front position is the most demanding and skillful position.The moment the PH takes this position from the tracker it becomes the most critical time of the hunt.The whole outcome is determined this instant.Knowing when and how to approach.How to glass for a good trophy.Patience.Being able to communicate with the shooter.This is no doubt the highlight moment of the hunt where a talented PH takes the stage.
How a good PH can make an almost impossible situation a sure hit.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote