New
Find
Notify
Tools

Longest Plains Game Shot
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My longest African shot was on a gemsbuck, which was the 4th animal on the first morning of my first hunt. I had the range at 300 yards, a reasonably accurate .375 and a steady sitting position. The PH had doubts, but it all worked out.
The vast majority of my African shots have been under 100 yards, with many under 100 feet. Hunting with a rifle at bow range is as foreign to me, as the idea of 300 yards being a very short shot might be others.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On my first trip to the Eastern Cape in 2007, I took, in this order, a Kudu at 302 yards, another Kudu at 70 yards, a Black Wildebeast at 225 yards, a Springbok at 325 yards, a Blue wildebeast at 312 yards, a Gemsbok at 196 yards, and an Impala at 229 yards. All distances were measured with a Leica CRF 1200 laser rangefinder before the shot.

In 2008, I tooka Blesbok at 103 yards, an Impala at 70 yards, a Zebra at 96 yards, Steenbok at 49 yards, and a Springbok at 526 yards. Again, distances were all measured with the Leica CRF 1200 before the shot.

The rifle is a 45-110 Sharps shooting a 511 grain paper patched bullet lead bullet and using the barrel buckhorn iron sights and a copper blade front.

I have all the shots from the 2007 trip on DVD. Unfortunately, I do not have the 526 yard shot on the Springbok in 2008 on DVD, but I do have the PH who ran the rangefinder on DVD talking about the shot. He said that is the longest shot they have ever let anyone take in 11 years and the farthest anyone has ever taken an animal with them.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Sharpsguy:

Impressive shooting.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
My longest first shots on African PG is around 250 yards. Have taken a klipspringer and a vaal rhebok on such distances.
When in EC i 2006 I took several shots in the 200-230 yard range.
In Limpopo and Namibia my average is much lower. Around 100-150 I guess..

I have taken a couple of follow up shots at much longer distance. Close to 450 yards. But my shooting at such distances is not good..

I think that if you prepare for shots up to 250 you'll be fine in 90 % of the time.. Smiler

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My longest shot was about 200m on a kudu. I was on the top of a koppie and he was in a opening in the mopane bush.

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2092 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sharpsguy: I think I PM'd you once before. That is downright awesome shooting. I'd like to tryout that gun of yours, if we ever cross paths near a shooting range. Does it kick much?

I've enjoyed reading this post, because as I said once before on a similar thread, I thought I was the only guy that took shots regularly beyond 200 yards at PG.

I got nasty emails from people throughout the hunting world when I released a video of a 475-yard warthog kill shot, so it's warming to read stories of other guys who shoot long distance.

I was gonna mention some of my other ones for the topic starter Chris, like the 1002 yard shot I made on a baboon once, but suffice it to say to you Sharpsguy---it would be like holding a switchblade next to a panga. Awesome shooting dude and to everyone else who has posted.

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
237 yds on the Blue Wildebeest. He was giving me the classic wildebeest head on stare. Held a bit under the chin and pulled the trigger. DRT, never took another step.

Sharpsguy- Awesome hunting with a classic rifle.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 782 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know the thread was started by a member trying to decide on which rifle to buy/build for his trip, not as a p*ssing contest to see who could shoot a buck at the longest range... I have always been under the impression that one's hunting skill was measured by how close the beast was taken rather than how far. Long range sniping at game increases the risk of a wounded animal. Just compare the groups of your mates at 100 meters and 300 meters when you go to the range next time. I want a story of how the trophy was set on fire by the muzzle blast, not how lead was lobbed into the next county on a wing and a prayer!
JCHB

Posts: 423 | Location: KZN province South Africa | Registered: 24 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JCHB:
I know the thread was started by a member trying to decide on which rifle to buy/build for his trip, not as a p*ssing contest to see who could shoot a buck at the longest range... I have always been under the impression that one's hunting skill was measured by how close the beast was taken rather than how far. Long range sniping at game increases the risk of a wounded animal. Just compare the groups of your mates at 100 meters and 300 meters when you go to the range next time. I want a story of how the trophy was set on fire by the muzzle blast, not how lead was lobbed into the next county on a wing and a prayer!
JCHB

Is this close enough for ya???

Got to quit using those overbore magnums for plains game. Notice the burned vegetation all around.

Seriously all my African shots have been around 100yards or less except the nyassa wildebeest which was over 300 with the venerable H&H.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
My longest shot in Africa thus far from my 2004 safari in KZN. Longest shot of the trip was about 75 yards on an impala taken head on staring at us. Other animals taken were 10-12 yards warthog, 50 yards blue wildebeest, 35-40 yards nyala, and about 30 yards warthog. I'll be in the Eastern Cape in August and planning on shots in the 200-350 range.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JCHB:
JCHB

Are we going to have the ugly head of "ethics" rear its head again?

Some of us only manage to go hunting about once a year, and at least for me, I like to make that as successful as I can.

I don't really like long shots, but if there is no other way, I have taken animals at over 500 yards.

I have had people telling me off for shooting a buffalo at 340 yards. But, again, there was no way we could have gotten any closer to them.

If one has the right rifle, and he is confident enough, it is no ones business to tell him what he should or should not do.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68693 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
If one has the right rifle, and he is confident enough, it is no ones business to tell him what he should or should not do.

Exactly!

I'm a bowhunter as well as hunting with firearms. I totally enjoy and look forward to getting within bow range of my quarry.

But I also realize that sometimes it just isn't possible. When you're belly crawling across a plain that has as much cover as the average pool table, mixed with a couple termite mounds, sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

And for me, if that means I have to take a longer than normal shot, I'll do it.

I practice enough to be confident of my shot placement out to about 500 yards. I haven't been able to shoot further than that because I don't have access to a practice range beyond 500!

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sharpsguy. Is that you, Quigley?

114-R10David

Posts: 1753 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saaed said it correctly. There are times you can't get closer.

The question wasn't about how much of your game was shot at long range. It was about your longest shots.

I have taken hundreds of heads of game in Africa. There have been a few shots at extreme distance. These shots were taken because we could not get any closer for one reason or another. However, the vast majority have been under 100 yards.

I don't understand the criticism of the long shots when these people weren't there.

Marc:

What rifle did you shoot the baboon with?

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
My longest was on a black springbuck; don't know how far but I was on top of one hill and he was on top of the next. The ground between was about as much cover as a golf course.

I held a foot high and a foot into the wind with a .300 Wby and he dropped right there.

Shortest was about 6 yards on a waterbuck, standing on the roof of the truck to shoot over the reeds.

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1582 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I want to thank everyone for the compliments, and I especially want to thank Saeed for putting it into perspective.

For those that think I am just throwing lead out there and sniping and seeing where the bullet ends up, I will offer this advice: Don't judge what someone else can do based on your own substandard expectations.

If you will notice, the shots on the first safari were longer than the shots on the second. There are a couple of reasons for this. One is that the purpose of the first trip was to do the DVD. Another is that the airlines lost my rifle for the first 3 days of a 10 day safari, and by the time I got the rifle, I didn't have time to fool around. We found that it was far easier to take the animals as soon as I was in my shooting comfort zone rather than trying to get inside 100 yards with a camera, crew, and the rest of the things that are required for a professional DVD.

Besides, the DVD was about documenting the performance and accuracy of a Sharps buffalo rifle from the early American west--a rifle that earned its reputation by working at 300 to 800 yards with iron sights and farther on American bison.

I don't necessarily think it is about seeing how close you can get, unless of course you are bowhunting or simply WANT to try to put powder burns on the animal's cape. Rather, I think it is about getting close enough that you are comfortable with the sight picture and confident you can make the shot. I don't shoot to wound the animal, I don't shoot to hit the animal. I shoot with every intention of KILLING the animal, and the Sharps generally delivers a one shot kill. Of the 13 animals I have taken in Africa, only two went farther than 100 yards, and one went 70. The rest were DRT or found within 20 yards. I have never lost an animal in 25 years of hunting with a Sharps.

Sable Trail, you are certainly welcome to stop in and shoot the rifle. If anyone else is in northeast Texas near the town of Marshall, the invitation stands for you as well. There is a method and system for shooting one of these rifles, and I have a private 500 yard range at my house, and I use it--a lot. You are welcome to try it out.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
Many longest shots are 100 yards further than the shot actually was. Big Grin

But longest for most shooters, without a rest is probably 200 yards, if they practice a little. For much longer, make sure you have a rest or sticks. ....

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2597 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
280 yards on a springbuck was the longest I have taken, missed a baboon the PH wanted shot at quite a bit longer range and not enough time for a rangefinder reading.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Although I don't like to readily admit it, my longest shot on African plains game has been 430 yards. (DRT) Shortest on plains game has been 60 yards. I do not particularly like long shots for a number of reasons, although I can make them, and usually drop the animal right there. I prefer to get as up close and as as personal as possible, both for my sake and for that of the animal. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My longest shot in Africa was at a Kafue lechwe at Lochinvar, Zambia, 1984. That was pre-laser rangefinder, so I don't have a clue how far, but I guess 450-ish. Shooting a .375 H&H with 300-grain Sierras at (chronographed) 2600 fps. Held high on the first shot, splashed mud under his feet. Held a good deal higher and got him with the next shot. In those days you could shoot a decent lechwe blindfolded, but that was an exceptional bull, we wanted him, and he was moving off into mud flats where we couldn't follow. Made another long shot on a hartebeest in Kenya, probably showing off, but in my experience that kinda stuff is really rare in Africa. The best long shot I ever made in Africa was on my first Vaal rhebok. I think 1986, again pre-rangefinder, so no idea the distance. It was my only chance, so I held a body height above him with a .338. At the shot he dashed off the rock and my PH said, "You shot over him." For some unknown reason I thought I'd held correctly and I said, "No, through him." I was right--but that was a long time ago, before I knew to keep my mouth shut. As everyone else has said, most shots in Africa are within 200 yards--in the last 20 years I can recall only a handful of shots over 300 yards. There is no limit to how far you can shoot in open areas like the Karoo, Kalahari, Danakil, Serengeti, etc.--but you usually don't have to. Most PHs go into seizures at the thought of long shots because they've seen so much bad shooting by guys like me (and you). For me the biggest issue is getting steady enough, and few African areas offer the luxury of rocks and trees to rest over, or shooting prone. Over sticks, well, 200 yards is a long shot--and that approaches the maximum most hunters will be faced with. Practice off the sticks a lot, learn to get steady fast and get your shots off quickly, and you'll do just fine.
Primary rule, which I haven't always followed (to my regret): If you aren't steady and certain, don't shoot! Cheers, Craig

Posts: 265 | Location: central california | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Craig:
Knowing you are a busy guy, I truly appreciate you taking the time to weigh in. Thanks.
Tom

114-R10David

Posts: 1753 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Saeed:
"If one has the right rifle, and he is confident enough, it is no ones business to tell him what he should or should not do."

No argument with that Saeed, but my point is that your buff taken within spitting distance is more noteworthy than the one shot at 340 yards.
Boddington, your comments at the end of your post are good advice.
Blacktailer,oh boy, That thing must have mean muzzle flash!! Hog must have died of fright!!
JCHB

Posts: 423 | Location: KZN province South Africa | Registered: 24 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot a Warthog last year at a lasered 365 meters - around 405 yards. Also shot a bushbok a 330 meters / 370 yards and a goose at 400 for the pot (trackers)... Not a chance to get closer for these animals..

Posts: 873 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ANDREW RENTON
posted Hide Post
Thanks to Craig for chiming in and for saeed putting it into perspective.
As a ph in the eastern cape we try to get as close as possible but we are often faced with that situation of a 300 -450 yard shot on a exeptional trophy kudu or bushbuck,that you simply cant get any closer,its worth a try anyway ,if you miss bad luck but if you hit its absolute extasy!!!!
I have been introduced to a group of hunters using the latest in 300 ultras,wow , what a noise but shit they have got the legs to take some wonderful shots ,i dont even go that far on holiday!!!!!
That old addige,practice makes perfect,if you practice at plates ect out to 300,350,400,450, 500 -900 yards and get your cheat sheet correct it makes some fantastic fun,eastern cape has these opertunities all the time.
Good hunting ,Andrew
Andrew Renton
KEI RIVER HUNTING SAFARIS,
P.O. Box 24, KOMGA, 4950 Eastern Cape
Tel & Fax:027 43 8312024,Mobile 027826514005
Email: rentons@mweb.co.za,
Website- www.keiriverhuntingsafaris.co.za
REGISTATION NUMBER-2007/232333/23
OUTFITTER LICENCE NUMBERS- HC 29/2010 EC
PROFESSIONAL HUNTER LICENCES
EASTERN CAPE- PH 40 /2007 EC,
FREE STATE LICENCE - FS 206 /528,
MPUMILANGA LICENCE -MPB /HO/0275,
NATAL LICENCE KZN 1831/2005

Posts: 51 | Location: eastern cape,south africa | Registered: 17 October 2007Reply With Quote