New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun Sock or soft rifle case?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I picked up a couple of gun socks to bring with me to Africa for use in daily transport in the trucks and such as they are compact and light. For those who have been before, what is the opinion gun Socks over soft sided rifle cases? are the socks sufficient?

Posts: 355 | Location: Sandpoint, ID | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I have never tried the gun socks in Africa but have used soft cases. When I have used gun socks on scoped rifles at home they are very slow to get on and off. Not sure if that will be an issue for you, but it would have been an annoyance for me. Even on unscoped rifles I think they would be slower. I also think the soft cases give better protection because of the padding.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
In the 8 trips I made to Zimbabwe I have never had or used any type of case while hunting. I suppose I'm not the usual hunter in that respect as I never let my rifle out of my hands and would never under ANY circumstance put it in a truck rack. If I am in the cab the rifle stands between my legs if I am in back the rifle is usually across my legs or standing between them usually with the butt on my foot. Any other time my rifle is in the hardcase. Just my way of course.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would prefer the extra protection of a soft case in the gun rack that is outside behind the truck window on our trucks. It is a simple process to just lift one out of the open soft case. It has worked for us for many years.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of G L Krause
posted Hide Post
A soft case makes it easy to get the rifle in and out. The case can stay in the rack and by simply unzipping about 12 inches, the gun will slide right out and then back in without ever removing the case. Also, I doubt that a gun sock will protect the rifle enough during those tooth jarring termite mound rides.

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that kills bigger deer than I do." Izaak Walton (modified)

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
What Charles said! thumb

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Stick with the soft gun cases. The gun socks are for storing your guns at home in your safe. Ditto on all of the comments regarding the ability to remove your guns quickly from the soft gun cases vs. the gun socks, and the added protection that a soft gun case gives to your rifle over that of a gun sock.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I do exactly what Zimbabwe does. I have seen a few rifles get trashed in those racks even when they were in a case. Besides, sometimes you just have time to jump out of the vehicle, run a short distance, and take a quick shot. That extra 20 or 30 seconds may cost you the opportunity.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would go with the gun sock. Rattling your scope off center from the bumpy truck ride would probably improve your shooting. I've seen you shoot!

Posts: 245 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I think I'll let Stevie (aka hambone) bring cases, and I'll steal his and give him my socks....

Good info everyone!

Posts: 355 | Location: Sandpoint, ID | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried the socks and every negative mentioned is true. I'll add that they do not keep dust off of or out of your rifles as well either.

A gunsock was too slow and cumbersome even for an unscoped double rifle and a nightmare for a scoped rifle. Even if there is no rush they're just a pita.

BTW, if the tracker is doing his job, if there is any rush or not, by the time you hop out of or off the truck he should be handing you your rifle.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used soft cases on all on my trips.

Gun socks are great for protection in a gun safe, but not while in the field.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A gun sock is of value sitting in your closet bsck home. It's worth nothing on a hunt.

Posts: 13860 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So what I'm hearing here is that there really is no better choice for gun protection in the fieled than a gun sock....

Seriously, thanks for the advice.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is the rifle case I use most often.It is a vinyl case that looks like leather.It does not get dirty,has pockets for ammo,and a pocket for address or ID.It is not expensive.[URL= ]Kolpin vinyl rifle case[/URL] It is the case I keep my rifle in the pick-up truck behind the seat.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tim_Wegner
posted Hide Post
Guys here is an option on a product we sell that can come in quite handy when traveling light is an issue. It is mainly intended to be used during field transport in vehicles or boats etc... Using it helps to cut down the need for constant cleaning and oiling in wet or dusty conditions. This is especially so when traveling with a two gun battery.

Hope it helps!

BLADE-TECH “Safari Gun-Sokâ€

The “Safari Gun-Sok†is a must have item for the serious traveling hunter.

Packing a “Safari Gun-Sok†along on your next hunt eliminates the need to pack a bulky soft sided gun case in addition the hard sided gun case your firearms are already stored in when traveling abroad.

Whether traveling by Safari car, boat or ATV you can now protect your fine hunting rifle from the most severe elements such as rain, sleet, snow as well as salt water .

The “Safari Gun-Sok†can also protect your scope and your rifles action from the potential problems caused by the abrasive effects of blowing dust and sand.

It fits all standard, scoped, bolt action hunting rifles & double rifles.

It is quick opening via two Velcro pull tabs at the mouth.

It can be easily carried by the two nylon handles and can be hung from a branch or nail via a loop of Nylon webbing on the muzzle end.

When the end flap is rolled closed and buckled it is watertight.
The “Safari Gun-Sok†is a great way to protect your rifle from salt spray while heading for shore in your Zodiac, hoping for that shot at the big bear you spotted from the boat. The end flap can be rolled down and the Gun-Sok can be used as an open scabbard for quick access in foul weather.

When not in use the “Safari Gun-Sok†can be rolled up tight and stowed with in your rucksack, suitcase or duffle bag. Truly the perfect compact auxiliary rifle case for the traveling hunter.

The “Safari Gun-Sok†TM is made of heavy waterproof Nylon fabric and Nylon webbing.

MSRP $39.95
www.blade-tech.com

Posts: 99 | Location: McCleary, WA | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I would go with the soft case. I have used both socks and soft cases and the soft cases (thin padding and light weight are the keys) are best, IMHO.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
The traditional soft side gun case is still the best, IMHO. You want the padded protection for the rifle and scope, as well as the hard rubber or reinforced end of a soft side case to protect the muzzle of your gun as well. I still think that it's best to stick with the soft side cases. I have used them on the last 5 Safaris to Africa and would not consider going there without them. My guns ride in them, front or back of the vehicle with me, usually between my legs, and partially opened for the rifle to be taken out for use in a moment's notice. The only time that it was a hassle, it was my own fault, as it was a very cold evening and I had the gun case zipped shut when we suddenly and unexpectedly ran across a huge pair of bush pigs. Suffice it to say the bush pigs won that encounter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, the socks are not sufficient. Take soft sided cases. I have some that role up and tie for easy packing.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
I usually take two guns in the truck - one cannon and one for smaller plains game. One is inevitably in the gun rack and in a soft case. I wouldn't use the gun sock. In my experience, the PH usually has his gun in a soft case in the rack as well.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote