New
Find
Notify
Tools

7X57 for leopard ???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I received my 4th Ruger #1 today in the 5-gun series endorsed by Craig Boddington - the Leopard in 7X57 caliber. It's maybe the neatest, best-looking Ruger #1 I've ever seen. My question is: do you consider the 7X57 a good leopard gun ? I'll vote first - yes, I think it's perfectly adequate for a leopard. What's your thoughts ?

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1587 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
As long as you use a good bullet and put it in the right place (which applies to any calibre) no problem at all....

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
It can kill a leopard. So what?

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
I would think a 7x57 to be an ideal leopard caliber, especially from a blind. Light recoil makes it easy to shoot very accurately, and it has plenty of oomph for leopards.

Didn't Ruark write in one of his books that Harry Selby had many of his clients shoot leopards with his .243 primarily for the ease of shooting it accurately? If Mr. Selby sees this and can comment, I'd love to read what he has to say.

Posts: 3914 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think it is adequate.

But is it legal for leopard where you hunt?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
What's your thoughts ?

Absolutely! At the relatively close range you shoot leopard from and with a steady rest to properly place the bullet it would be close to ideal.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Not a problem Frank. As Steve says, a quality bullet that won't disintegrate on impact and you'll be fine with good shot placement. My last Tom was done in with the .280 and that's the largest caliber I have ever used on Mr Spots.
I think the biggest problem with using smaller calibers is shot placement. Cat's just don't seem to want to be still many times, and that last millisecond move has created serious problems for a boat load of Leopard hunters. Staying calm and taking only a shot you feel is 95% (just saying we cannot be 100% anytime on a shot with Leopard) will help keep you and your PH in good spirits. Congrats on the #1. Do you know Randall Pence at Ruger? We go way back and used to work together.
Regards,
David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6823 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
David: No, I don't know any of the people at Ruger anymore. Probably ten years ago I had a friend in the gun business that was good friends with quite a few there, but not now. I just bought one of the serial #'s of the Boddington #1's, & was really impressed with the look & feel of this particular one - very good wood on this one. I'm looking forward to seeing you in Dallas.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE

Posts: 1587 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Being a "dumb Mick" I always love to wade into a fight that I might not be an expert about. I never hunted a leopard (but,yes, I have been to Africa)but isn't a leopard a critter weighing rather less than 200 lbs? In fact, I have seen "trophy" pictures on this website of leopards being carried across someone's shoulders -and looking not much bigger than a Highland collie. I said I was a dumb Mick - so let me get to my point - I shot an Canadian black bear that dressed out at an estimated 300 lbs -with one shot from a 7x57, 154 gr. Hornady. at perhaps 80 yards. So why should there be any doubt that it will kill an African animal weighing (on average) half as much? This is entirely apart from the established reputation of the 7x57 for apparently killing anything in Africa? ( according to the stories I have read anyway)

Posts: 680 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 500 Fan
posted Hide Post
I used a 270 Winchester with a 150 grain Nosler Partition and one shot on the shoulder and it was all he wanted. This was an unusually large leopard, over 200 lbs., as he had been eating several of the local cattle for sometime. Although not a 7X57 I consider it to be in the same category. I also agree it's enough cartridge with a Premium bullet and bullet placement--as with any shot; I'd say you would be good to go.

The display of PURE POWER is nothing short of AWESOME !

1 JOHN 3:18

Posts: 327 | Location: The Beautiful Sandhills of America | Registered: 29 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess the box goes along to Dallas, eh. Big Grin

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ed: Four boxes - the .300 H&H & 7X57 for mine, & the same two for the owner of my local gun shop ....... but we'll have plenty of room.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE

posted Hide Post
60 yards over a natural kill on the ground, 120 grain Ballistic Tip at a handloaded 3150 fps, behind the shoulder broadside, .284 entrance, froth and no exit. The taxidermist was pleased.
Regards,
Inyati

Posts: 47 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 26 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of emron
posted Hide Post
I personally would use a 600 overkill, but my wife managed a 1 shot,no follow up kill with her Steyr 7x57 using factory ammo. (she doesnt trustmy handloads!)

Posts: 396 | Location: usa | Registered: 26 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mark DeWet
posted Hide Post
Frank - I have had clients who have shot leopard with a 7mm Mag, 270 and 30.06 - they have all done the job - however as mentioned by previous members - shot placement is VITAL - I prefer the client to use the heaviest grain bullet available for the particular calibre.
All said and done - I am sure that your new aquisition will be most adequate for leopard.

Mark

Mark DeWet
Mark DeWet Safaris - Africa
E-mail: marksafex@icon.co.za

... purveyors of traditional African safaris

Posts: 86 | Location: Southern Africa | Registered: 25 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just so everyone knows, this was just a question for interesting discussion, not info for a future leopard hunt for me. Before too long I hope to hunt for leopard, but when I do, I'll be carrying a Blaser R93 .338 WM topped by a Trijicon 3X9 scope - I've already got the rifle, I'm just waiting for an opportunity to use it.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank - You will absolutely love the Trijicon 3 X 9 with the post. What color post do you have? I used the amber post on my recent hunt in Moz, it was super for the nightime Leopard and the best thing since sliced bread on everything else. It has made all my other scopes real suspect for the trading table. I will purchase a couple more of these in the very near future. I think the 7 X 57 would be great for Leopard by the way.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by Frank Beller:
Just so everyone knows, this was just a question for interesting discussion, not info for a future leopard hunt for me. Before too long I hope to hunt for leopard, but when I do, I'll be carrying a Blaser R93 .338 WM topped by a Trijicon 3X9 scope - I've already got the rifle, I'm just waiting for an opportunity to use it.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
500 Fan:

I read your comment that the 270 Winchester and 7x57 were "in the same category". I am in the odd position of being a lifelong lover of the 270 (130 gr) -and never shot at game with it -even as I always had one for years in the rack (and occasionally went to the range and fired to keep my hand in while I was dreaming about shooting at pronghorn antelope) so I read your comment about taking a quite large leopard with it with interest. I go back far enough to where Frank O'Connor, Gun Editor of Outdoor Life and Warren Page, Gun Editor of Field & Stream, used to argue,in print, about the respective merits of the 270 and the 30-06 on Alaskan brown bear. How times have changed! Today, the argument seems to be whether a Weatherby 700 Mag. or a guided missile is the better choice on brown bear! Smiler

Posts: 680 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 July 2009Reply With Quote