Find
Notify
Tools

Photos from Zim Proficiency Exam
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
Ken Stewart can make everything one wants and some other stuff also.

He is curently working with getting the old forgotten .575 Miller & Greiss back to life...

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ALF- Boy that sure clears things up for me!!!

I think that I would be inclined to listen to someone that has actual field experience. Do you think field experience is a viable factor to include in your equations?

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
Alf,

How do you explain my TCCI-RN not turning over on three shots into live elephant (two head, one rear to front body).

Or the 450 grain NF-FN after penetrating 120 + inches of water?

Back to the real world,

My PH Myles McCallum did not care for Barnes solids as they frequently bent.

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
500 gr:

Do you believe or give proof that the mechanics of projectile progression in air is equal to that in dense media?

If so you that belief is in direct opposition to accepted and published ballitistics science?

Alf, I have posted repeatedly that keeping a bullet stable in flesh, esp. heavy bone, is more difficult than keeping it stable in air. That is why I told jeffe on another thread that his 1X18 twist for the 470 AR was fine for paper targets, but far less than optimal for hunting big game.

It is frustrating that you seem to understand just the opposite of what I write. In the interest of betterment of mankind, if you can find a reading comprehension course local to you, I will pay the tuition if you promise to attend. Big Grin

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ganyana:
The bull, turned, and immediately charged. The guide fluffed the frontal brain shot, and the LPH backed him up with a frontal chest shot- at 6m. Bull changed from a mock charge to a real one and there was a frantic chase round a baobab until the appy PH managed a frontal brain shot.

With stories like this, you will make an excellent grandpa!

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Excellent photos ,and the ballistic discussion is really intersting ,i m not only a guide but i was a military surgeon ,so i like this very much.I would like to know all the tests required too be a ph in Zimbawe ,because ill try to transmit this here.I would like to know if there is a school in SA,Namibia or Zimbawe where foreigners can make guide course.Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6369 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
i would like to know that aswell, i tried that before, but ijust have to nag until someone has got enough and let me thru a PH course!! I can just be at the shooting training ,if that is alright for the guys.

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ganyana,
What's the story with the Action Express? One of the PH's using it on Buff?

Posts: 177 | Location: The Arkansas Line | Registered: 15 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trisan Peacock's main humor is leopard hunting with dogs, so he generally carries a handgun but not a rifle as he has his hands full with looking after his hounds. He carries a .50 AE loaded with 300grn hollowpoints for leopard and wanted to try his pet cannon on a buff- had some 350grn SP rounds. Examiner told him to go ahead. Fired one from square on -bullet missed spine and stopped in the gut somewhere and the one recovered which passed just behind the shoulder.

Penetration on buff was adequate though not spectacular. Certainly enough to dig you out of a tight corner or if you are a keen handgun hunter. NB His pistol is the short barreled edition (5" ?).

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The thing that causes solid bullets to deform, abruptly change direction and bend or break in animals is hitting bone.

Flesh doesn't have much effect on solids of any nose shape.

Bullets travelling through flesh have little stopping power. The muscle absorbs the energy.

Bullets hitting skull bones can have a significant effect. The concentration of energy on one point can sometimes knock even a big animal out.

Posts: 1116 | Location: asted@freenet.de | Registered: 14 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Juan and Mr Rigby

Shooting exam is given in the Africa Information forum (one below shot size topic) has all diagrams.

Basic procedure

1) Write learners theory exam. 4 x 3hr papers on a) Law; b) Habbits and Habitats; c) firearms; d) General paper

2) Be apprenticed to a PH for a minimum of two years

3) Pass the Mars Advanced (or equivalent) First aid cource. We are fighting with MARS as they will no longer teach drips and Dangerous drugs courses. (need drugs license to hold morphine/ Pithedine etc)

4) Pass Shooting exam

5) Shoot a minimum of 5 head of dangerous game (lion, Ele and Buff)- and not all of one! Accompany sufficient hunts to know your trade!

Once you have completed 1-5 you come to an "interview" where a pannel of parks and industry asses weather you have sufficient experience to do reasonably well on the final proficiency. If yes...

Proceed to week long proficiency exam in the Zambezi Valley. In addition to setting up camp and hosting an examiner, each candidate will be required to skin, track, set up a hunt (too many guys used to rely on their staff to do the skinning and the actual hunting). He will be questioned on birds trees geology, termites or anything else the examiner knows about- A PH is also alowed to conduct eco- tourists on walks so he had better know more than the five "hunters trees" - (a Shade tree; a Bait tree; a Thorn tree; a Firewood tree and an Escape tree).

Each candidate will have to shoot either an elephant or Buffalo or occasionally may be detailed to bait and shoot a hyaena. (all candidates will be examined on baiting but usually only where the candidate has plenty of ele and buff experience but is short of cat will he have to set up and shoot a hyaena. Often I get candidates to bait leopard or lion for photography purposes instead)

At the end of all of that, if the joint examinations committee (parks & ZPHGA) are satisfied, you come out with a PH license

We do run a week long "finishing school" at rifa before the final proficiency. This is open to visitors.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Flesh doesn't have much effect on solids of any nose shape

That is not entirely correct.

I have seen an elephant being shot - with a 460 Weatherby, Hornady 500 grain FMJ - in teh trunk facing us. The bullet turned 90 degrees and came out of teh side of the trunk, never making to the body of the elephant.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67469 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's true. Trunks are quite tough but for the most part flesh is not much of a problem. Hard bone is - even rib bones.

Hit somebody in the stomach and it just gets absorbed. Hit them in the jaw bone and its a knockout.

Posts: 1116 | Location: asted@freenet.de | Registered: 14 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
The Weatherby has a 1-16 inch twist.

I'm sure the shooter was glad his rifle was so accurate.

Cool

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Ganyana thank you for the details ill send you one more question in the final week can a visitor take the clasees can the visitor pass the shooting tests .Saeed at what velocity was loaded the 460wby ,because i listen that this happened too to my friend Cholo Boero who has several elephant records in rowland ward ,and he asked me the reason i suspected that perhaps too much velocity was responsible of this .Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

Posts: 6369 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have some video of Tristian hunting leopard with a fellow using a bow and arrows --- the dogs had the very large leopard leopard surrounded on some knee high grass and it took some time before the fellow with the bow had a clean shot.....range about 20 yards.

Up until the time the arrow passed thru the leopard he was either unaware or unconcerned about anything or one except the dogs.

Two things happened very quickly --- the leoaprd turned and came and Tristan stepped in front of the archer and stopped the charge with a single shot from his 9.3x74R double rifle.

Hunting leopard with sticks would seem to be a very risky task.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Juan and Mr Rigby

Shooting exam is given in the Africa Information forum (one below shot size topic) has all diagrams.

Basic procedure

1) Write learners theory exam. 4 x 3hr papers on a) Law; b) Habbits and Habitats; c) firearms; d) General paper

2) Be apprenticed to a PH for a minimum of two years

3) Pass the Mars Advanced (or equivalent) First aid cource. We are fighting with MARS as they will no longer teach drips and Dangerous drugs courses. (need drugs license to hold morphine/ Pithedine etc)

4) Pass Shooting exam

5) Shoot a minimum of 5 head of dangerous game (lion, Ele and Buff)- and not all of one! Accompany sufficient hunts to know your trade!

Once you have completed 1-5 you come to an "interview" where a pannel of parks and industry asses weather you have sufficient experience to do reasonably well on the final proficiency. If yes...

Proceed to week long proficiency exam in the Zambezi Valley. In addition to setting up camp and hosting an examiner, each candidate will be required to skin, track, set up a hunt (too many guys used to rely on their staff to do the skinning and the actual hunting). He will be questioned on birds trees geology, termites or anything else the examiner knows about- A PH is also alowed to conduct eco- tourists on walks so he had better know more than the five "hunters trees" - (a Shade tree; a Bait tree; a Thorn tree; a Firewood tree and an Escape tree).

Each candidate will have to shoot either an elephant or Buffalo or occasionally may be detailed to bait and shoot a hyaena. (all candidates will be examined on baiting but usually only where the candidate has plenty of ele and buff experience but is short of cat will he have to set up and shoot a hyaena. Often I get candidates to bait leopard or lion for photography purposes instead)

At the end of all of that, if the joint examinations committee (parks & ZPHGA) are satisfied, you come out with a PH license

We do run a week long "finishing school" at rifa before the final proficiency. This is open to visitors.

Ganyana,

I remember reading a book about how Capstick got his PH license - I will try to dig that book out and give you the details. But, I think it was mentioned he got his in a month or less!!??

This was supposed to be in the 70's.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67469 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter never hunted professionally in Zimbabwe (Rhodesia) He served mainly as a "brightlights" Ie a mercenary "farmsitting" for when farmers in danerous ares wanted a break from the war but needed somebody on their farms just to be a presence in their absence.

The process for getting a license has certtainly evolved from the days when an aspirant PH went out with Brian Marsh, Ian Henderson, Robbie Robertson or Peter Johnstone and if they could convince them they knew their trade , they got a license.

One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
Well this proves it, without good bullets, the ammo is worthless!!

But the Stewart bullet ,is that with a steel jakcket like the old hornady or how isit designed?

But they have taken advice from the guys in the field to get proper bullets and to use good components to make the ammo.

Hopefully Hornady will think the same line and stuff their ammo with other bullets of a decent manufacture.

I thought about getting some hornady interbond ammo for the .450 NE ruger nr 1 i have, but i dont think so. ill go for Swift, and more Woodleighs. the animal deserve it that i use good bullets that hold up .

And there might be a .458 Norma oryx in the future and that will be a fine one to use on hunting here and there.

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Ganyana i will try to recommend a similar exam in my country where until now is required to have some shooting competition awards,or military service ,and a basic training in hunting and shooting ,and game and gun laws .On the other matter i too read that PHC worked in some farm and was in some combat so was Jack Lott.Juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:

I believe I know where the .416 blue Barnes came from, and if I am correct the load was as follows:

416 Rigby
102.0 grains H4831 (regular cut)
F215 primer
about 2420 fps

As to the question of why it would tumble, there is a two part answer. First, the bullet is made from brass which is not very dense and hence very long. Unless a faster than normal twist is used in the barrel, then such a bullet will be less stable than a lead core bullet due to excessive yaw caused by length. The solution is to step down 10% in bullet weight if using brass bullets, or to use a faster twist barrel. the second issue is nose shape. The Barnes blue bullets had a hemispherical nose which seems to have a negative influence on both penetration and bullet stability.

I have always undertood this to be true. Sometimes the relation between density, weight, and bullet length is lost in the discussion.

Since the diameter of any given caliber bullet is always the same, the weight or the density of the bullet is going to determin its length. A heavier bullet will be longer. A bullet made of a less dense material will be longer. A 500 grain brass projectile is longer that a 500 grain lead projectile. A 500 grain bullet is longer than a 400 grain bullet when made of the same material.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bell tried the 6,5 but found that the 160grn bullets lacked integral strength (ie were too long for diamiter) and bent- so he soon gave up on that plan. Looking at the last two proficiency exams I feel (but do not have sufficient data) that the Barnes 450grn .458 bullets penetrate better than the 500grn ones - I have not seen a distorted 450grn bullet yet (but almost all have exited)

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bell tried the 6,5 but found that the 160grn bullets lacked integral strength (ie were too long for diamiter) and bent- so he soon gave up on that plan. Looking at the last two proficiency exams I feel (but do not have sufficient data) that the Barnes 450grn .458 bullets penetrate better than the 500grn ones - I have not seen a distorted 450grn bullet yet (but almost all have exited)

Ganyana,

Are you talking about mono bullets? If so, I am surprised that there are so many relatively new Barnes bullets showing up at the Zim appy exam.

Even if I concede that flat point bullets penetrate better than round nose bullets, possibly because of less deflection, why does not Hornady and Woodleigh and every other bullet manufacturer not just make flat point steel jacketed solids?

It doesn't take that much doing to have solids zing through most anuthing except for elephants. So I wonder what is the point of having these mono solids zing through everything, including elephants, and wind up loosing some of the energy that would otherwise be used to kill or disable the animal?

Is it better for a 458 bullet at the typical 2150 fps (5100 ft-lbs) to have reasonable penetration and hopefully knock down an elephant on a missed brain shot or have the mono go zinging through the elephant to wind up in Mozambique?

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19334 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will

I use woodleighs exclusivly in my 9,3 but confess I have just recieved some of the new Stewart flat points to try.

The only .458 Lott ammo available in Harare is reloads and the loader uses only Barnes so there is a fair ammount of it arround.