New
Find
Notify
Tools

Semi Auto Rifle-Namibia
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can I take a semi auto rifle to Namibia to hunt? I seem to hear both yes and no.

Thanks for info.

Regards, PG

Posts: 153 | Location: Riverside, CA Lake Havasu, AZ | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to be obnoxious, but the greater question is this: why would you want to?

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No. All semi auto weapons in Namibia are illegal along with all handguns.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Benelli managed it but for us mere mortals I think it may be problematic.

NAPHA says:

quote:
Other self-loading, considered semi-automatic weapons are NOT PROHIBITED, but you can expect questions at the Airport of importation.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a 338 BAR Safari Magnum in 2004 just because I always wanted a BAR. Thinking that was a big gun at the time, I started looking for somewhere to use it. So, Africa looked like the place to go. I was disappointed to learn that RSA did not allow semi-autos when I booked my first safari in 2006 . I assumed the same was true in 2008 when I went to Namibia. Had I known a semi-auto could be imported, I would used it for my leopard hunt. After 3 safaris, the BAR still has not been to Africa. It will go to Namibia if I get to go again. What other Africa countries allow semi-auto imports?

Posts: 135 | Location: Canton, Ga. USA | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
A personal friend of mine, Hartmut Freyer, guided the Benelli people on their plains game hunt in Namibia (two years ago?). They shot some critters and it was no big deal. Hartmut shared that the rifles were very loud upon closing the action but otherwise did okay.

I suppose it depends on what 'offical' you encounter at the airport

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
i would hate to think that my rifle importation depended on what official was working the day i arrived.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13218 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
i would hate to think that my rifle importation depended on what official was working the day i arrived.
Hmmm, sounds like TSA.

Posts: 512 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Yup!....that's Africa.

Bring a bolt rifle and go through their Customs (Inspection)

Bring your semi-auto and see what happens

Go through customs (with some ammo?) and rent a firearm from the PH....the choice is yours.

My suggestion is work out the details in advance. After seven such trips I will tell you that with future trips I will take some ammo with me and at the advice of the particular PH I will rent a firearm and bring the proper ammo.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt,

I'd say don't even bother with the ammo, buy theirs too.

Traveling with ammo but no matching rifle could be problematic in some places and, the last I heard, not permitted in South Africa at all.

And you really do not want to "forget" to declare such ammo either - not prudent.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Norman:
Yup!....that's Africa.

Bring a bolt rifle and go through their Customs (Inspection)

Bring your semi-auto and see what happens

Go through customs (with some ammo?) and rent a firearm from the PH....the choice is yours.

My suggestion is work out the details in advance. After seven such trips I will tell you that with future trips I will take some ammo with me and at the advice of the particular PH I will rent a firearm and bring the proper ammo.
yep, some airlines will not let you take ammo unless you have a gun of the same caliber. i quit taking a rifle to Africa 5 safaris ago and have never regretted it.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13218 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So it sounds like yes you can, but it may prove to be a pain and not worth the trouble. I have sent my PH an email asking his opinion.

I had a pistol confiscated in JB a few years ago, so I would like to avoid this situation. I did get the pistol back. Hence, the reason I am going through Germany--to avoid the JB routine. Three times was enough for me.

Regards, PG

Posts: 153 | Location: Riverside, CA Lake Havasu, AZ | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigBoreCore:
No. All semi auto weapons in Namibia are illegal along with all handguns.

I know of a PH who received a gun license for (and owns) a Ruger 10/22 in Namibia.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12578 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
My experience has been 'depends on what official you encounter'. I've encountered some 'officials' that inspected my paperwork upside-down.

I've taken ammo on a couple occassions no problem. But I had problems when I tried to bring my detachable scope (a Zeiss) in my carry-on. The 'official' said it could be used as a club. This was while other people were bringing knobcurries (sp?) they had purchased on board the airplane. Also had a problem with a Warne winch motor the PH asked me to bring. That 'official' made a big deal out of that and it was nearly confiscated. It took over an hour to sort that out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
So you think an ar-15 with a bunch of 30 round mags--for baboon control-- might raise an eyebrow or two? Cool

Regards, PG

One of Us
Picture of Tembo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PG:
So you think an ar-15 with a bunch of 30 round mags--for baboon control-- might raise an eyebrow or two? Cool

Regards, PG

One thing for sure, it would probably get you a first class tour of the inside of an African prison.

Posts: 2596 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Rats. Does this mean I can't bring my 75-year-old Remington Model 8 in .35 Rem. for warties?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16507 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote