Find
Notify
Tools

SCI Firearms Insurance?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
Anyone have any experience with the SCI firearms insurance? I want to insure my rifles before my trip to Africa. Called my insurance agent and the only quote they could give me was four times the quote for the company that provides coverage to SCI members. While the premium for the SCI coverage is reasonable, the premium will not mean much if they never pay on a claim. So I was curious if anyone has any experience with their claims paying. The company is Sportsman's Insurance Agency, Inc. and they write the policy through T.H.E. Insurance Company. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mike

Mike

Posts: 21241 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you can just qualify your homeowners insurance and list them out for full coverage, usually at a pretty cheap price. don't for your camera, bino's, eetc at the same time

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I have Kemper and they will not schedule firearms. So my agent got a quote from Chubb, but as I said, that quote is 4X the SCI-sponsored program.

Mike

one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
I have mine through Sportsmans Insurance Agency (www.siai.net). The premium runs about $750/year to insure $60K with of guns. Luckily, I haven't had to find out how good they are at paying claims.

Pete

Posts: 809 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I've purchased the SCI ins. but never had to use it. Other ways to go are purchasing trip ins. which covers up to something like $10K in property loss. I did use that on my last trip when i had a dig. cam. nicked in camp. You can also ask the airline for add;l. ins. coverage on your baggage. beer

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm a Sportsmans Insurance fan too.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
After my experience in having the airlines lose my rifles last year (a .470 double and a custom .375, which were fortunately, by some miracle, found and returned), I will not travel again without firearms insurance.

One of Us
Picture of loucfir
posted Hide Post
Well, I don't know if anyone really has the answer on this one. I contacted my homeowners ins., and they will cover as much or little as you may want to $$$$$ trouble is, it's only for the western hemisphere...Well I'm calling SCI tomorrow to get a quote in hopes of having some coverage next month...
TB

Posts: 309 | Location: The Great Northwest | Registered: 25 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mighty Joe
posted Hide Post
My hunting lease buddy has filed more than one claim, one was for actually loosing his binoculars in the woods and they immediately paid up. He seemed pretty satisfied.

The one time I went to Africa, I used them, but didn't have to file a claim so can't personally say.

Prayer, planning, preperation, perseverence, proper procedure, and positive attitude, positively prevents poor performance.

Posts: 910 | Location: Oakwood, OK, USA | Registered: 11 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I filed one claim through the SCI Co. for a pair of Ziess Binos. They paid the replacement cost even though they were 5 years old. Took about 2 weeks. thumb

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dr B
posted Hide Post
Has anyone tried NRA ins. It a good price and scheduling idividual is not required like it is with my home owners
Dr B

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Thanks, very helpful. Think I will go ahead and purchase the coverage from Sportman's Insurance Agency and hope that the policy is never needed -- but the peace of mind will be nice just in case something does happen.

Mike

Mike