Find
Notify
Tools

Questions about lions and buff
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RAC
posted
I have never hunted Cape Buffalo but have read the stories about their ability to take multiple hits from DG rifles and keep still manage to inflict damage to an unluckly hunter. I watched another National Geographic show last night about lions and buffalo. Four or five female lions will jump on a buffs back and maybe chew on his ass a little bit. I know what those claws would do to me but I don't think they would inflice lethal damage on a buffalo's hide. Next thing you know the buff will fall over and the lions will crush his windpipe and start feeding. Question--do they just give up? Do they go into shock? They just don't seem to have that much fight in them when confronted by lions. I know there are exceptions but most of the time it looks like they say, "Okay you caught me. Now I am just going to stand here until you get enough of your sisters on my back and then I will fall over." They seem a lot more ornery when a magnum bullet goes through their vitals.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
You don't know how many hours or days are compressed into that video. First, in the case of the bull that was taken, it was old and probably already compromised by fights with younger bulls. Second, the attack was likely several hours long, where some members of the herd were fending off lions and the lions resuming their attacks. The injuries to the bull were likely compounded over time. Finally, a younger bull gored the old, and now seriously wounded, bull, which signalled to the herd he was done, they no longer protected him.

Pretty interesting study in a predator/prey relationship.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Lion's Key in on the weak and old buffalo. That may explain why some appear to not fight much when being attacked. My guess is that there is a lot more video of the Buffalo walking away from the conflict than those where the Lion wins. Much of that video never makes it to the movie.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cunningham
posted Hide Post
Some animal websites say the average female lion weighs in at 277 pounds. With 5 on your back that would be almost 1400 pounds. This would tend to slow any animal down, young or old, sick or healthy.

Global Sportsmen Outfitters, LLC
Bob Cunningham
404-802-2500

Posts: 580 | Location: I am neither for you or against you. I am completely the opposite. | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote