New
Find
Notify
Tools

375 Loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I don't hand load my self, but have a friend who does. I don't know what he loaded for Barnes X 300 Gr., but he said it was so full that when the bullet was seated the case expanded and thus would not load in my gun. Can anyone help with some proven loads for Barnes X 300 gr. loading formulas. Thanks.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Ed,

I had the same problem with the Lott with 500grXbullets..I dropped to the 450X and they are ok..I think barnes makes a 270 for the 375 also...

Mike

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Die Ou Jagter,

You may want to try 68.0-72.0 grains of RL15. All of these loads shot +/- 1.5 inches in my rifle at a COL of 3.60. Fouling was a bit more than I liked. I ended up with a load of 65.5 gr of IMR 4064 and using SAF 300 at COL 3.61. Down a bit on velocity but very accurate and easy recoiling load. I'll let you after August 22 how the buffalo like it.

Jeff

Posts: 192 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: 06 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RL-15 is a good powder, but may compact with a Barnes bullet, IMR-4064, and 760 all work with the 375 H&H and 300 gr. Barnes Bullets I think...

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I ended up with a load of 65.5 gr of IMR 4064 and using SAF 300 at COL 3.61. Down a bit on velocity but very accurate and easy recoiling load.

Jeff:
What velocity did you get with this load?

Reason I ask is I am doubting the accuracy of my chrono. I used substantially heavier load than this in my rifle with the SAF 300 gr. and chrono read 2488 fps about 15' from muzzle. No signs of pressure in my rifle, but this load was over max. load in my books.

Thanks,
hm

Posts: 903 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hm,

Sorry that I don't have chrony data. 65.5 grains should yield slightly over 2400 fps acording to my loading data. 66.5 grains flattened primers and yielded slightly sticky bolt in my weapon and at 65.5 it shot the 300 grain Sierra and SAF very well. Hope this helps. As someone else says, "your mileage may vary".

Jeff

Posts: 192 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: 06 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had a bit of trouble with my 300 gr loads and have found that the Remington Safari grade ammo with 300 gr SAF's and the federal 300 gr trophy bondeded bear claws both shoot very well in my 375's. I gave up loading those 300 gr bullets and just load the 270's and 235's for deer and elk. I use the storebought for the 300's. Good hunting. "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Jeff. My rifle delivers lower velocities than the books suggest it should at any given load. I am a full grain and a half over max. but showing no signs of pressure in this rifle so wondering if chrono is correct. Guess I need to run it across another chrono just to check.

Regards,
hm

Posts: 903 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I can't give you a load, but I had a similar problem with Barnes X in my 416 Wea. The X is such a long bullet.

You could try pouring the powder in through something the length of an arrow shaft which gives you an extra bit of space.....not a hell of a lot more, but it worked for me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
As steve suggests the drop tube is efficient for loading a little extra into the case. You can also vibrate them a bit before adding the bullet. I have used the hard surface of an electric toothbrush to get that little extra. It is a mild form of compaction but less so than ramming with the extra long Barnes.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Because of the tapered case and its' limited capacity, you never seem to be able to put enough powder in the case without going through a lot of changes. I've never been able to load my H&H brass, no matter what make, without trying to use a drop tube which is a pain in the ass. This is always true when you use 300 gr bullets, regardless of make.

one of us
posted Hide Post
In Handloader 226 in a 375 H & H article by John Barsness custom gunsmith D'Arcy Echols recommends Hodgdon's Varget for 300 grain Barnes X bullets at approx 2500 fps and grouping at 1 MOA. Varget is an "Extreme" powder meaning that it is temperature stable. Something on the order of 62 to 64 grains seems appropriate. I would also refer you to Modern Reloading, Second Edition, by Richard Lee page 704 to his listing of the volume density of commonly available powders in the U. S. This is the volume in cubic centimeters of one grain of powder.
You might take a once fired case and insert a 300 grain Barnes X bullet in the case near to the OAL you want. Then with a second bullet laying next to the case, determine where the base of the second bullet comes on the case. Then remove the first bullet and insert a never used (unsharpened) wooden pencil into the case so that the inserted end is at the mark on the brass case. Place a piece of scotch tape on the pencil precicely where it exits the case neck. Remove the pencil and by trial and error put in enough Varget, 4350, 4895, Re-15 or similar powder so that when tamped with the pencil, the scotch tape is again at the case neck. Remove the pencil and weigh the powder in grains. Multiply that weight by the VMD from Lee's manual and you have the approximate volume occupied by the powder which would allow you to seat the Barnes X at the OAL you desire. Now the trick is to scour the Manuals available to find a load, in grains, of a powder suitable for the 375 whose volume does not exceed the volume you previously determined (for a 300 gr Barnes X). It seems likely that Varget would work although others might too. Good luck. I'm facing the same problem using a 350 gr. Rhino bullet in the same cartridge.

Posts: 58 | Location: Plain City, Ohio, USA | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always had trouble reloading 300 grain B-X bullets for my .378 and 400 grain B-X bullets for my .416 Wby. The B-X bullets are just too long..they either taken powder room or they stick out the cartridge too far. Weatherby's do not opperate really that well when you down load them so I have always had problems with using B-X bullets for this reason. I have to admit though that the reverse-engineered reloading procedure described above seems pretty damn compelling...

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote