THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Re: Hardcast bullets and DG revisited

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Hardcast bullets and DG revisited
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
No mention of hardness on their website. I'll take their testamonials with a grain of salt. I agree with Canuck that a hard cast bullet behaves like a solid. When discussing the relative merits, or lack thereof, of various bullets, one should keep in mind, eventualy they will all fail.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
No, no, no, no, no, no! They should have knocked 850fps off that velocity, and THEN it would have worked! No, wait, knock 1500fps off and the bullet would have worked better!

Wait, they should have THROWN the bullets at the buffalo; it would have penetrated clear through to Mozambique!!

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Alf,

Do they make .475" bullets? Are they generally available in gun shops over there? Just curious.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

A loyal follower of the hardcast bullet religion will not questions the assumptions of that faith.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We had five failures out of five with 600grn frontier bullets on last years proficiency exam. Fired at between 1750fps and 2000 fps from sundry .458 Win and .458 Lott's.

They are a good practice bullet, but buy them in the standard weight for your rifle. The big flat nose makes them great for shooting plainsgame with - if you are one of those that uses your DGR for all hunting!

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ganyana,

When you say five failures, what do you mean? Five wounded animals? Five failures to feed? or something else?

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
In all seriousness, I am curious how "hard"-cast these bullets actually are. I have been shooting cast bullets that act much more like a solid than is evidenced by the results shown with the Frontier bullet above.

Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Buffalo spines are tough on bullets. I had a .475" 500gr. Woodleigh flatten completely and lose all semblance of integrity on the spine of the buff in the photo below.

Shit happens.

George