Find
Notify
Tools

The first Safari
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted
17 days from now I will do something that could never be repeated. I will start my first Safari. This trip has had quite the evolution in planning over the last two years.

I have read and learned a lot of information on here. I have asked questions and had them answered. I have enjoyed hunting reports and pictures representing the travels and experiences of others.

There is one thing that seems to be consistent in my reading here though. That is the fact there is only one first safari.

Mark Young has already told me I'm screwed. What he means is that he knows from our dealings over the last 18 months that this will most likely not be my last trip. I know it, he knows it, you all probably know it, and my wife knows it. My boss knows it too and that makes him happy because he figures I will have to keep working longer to feed the monkey.

Our, and I say our because my wife in all in on this one, trip will include a self tour of Namibia, a ranch hunt in Namibia, and 7 days with Johnny du Plooy in the Luangwa hunting Buffalo and other game.

Pretty good first trip I would say.

I want to thank those who offered advice and those that gave it without knowing.

Thanks to Harry Selby for thinking I had the perfect Safari rifle. That meant a lot.

Most of all, thanks to those who posted about the first Safari and how there is only one.

I will make the most of this "one"!!

Best regards
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Jim,

You are wrong!

You can make every safari just as much fun as your first.

The secret is not fall into the trap of thinking that you know it all. As some seem to feel after they have had a safari or two under their belts.

I have been hunting in Africa almost continuously since 1982, and my last safari last year was at least as much fun as my first one.

Leave any pre-conceived ideas at home.

Enjoy EVERYTHING. The highs as well as the lows.

A safari hunt is not a shopping trip to the super market.

It is an adventure to be remembered for the rest of your life.

I have had quite a few unfortunate incidents during my safaris, and as long as you keep your wits about you, you will come out in one piece, and few stories to tell your friends.

In fact, when we look at these incidents now, it brings back all those hard memories back, and puts everything else in a memorable perspective.

It really makes me scratch my head when someone complains that they had a puncture while on safari.

Or a car break down.

These things happen anywhere, it is just how you deal with it that makes a difference.

We had our truck break down 25 Km from our camp, just before sun down. Our Ph offered to walk back and get the other truck to take us back to camp.

We decided we would rather walk.

And we did.

Another unplanned for adventure, which we enjoyed.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68686 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Jim,

When things go wrong, as they surely will, just repeat the mantra "OIA - OIA - OIA"* and things will fall into proper perspective. Teach it to your wife as well.

Enjoy the experience, and heed Saeeds advice, and you will have a wonderful time. Any of us that have returned year after year to renew the dust of Africa on our shoes have more than a few stories of "OIA" and you will too.

*OIA = Only In Africa Big Grin

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim,
Good luck to you and your wife. I don't know much about your Namibia leg but when you get to the Valley you will be in good hands. I still think about it everyday.

When you see a tracker wearing kahki Hi-Top Converse, his name is Lameck Banda. Tell him I said Hi.

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it". Fred Bear

Posts: 444 | Location: WA. State | Registered: 06 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed Administrator Posted 17 August 2010 10:43 Hide Post Jim, You are wrong! You can make every safari just as much fun as your first. The secret is not fall into the trap of thinking that you know it all. As some seem to feel after they have had a safari or two under their belts. I have been hunting in Africa almost continuously since 1982, and my last safari last year was at least as much fun as my first one. Leave any pre-conceived ideas at home. Enjoy EVERYTHING. The highs as well as the lows. A safari hunt is not a shopping trip to the super market. It is an adventure to be remembered for the rest of your life. I have had quite a few unfortunate incidents during my safaris, and as long as you keep your wits about you, you will come out in one piece, and few stories to tell your friends. In fact, when we look at these incidents now, it brings back all those hard memories back, and puts everything else in a memorable perspective. It really makes me scratch my head when someone complains that they had a puncture while on safari. Or a car break down. These things happen anywhere, it is just how you deal with it that makes a difference. We had our truck break down 25 Km from our camp, just before sun down. Our Ph offered to walk back and get the other truck to take us back to camp. We decided we would rather walk. And we did. Another unplanned for adventure, which we enjoyed.

Saeed, I too am planning my first for next year. That is wonderful advice and I will make sure I keep it in mind!

Regards

Saeed Ansari

One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
Very true. Having been going there for 15 years the experience just keeps getting better.

Jim, what rifle are you taking that elicited the HS appro?

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
It is interesting that we choose to have an incurable disease. Below is a link to a post about a safari I took last year which, I believe, made me count future ones on something other than my fingers and toes. Eeker

Since that little epistle and trip to Deka, I've hunted Chirisa and am now anticipating leaving for Chete in 20 days, or so.

Anticipation!

It just gets better:

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
only one thing I could add to Saeed's advice to you and it's something I learned a lone time ago about Africa. LEAVE YOUR WATCH AT HOME. Africa does everything on it's own time. enjoy every min. of it and take more pictures than you think you will ever need. we took 1240 on my hunt this year and I treasure everyone of them. some of the best times I had was when we where not hunting and I did not worry about hunting every min. of every day. we spent time distributing meat to the local villages and that was as much fun as hunting in it's own way. and you really get to see what Africa is really like( more cultural involvement)
PS pack light you won't need half the crap you see that guys take. if your hunting with a good outfitter you don't need much more than your meds. if you take any and your clothes a rifle ammo binos. you don't need duct tape, wire ties, etc. etc. etc.

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
saeed really hit the nail on the head. only thing i could add is to soak it all in. via con dios

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
The first is just the beginning. For me, safaris have gotten better and better since the first. That said, you'll enjoy the first plenty and you will be back for more.

Good luck.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How fun for you guys!

I have made two, and said the first one might be my only one. I was home six weeks and started planning the second. I am planning the third as we chat here.

You go, suck in the sights and sounds and smells, and that taste Africa has. Take deep breaths, and hold it in.

You are in Africa, and every day is an adventure unto itself.

regards,

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed and the others are on the money. Leave all the preconcieved ideas at home, forget your watch, just go with the flow. If you have to have complete understanding of why things there are done certain ways, which may make no sense to you,, it will be torture to you. Africa is Africa! Take in the sounds, sights and smells, it is an addictive drug of which there is no cure,,, only treatment,, and the treatment is more trips to Africa. My only mistake in hunting Africa is not to have started the "addiction" sooner!

On my first trip back I was thinking to myself on how much the taxidermy work was going to cost, how I was going to pay for the "10 mounts", I figured since it was going to be my one and only trip to Africa I should shoot a bunch and mount everything. Pretty stupid thinking on my part, fortunately it is a long flight back so by the time I landed i was already planning when and where the next safari will be.You will feel the need to repeat the process yearly. And yes, deposits are paid again for next summer for Namibia, where in Africa in 2012, not sure yet, but somewhere.

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
one other thing most if not all Ph's and trackers love to show you and teach what there doing and why if you will ask questions. It's really fun to learn all the names of plants and flowers as well as the birds. write stuff down a diary is a great help once your home.BE CAREFUL of information from Walter I think his joke could hurt you animal animaljust teasing Walter hilbily

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

The secret is not fall into the trap of thinking that you know it all. As some seem to feel after they have had a safari or two under their belts.

This seems to be a problem around here...

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2 tu2 tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good Luck. Have a wonderful adventure. Take what Africa offers and enjoy the experience fully.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Milo Shanghai:
Very true. Having been going there for 15 years the experience just keeps getting better.

Copied from another thread

Originally posted by Harry Selby:

In my opinion you have not only an exceptionally beautiful rifle there but an entirely practical one as well. In my fifty five years of professional hunting my respect for the .375 H&H cartridge has increased each time I saw it used. In my opinion the greatest cartridge ever developed. I would prefer to see a visiting hunter arrive for his safari with such a rifle than with a double of any caliber. Good luck on your hunt.

Harry Selby.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okdzlGFsDkQ

better pics of rifle

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Second ddrhook's motion. Spend a few bucks on a nice, leatherbound journal. You need not make daily entries, but I assure you it will be treasured in years to follow.

Bon voyage!

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
The secret is not fall into the trap of thinking that you know it all.

But Walter clearly knows it all - and he still manages to have fun, doesn't he? Cool Big Grin

Seriously, though, Saeed's advice is good, as usual. tu2

You need to relax, be open to the experience, and roll with whatever comes your way - and nine times out of ten, what comes your way will be a great time.

We have had as much fun with our misadventures as we have with our adventures.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
quote:
The secret is not fall into the trap of thinking that you know it all.

But Walter clearly knows it all - and he still manages to have fun, doesn't he? Cool Big Grin

Seriously, though, Saeed's advice is good, as usual. tu2

You need to relax, be open to the experience, and roll with whatever comes your way - and nine times out of ten, what comes your way will be a great time.

We have had as much fun with our misadventures as we have with our adventures.

Walter is not part of the human race!

He is a visitor from another planet!

He is so bloody slow to get out of trhe truck when he supposed to jump out to shoot anything, that I we have decided to give him all the help he needs - short of shooting his animals!

As we see something for him to shoot, I take my rifle and jump out of the truck, chamber a round and hand him the rifle.

Last year we saw 2 warthogs walking in the bush. He wanted to shoot one.

Alan "Come on Walter, get off the truck and shoot a warthog"

Walter gets out of the truck, and follows Alan and Roy. I stayed in the truck.

About a 100 yards from us, Alan puts the shooting sticks up, sticks his fingers in his ears, and says "shoot the one on the left"!
Walter was standing there twiggling his fingers and looking at the two warthogs.

As no shot came, Alan looks at Walter, and sees him standing there with no rifle!

"Where is your rifle?"
Walter "As usual, my useless gun bearer did not bring it to me"

They walked back to the truck in silence, Alan and Roy shaking their heads. I was laughing so much I had to keep from falling off the truck!

That is Walter for you.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68686 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo and to think Steve thought I was a challenge to hunt with rotflmo rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
animal

Ah, but Saeed, if you let him bring that Blaser contraption, he would HAVE to carry his own rifle-- because you would never touch such a thing!!!

Maybe it would be good to let him bring it!

Posts: 10995 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:
Originally posted by Milo Shanghai:

Copied from another thread

Originally posted by Harry Selby:

In my opinion you have not only an exceptionally beautiful rifle there but an entirely practical one as well. In my fifty five years of professional hunting my respect for the .375 H&H cartridge has increased each time I saw it used. In my opinion the greatest cartridge ever developed. I would prefer to see a visiting hunter arrive for his safari with such a rifle than with a double of any caliber. Good luck on your hunt.

Harry Selby.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okdzlGFsDkQ

better pics of rifle

Thanks, Jim.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote