THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Re: How many people can afford this???
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: How many people can afford this???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Zambia aint cheap either! They are going down the same path as Tanzania, with respect to minimum days for certain species. Anyone know whether this is just a negotiating position, or are these 14 and 21 day minimums legally mandated? I have also heard that there are some scam artists in Zambia offering less expensive hunts, and not being able to deliver the promised animals.

Why anyone would pay these prices when you can have a fantastic hunt in Namibia, SA, or Zimbabwe (even Botswana if you stick with Plains Game) for very little money is beyond me. Zimbabwe is the bargain destination for DG but it's also the least stable, most screwed up destination. However, you can still have a good hunt if you do it with the right guys. Charter in and out, avoid the public highways, and save yourself a bundle.

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, one reason that Zimbabwe, Namibia, or Botswana don't cut it for everyone is that they don't have things like Lesser Kudu, Gerenuk, niether Grants nor Thompson's Gazelles, no Sitatonga, and while one might find a Lechwe in Botswana, the options for them are very limited. You aren't going to get Roan in those countries, either. They are fine, great countries to hunt, for sure, but the game options are fairly limited. Few guys would seriously consider Tanzania (at Tanzania prices) if what they wanted were Southern Kudu, Sable, Southern Impala, Warthog,Klipspringer, Zebra, Gemsbok, Bushbuck, Waterbuck, or Eland--even Cape Buff for that matter. Those aren't the draw to Tanzania. Even Leopard and Lion can be hunted cheaper elsewhere. But not those animals (and some others) listed above. You either go to Tanzania (or in some cases Ethiopia, no cheaper) or you don't have them. The real bummer is the required 21 day hunt.

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Russ,
From the 2003 Zambia Wildlife Authority,Safari Hunting in Zambia 2003,
Classical or deluxe safaris are full bag hunts and may include the highly valued trophies of lion,leopard,roan and sable and the hunter may purchase licenses for as many species as are on the quota for a given hunting area and period.

While a mini safari limits the hunter to no more than seven animals of different species in a given hunting area but excludes him from hunting roan,sable,lion and leopard.

Kathi

kathi@wldtravel.com

Posts: 9383 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From what I have seen from attending SCI's convention and DSC's convention, there are a lot of people in the big game hunting community for which money is no object whatsoever. So far, I have found that Zimbabwe has the best bang for the bucks and I have taken three of the big four there at probably half of what it would have cost me in Tanzania, although I did talk to quite a few outfitters there. The trophy fees are not so bad, but the daily rates on dangerous game, and all of the little extras sure do add up. I find that after the hunt there are about half again the expense of the safari in shipping and clearing of trophies and taxidermy bills, and no small part of the cost-a trophy room to hold it all. However, as someone else mentioned, I still think it is cheaper to be an international hunter than it is to hunt here in the good old USA, and do it right with the same level of comfort as you experience in Africa or most other countries that I have hunted in. Just check the rates on sheep hunts in North America.

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can put you onto Roan and Sable in Namibia but you will pay quite a bit more for these species than the more common ones. Trophy fees that is. The daily rate is the same no matter what you are hunting.

Agreed, some of the exotic species are just not available in the countries that are reasonably priced. But hey, there are PLENTY of species available to hunt, and very fine hunting to be had. If one HAS to have the species that are only found in Zambia and Tanzania, then go ahead, scratch your itch, and pay the premium.

What's really behind the higher prices is simply a government monopoly. Most of the hunting is done on govt concessions and they get to call the shots. eg if you want to hunt lion, you have to buy a 21 day licence. And we are only going to allow x Lions to be taken this year. Here's the price, if you don't like it, move out of the way, there's someone behind you that will pay.

I don't think they can force you to stay for the full 21. That's where the Operators come in, as willing partners. They charge you for 21 whether you stay or not. And in reality, hunts for these species are, on average, longer hunts anyway, and the setup costs are higher, so the PH is not complaining about the 21 day rule.

There are some private ranches in Zambia, but I'm not sure what rules they play by. Possibly more like the "free market" system in SA, Namibia and Zim.

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Agreed! The gov't in Tanzania has a lot to do with the high cost of poker. Botswana is similar. I don't begrudge the PH's for making a living at all, and their expenses are high in Tanzania--again partly due to the gov't.

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got back last night from a month in Ethiopia with our outfit. I won't go into details about the trip but would for this thread just like to point out that one can take both Lesser kudu and S. Gerrenuk plus tiang, N. Grants Gazelle, Guenther's dikdik and some other species on a 15 day Safari in our Omo Valley (Murulle) COncession in SW Ethiopia. Daily rates are a bit more reasonable than Tanz. There is an air charter and a few add ons (like a VAT and Daily concession fee) but overall for someone just wanting the East African plains game it's a good deal. BTW, We took and new SCI record #1 Lesser Kudu (36 and 2/8's") while I was there. I was with the client. He was very pleased to say the least!

He had 2 other species in the top five as well. Nice safari!

Rich Elliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich,

Glad to see that your back. Hope you had a good trip.

Mike

Posts: 1853 | Location: Prairieville,Louisiana, USA | Registered: 09 October 2001Reply With Quote