Find
Notify
Tools

Cabelas Boycotting HARRISBURG SHOW
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Guys

I have been hearing that the REED EXHIBITIONS Eastern SPORT SHOW, has been boycotted b Cabelas

And others are following suit

This is great for standing uop for your Seond Amendment rights

Walter Enslin
kwansafaris@mweb.co.za
DRSS- 500NE Sabatti
450 Rigby
416 Rigby

Posts: 512 | Location: South Africa, Mozambique, USA,  | Registered: 09 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why are they boycotting? Fill us (me) in.

Skip Nantz

Posts: 539 | Location: SouthEast, KY | Registered: 09 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Basically the show has decided to have only "hunting and sporting" rifles and to not allow any of the "bad" rifles.

Hats off to Cabela's

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

Posts: 937 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Cabelas!
For that, I think I'll order something.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it would be important for ALL exhibitors and attendees to boycott the entire event!!! JMO.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have gone to that show many times.-----not anymore!

Thanks for the info.

Skip Nantz

Posts: 539 | Location: SouthEast, KY | Registered: 09 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If this is true I stand with them. However does anyone have any proof of this? I hate to be a naysayer but we need to see something from an official source. No offense Kwan I believe you! I just need hard facts to back up what I say.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
I think it would be important for ALL exhibitors and attendees to boycott the entire event!!! JMO.

All their shows need to be identified and boycotted. This is the URL for their website: Reed Exhibitions.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

DRSS; NRA; Illinois State Rifle Association; Missouri Sport Shooting Association

“One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain.”
– Thomas Sowell, “The Vision Of The Anointed: Self-Congratulation As A Basis For Social Policy”

Posts: 771 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Something doesn't add up as they also are behind the ShotShow according to their site.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth - just copied this from the Eastern Sports and Outdoors Show website .

quote:
Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show-Update
The Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show is a unique celebration of the authentic hunting and fishing traditions that are cherished by millions of Americans and their families. We are proud to celebrate these pastimes by featuring 1,200 exhibitors offering a diverse range of products from outfitters to fishing boats and RVs, from archery to art and from clothes to cabins.
As a hunting-focused event, we welcome exhibitors who wish to showcase products and firearms that serve the traditional needs of the sport. Clearly, we strongly support the 2nd Amendment. However, this year we have made the decision not to include certain products that in the current climate may attract negative attention that would distract from the strong focus on hunting and fishing at this family-oriented event and possibly disrupt the broader positive experience of our guests.
ESS is proud to participate in the preservation and promotion of the rich hunting and fishing tradition passed from generation to generation by American families.

Would be very interesting to see a large industry player like Cabelas back away from this political correctness stupidity. I sure hope they boycott and many other attendees do as well.

Posts: 535 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 17 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it is true that Cabelas is boycotting then hats off to them. I respect any company that is not going along with the crazies and opportunists and will cintinue to support the companies that support the second ammendment. I also have felt for a long while that all sportsmen & shooters need to coordinate effports to actively boycott the companies that are going along with the so called " politicaly correct " and show these politicians just how much financial clout we really have !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Harrisburg?? That's in Penn. right?? This "great" Northeast part of our Country is currently leading the parade in Anti Gun movements if not mistaken. I realise not ALL folks from there are nutcases, but it seems likely the majority have to be included in that observation at the moment.

Hopefully ALL Companies, in the gun and sporting industry, will follow Cabelas lead and stop supporting those who are trying very hard to kill our 2nd. Ammendment. Kudos again Cabelas!!

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike Smith

No offense taken at all, it is on the Official Facebook page of Cabelas, and a couple of companies here where I am in Denver, at the ISE Show has cancelled and are actively promoting boycotting the companies that do attend the Harrisburg Show

Walter Enslin
kwansafaris@mweb.co.za
DRSS- 500NE Sabatti
450 Rigby
416 Rigby

Posts: 512 | Location: South Africa, Mozambique, USA,  | Registered: 09 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
quote:
This "great" Northeast part of our Country is currently leading the parade in Anti Gun movements if not mistaken.

Coming from rural PA, I don't have any friends that support the current Obama\government movements to restrict our 2nd amendment rights. The outpourings at gun shops all over the area not only speak distain for what is happening but a real concern for the future of the shooting community and the country in general. There are many more long time exhibitors backing out and I, for one, applaud them. I will not be attending either although I promised Phillip from ITS I would gather information for his hopefully attending next year. As sportsmen, we need to stick together and boycott Reed's events.

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

Posts: 668 | Location: WA | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is becoming a pretty big deal here. It's been on the evening news. The HuntingPA.com site and the NJHunter site have quite a lot of info on this. It's nice to see not only the sponsors dropping out, but also the celebrities are begining to decline to participate.
For those of you not familiar with PA folks, Pennsylvania is a very big gun rights state. It's even in our constitution! I beleive we have one of the highest rates of NRA membership. We close schools for the first day of rifle deer season.
Please educate yourself on this and decide whether you want to attend. For the first time in many years, I won't be attending and will be contacting those vendors who won't be attending that I will be supporting them for their decision.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Way to go Cabelas

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2646 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Unbelievable. This kind of liberal, PC, huggy-touchy-feely BS has no place in an industry that depends on our 2nd amendment freedoms. Bowing to the emotional, knee-jerk, bleeding heart, dishonest tactics of the left was an extremely poor decision on their part.

Good for Cabelas and all other businesses that boycott this show. I hope it sends a clear message that this type of weakness can not be tolerated in this industry.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.huntingpa.com/forum...=2932458#Post2932458

Here is a list of cancellations so far. I only live 20 minutes away but I will not be attending this year. Hats off to all of those that are taking a stand.

Doug

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
Unbelievable. This kind of liberal, PC, huggy-touchy-feely BS has no place in an industry that depends on our 2nd amendment freedoms. Bowing to the emotional, knee-jerk, bleeding heart, dishonest, emotional tactics of the left was an extremely poor decision on their part.

Good for Cabelas and all other businesses that boycott this show. I hope it sends a clear message that this type of weakness can not be tolerated in this industry.

I couldn't have said it better, so I won't try.
DO NOT allow this dialog to be about HUNTING...
HUNTING has nothing to do with it.

Posts: 953 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I just called Cabelas customer service line to try to verify this. I talked to a nice guy who said that he had no info on it and he checked some sources, apparently thay have accessible info for any relevant policies/statements and announcements on things such as this. I told him if it were true, they have my unconditional support! He gave me a Corporate number to call, but being sunday, I got the voicemail. If we can confirm this as fact, I think we all need to give them a call to voice our support!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lee440:
I just called Cabelas customer service line to try to verify this. I talked to a nice guy who said that he had no info on it and he checked some sources, apparently thay have accessible info for any relevant policies/statements and announcements on things such as this. I told him if it were true, they have my unconditional support! He gave me a Corporate number to call, but being sunday, I got the voicemail. If we can confirm this as fact, I think we all need to give them a call to voice our support!

It is true. Cabelas posted the official statement on their Facebook page. I was going to copy and paste it here, but for some reason I can't do it from my iPad.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Is this what you want;

PHILADELPHIA (AP) – Hunting and fishing retailer Cabela’s Inc. will not participate in what has been billed as Pennsylvania’s largest outdoor sports show next month following the decision to ban the display and sale of assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition magazines.

Event organizer Reed Exhibitions imposed the ban at the Eastern Sports and Outdoors Show following the deadly Connecticut elementary school shooting that has prompted the ongoing gun control debate in Washington.

The event’s website says officials “strongly support the 2nd Amendment” but decided negative attention on such weapons “would distract from the strong focus on hunting and fishing at this family-oriented event and possibly disrupt the broader positive experience of our guests.”

Cabela’s said on its Facebook page on Saturday that after carefully considering their business practices “and the feelings of our customers, Cabela’s will, unfortunately, not have a presence at the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show.”

Event director Chris O’Hara of Reed Exhibitions did not immediately return a call seeking comment.
The nine-day show is scheduled to open Feb. 2 at the Pennsylvania Farm Show Complex in Harrisburg.

Word of the event organizer’s action drew numerous calls for a boycott from gun enthusiasts on the show’s Facebook page and accusations that Reed wasn’t standing up for their Second Amendment right to bear arms.

The National Rifle Association issued a statement calling upon Reed Exhibitions to reconsider, saying their future participation in the show would be determined by the response. The NRA also urged members to follow the organization’s lead by “voicing their displeasure.”
Several other companies earlier announced their intention to withdraw from the show. The (Lancaster) Intelligencer Journal/Lancaster New Era said Kinsey’s Outdoors of Mount Joy, Lancaster Archery Supply and Trop Gun Shop of Elizabethtown had said they do not intend to participate.

Cabela’s Inc., of Sidney, Neb., currently has 40 outdoor gear and sporting goods stores across the United States and Canada.

(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

More here;

http://www.google.co.za/#q=Cab...5b0&biw=1024&bih=605 Cool

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HuntNBgame
posted Hide Post
Also just heard Micheal Waddell from Bone Collector is also going to boycott the show.

Posts: 131 | Location: East Coast,USA | Registered: 04 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Way to go Cabela's!!

Posts: 618 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, the perdicament we are in today with the anti gun culture is greatly our own fault. People from Australia told us years ago that we better wake up and make statements to our politicians with votes but instead we sat on our collective butts and said they will never take our guns! Cleaning our own house is not an option now, the media, the politions and the Brady bunch have joined hands and here we are talking big only to those who share our plight! Any congresman who voted for any gun grab bill should have found himself out of a job the next election, and there are still hunters and shooters who simply are too lazy to go and vote, and if they do vote only a straight Republican ticket. There are many republicans who are against guns.

That is my opinion and is worth just the price you paid for it!

.......................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Mac,

There may be some Republicans for gun control, but they are rare and enjoy their current employment, so I doubt they will vote against party lines. Shoot, even some Demon-crats are opposed to any gun bans. They got their collective asses handed to them in Clinton's first midterm election. They have not forgotten that.

Granted, that was a while ago in terms of time and culture. Much more anti-gun now. That not withstanding, congressional action is unlikely. What I fear is Obamas Executive Orders. Yes they will be challenged in the courts, but will there be time? Will "we" have the fortitude to tell him to shove his orders up his own bum?

Maybe our personal feeling is that,"yes, I will tell him to shove it". But what happens when they come for the law abiding citizens guns? By definition, We will be law abiding. We talk big now, but none of are prepared to go to prison to keep our guns.

Mac, you are right. Time to act was a while ago, but I suspect you are preaching to the choir here. Nothing we can do about the rest of the idiots who were too bind to see who they were voting for.

We should be very concerned about Obamas "new campaign" 5.4 million dollars left over from his election campaign, the campaign machine that he has said he is going to revive, go on the road and campaign for gun control measures. He is going to beat us to death with misinformation, fear and demonizing the right as "Gun toting extremists".

He will not take guns immediately. Nobody ever has. Baby steps. He's looking for a crack in the armor. Get a pry bar in there and before we know it, it's too late.

I hope it's not too late already.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
Maybe our personal feeling is that,"yes, I will tell him to shove it". But what happens when they come for the law abiding citizens guns? By definition, We will be law abiding. We talk big now, but none of are prepared to go to prison to keep our guns.

Wendell - My friend, I whole heartedly disagree with you on this! I for one, will stand against tyranny, against abuse of my Constitutional Rights, and against anyone who would try to rob me of my rights as a U.S. citizen. You're right, I won't be going to jail over my guns - and they won't get my guns willingly either. I would NEVER simply bow my head, and turn em in - NEVER!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
Thank you Cabelas,
I just sent a thank you by ordering a new pair of gloves.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2012 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Of course Cabelas have not had much of a display there anyway. About the size of a 2 car garage full of sale stuff that they could not get rid of in their store, merely dumping cheap stuff in the "show" frenzy.

And As I recall they have not had any firearms there at all.

Not much of a loss for Cabelas, since their store is a few miles down the road.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron,

Your post should become a pledge. I think Wendell and others would be surprized at how many feel exactly as you do. Let's all hope we don't have to prove it.

Posts: 63 | Location: Texas | Registered: 22 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
This is supposely the list of the companies that are pulling out.

Harrisburg Show

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gazi:
Aaron,

Your post should become a pledge. I think Wendell and others would be surprized at how many feel exactly as you do. Let's all hope we don't have to prove it.

Gazi - Lets hope you're right!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHowell:
Of course Cabelas have not had much of a display there anyway. About the size of a 2 car garage full of sale stuff that they could not get rid of in their store, merely dumping cheap stuff in the "show" frenzy.

And As I recall they have not had any firearms there at all.

Not much of a loss for Cabelas, since their store is a few miles down the road.

And then again, in a post about Cabela's supporting gun rights and the second amendment, some feel the real issue is the quality of Cabela's booth at the show.....maybe we are doomed!

Posts: 63 | Location: Texas | Registered: 22 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
This is the REAL reason that Cabela's and others are boycotting-to overcome some very apparent discrimination: Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
The show sponsors want no assault guns and no clips with more then a 7 shot capacity. So law abiding citizens take it on the chin again.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1292 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
And then again, in a post about Cabela's supporting gun rights and the second amendment, some feel the real issue is the quality of Cabela's booth at the show.....maybe we are doomed!

Thank you for that thoughtfully worded analysis, whoever you are.
Do you think that was really the point? Too subtle I guess.

Rant On.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Aaron,

Don't get me wrong, I feel the same as Aaron. I'm mad as hell over this and I am truly frightened for the future of our 2nd amendment freedom. But, that wasn't the point I was trying to make.

Aaron proved my point. He said he wouldn't go to prison over his guns. My point was only law abiding citizens will turn over their guns. (See my full post)

Aaron made a great statement, even though he got a bit off my point.

Talk is cheap. That was also my point. I made no reference to my personal feelings or inclinations about dying for our rights. I too hope it never comes down to it.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Can anyone please explain to me why they did this appart from a knee-jerk reaction to PC?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

There is no other reason. It is exactly as you state. A knee jerk PC reaction. That's it.