Find
Notify
Tools

Puff adder pics
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bahati
posted
This one was photographed on a friens game farm in Limpopo province near Baltimore about 2 weeks ago, busy swallowing a rat. The Puffy size is probably normal to smallish.

The following one, I do not know the location of where it was caught, but would like to as it is clearly a place to steer clear of. Now this is a serious Puff ...

Johan

One of Us
Picture of someoldguy
posted Hide Post
I've obviously only heard of these odd-looking venomous snakes. Aren't puff adders generally non-aggressive unless they are disturbed? (Unlike mambas.)

Glenn

Posts: 942 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 16 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As Marlin Perkins used to say "While Jim Wrestles the Enormous Snake! - We watch from the safety of the Helicopter above!"

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of someoldguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
As Marlin Perkins used to say "While Jim Wrestles the Enormous Snake! - We watch from the safety of the Helicopter above!"

Big Grin

Poor old Marlin. I bet he didn't weight 120 pounds soaking wet!

I do remember seeing him jump on top of a monster anaconda on one show. I think it damn near killed him because it started to constrict on him and it took Jim and another guy or two to get Marlin loose.

After that, I never did notice him doing too much wrangling!

Glenn

Posts: 942 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 16 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's just nastiness. The first photo is interesting because their bodies are sunk into the sand...even the tail of the rat is contoured. That 2nd snake is way too big. He needed to be removed from the gene pool.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by someoldguy:
I've obviously only heard of these odd-looking venomous snakes. Aren't puff adders generally non-aggressive unless they are disturbed? (Unlike mambas.)

Ditto, Glenn

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
trust me if a puff adder that big bit you and really juiced you it would be worse than a typical mamba bite problem is you never know how much juice he is going to give you

Posts: 1396 | Registered: 24 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That 2nd snake is way too big. He needed to be removed from the gene pool.

That is a nasty looking big bastard!

Thanks Johan Big Grin

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
I love to see large snakes....especially when they turn a golden brown in the skillet. Taste's like chicken Smiler

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6805 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, great pix,
That second one is huge, probably female if is that big. Was is killed? I hope not!

Gerryb - no, a puff adder bite while very serious is not as 'bad' as a mamba, simply becasue of the nature of venom (cytotoxic vs. neurotoxic is no competiton, I'll take the former over latter if I was forced to choose, regardless of the size of the snake! neurotoxic venom will typically show lethal syptoms MUCH faster than cytotoxic).

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
the big one would be nice for a gun soft cover

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
while the mamba is way more toxic I have friends bitten by both and pain and suffering will be 10 times as bad with the puff adder. without medical attention you will die faster from the mamba but modern times getting to a hospital and you will suffer more from the adder. The tissue destuction is crazy and the depth of the bite of that size snake would be unbearable. Ask John Sharpe how it feels.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: 24 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've seen photos of cytotoxic tissue damage...that's just plain nasty. shocker

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
quote:
in Limpopo province near Baltimore

We got these things near Baltimore now? That's only an hour north of me!

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I know this is a Neanderthal attitude, but in my opinion: "The only good poisonous snake is a dead one."

Wink

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4737 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The tissue destuction is crazy and the depth of the bite of that size snake would be unbearable.

I agree, the bite would very painful and the tissue damage would be severe!!
An ex-colleague of mine lost a fingure to a puff-adder, not fun!

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was thinking with the two of them, hat band and matching belt Big Grin

Posts: 41860 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is one big puffie if ever I saw one! Looks like quite a clever invention too, the pole and noose. If you do not have snake-sticks, a bit of pvc pipe and rope should work just as well as this picture seems to show.

I would be a bit anxious about being anywhere near that monster. As to puff-adders and their disposition, I have found them to be either very placid or extremely aggressive with very few in between. I remember one big female that would always hiss irately and strike at the glass in it's cage to get you if you put your face close to the glass to view it! Conversely, some I have seen have been very chilled in captivity. Some crazy people have free-handled them before, but they are way too dangerous and unpredictable for that, no matter how well you know the individual snake. They also have a habit of biting very experienced snake handlers from time to time! Either way, it is best not to stand on or near one if you can avoid it, although that is easy enough to do, since they can become invisible on the ground with grass and leaves thrown in! I believe the bite is extremely painful.

Posts: 302 | Location: England | Registered: 10 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The last hunt in Zimbabwe we had a Mozambique cobra in our kitchen and a puff adder crossing the road. I never think of those things when I'm hunting or following game, but when I'm lying in bed at the end of the day, thinking about the possibility of stepping on one while moving in on that big buffalo, they scare the shit out of me.

Posts: 13807 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
cytotoxin=severe tissue damage and pain. neurotoxin= rapid death. enuff said!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13233 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is something about snakes that most people fear...even Indiana Jones!

I just returned from a weekend hog hunt and the guy I was with swears that snakes don't bother him...but a big spider got onto him in the woods and he just about had a nervous breakdown getting away from it. Not his finest moment I'm sure!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Coastal Taipan and our common Brown snake are highly venomous and bloody aggressive too Smiler

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yukon delta:
There is something about snakes that most people fear...even Indiana Jones!

I just returned from a weekend hog hunt and the guy I was with swears that snakes don't bother him...but a big spider got onto him in the woods and he just about had a nervous breakdown getting away from it. Not his finest moment I'm sure!

Havn't got a problem with handling any reptiles but put a spider on me and I shit myself!!! shocker

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Norwegianhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blair338/378:
Coastal Taipan and our common Brown snake are highly venomous and bloody aggressive too Smiler

You also have the death adder or deaf adder as it also been called, this is the 4th most poisen in the world. We are lucky here in Norway, we just have one viper, he`s poisenous but not mutch you got to see a doctor but its seldom dethly

Salesagent

Africa hunting

Posts: 131 | Location: Loeten the home of the aquavit, Norway | Registered: 12 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thankfully no snakes in Alaska.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What, St. Patrick went there too?
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yea, he froze to death and we put him in the Anchorage airport for the tourists to look at. rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of Norwegianhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yukon delta:
Yea, he froze to death and we put him in the Anchorage airport for the tourists to look at. rotflmo

Alaske is a beatiful place, my grangrandfather went to Alaska in 1896 and stayed there to 1901 digging for gold, if he had stayed longer I probably been a Alaskian zitisen Cool

Salesagent

Africa hunting

Posts: 131 | Location: Loeten the home of the aquavit, Norway | Registered: 12 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In some U.S. states you can legally own snakes like this with no license or required training. In fact, you can have them air freighted to your nearest airport from breeders in the U.S. The puff adder was just one of the snakes I had in my collection in the '90s. During that time, I visited a pet store in North Carolina that was offering baby Gaboon vipers for $45 and baby spitting cobras for about $150. All fully venomous.

I outgrew (and survived) that particular hobby.

Posts: 182 | Location: Western Washington | Registered: 12 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
quote:

I outgrew (and survived) that particular hobby.

Glad to hear you survived. We already have far too many ghost postings here on AR! Wink Big Grin

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andrew,

lol And only one close call. The puff adder got loose while I was cleaning its cage and was between me and the door of the snake room. A puff adder looks at you like a Cape buffalo owes it money.

Posts: 182 | Location: Western Washington | Registered: 12 April 2008Reply With Quote