Find
Notify
Tools

SCI Game Birds of the World Awards
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
Very disappointing. SCI has well and truly lost the plot . . .

SCI Announces Game Birds of the World Awards

SCI Game Birds of the World

The SCI Record Book Committee is pleased to announce the new Game Birds of the World Awards Platform. This is a standalone platform that will not intermix with our existing Big Game Species Awards. The purpose of the new Game Birds of the World is to bring greater attention to the wonderful bird hunting opportunities throughout the globe and to provide additional goals for hunters who have either completed their big game hunting or are looking for another hunt to supplement their big game hunts. The Record book Department will accept birds from our extensive Game Birds list as photo entries only, there will be not measurements of these birds.

All game bird entries must be submitted on an Official Game Birds of the World photo entry form that can be found here, along with a field photograph showing the distinguishing characteristics of each bird. We recommend a photo of the chest, wing open, and one of the head. In addition, each game bird must be recognized by SCI as a huntable game bird on our comprehensive game bird species list, located on the SCI website. This list was compiled by the Game Birds of the World Committee which consists of PHD wildlife biologists and top wildlife researchers who dedicated a great deal of time into developing this great program.

In addition each species submitted for consideration must meet the following criteria:

1. Species must be legally hunted with a shotgun.
2. Have a known population status.
3. Have a specific hunting season and be harvested during that season.
4. Must be recognized as either "Upland Game Bird" or "Waterfowl" by the Game Birds Committee
5. Must be shot while flying.

We are also launching 8 new awards exclusively for North American Game Birds which include both upland game and waterfowl awards. In order to qualify for one of these awards, you must submit each species required for the award and purchase either a listing fee $125.00 or the entry fee $250.00 for each award. If you choose to purchase the listing fee for each award you will be listed as having achieved the award in all our Awards related publications. If you choose to purchase the $250.00 entry fee for each award you will receive all the benefits of the listing plus you will receive a custom made plaque detailing your award.

The Game Birds of the World ad hoc committee will evaluate additional awards to add from other countries by popular demand, so please give feedback to the Record Book Department on which game bird awards you would like to see next.

Mike

Posts: 21684 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Just another way for the bastards to make money on the simple minded who need to be in the "book."

Perhaps a category for bugs that we have all been bitten whilst on safari. Tsetse flys, noseeums, black socks, mosquitos, etc..
1. Must have been bitten while on a legal safari...

Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Just when you think SCI couldn't sink any further, this happens. Picture only? No measurements? Do you think maybe this is another desperate attempt to raise money?? Absolutely pathetic... thumbdown pissers

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13395 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cannot blame SCI even though I would like to. SCI members are almost exclusively hunters and these hunters will decide if this continues.

What is really sad is that a significant number of hunters must have thought this was a good idea.

I guess you can put me down as not a supporter of all hunters.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
SCI members at large have jackall to say about what happens in Tucson...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is funny how things get valued by these rules the lowly turkey does not qualify.

I did shot one flying once from off the ground like a gaint grouse. That method of take is legal in KY. I wonder if that would count.

To me this underscores the ridiculousness of it all. This species is better than that species and here is a shiny object to prove it.

I got to hunt "it" that is enough award for me.

There has to be a better way to raise money.

Posts: 12072 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I saw this is when I decided they were beyond hope.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
It's embarrassing to me as a member.

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
It's about time for the SCI apologists here to chime in about how SCI is "first for hunters" rotflmo jumping

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Fact is, apologists, supporters, detractors, whatever, none of our interests as hunters are served by a tone deaf and seemingly inept SCI.

Frowner

Mike

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
SCI members at large have jackall to say about what happens in Tucson...

I have been saying this for years.

Nothing, NOTHING! SCI bigwigs do is of any benefit to us hunters.

Everything is done to satisfy the the mindless cravings of MINE IS BIGGER THAN YOURS, spineless, Wall Street idiots!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Really..our interests aren't trophies...or awards...or competition...or...or...

One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
Wonder if SCI will have an "introduced bird award" to include birds such as starlings, English sparrows, pheasants, etc?

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How very clever of SCI Boardroom cretins!

The hunting community is already under siege by the anti-hunting crowd who have been more focused in preventing the "murder" of "defenseless" animals. (I daresay I have never really noticed any vocal objection to the killing of birds).

This will all change as I foresee the Ornithologists banding together and teaming up with snowflakes from Disneyland.

Birdwatchers have more or less kept to themselves as their hobby is more relaxing and time consuming as they can patiently sit and wait for a particular bird for hours/days, weather notwithstanding; admirable in a way.

I wonder if this newly discovered BS awards programme for birds will impact on their views towards upland & waterfowl hunters.

What's the bet that someone will suddenly discover certain species among the listed game birds are "threatened species"?

Posts: 2035 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Can someone please enlighten me.

Wasn't SCI originally started to make hunting a sort of sick competition??

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Whoring at it's worst.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Can someone please enlighten me.

Wasn't SCI originally started to make hunting a sort of sick competition??

Yes, can't remember his name. He was obsessed with anything that he could do to push him self up. I once read he went on a shikar and killed 5-7 tigers just because he could. CJ McCelroy?

I have a book by him. It is interesting, not many men had his money back then.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

I read this opening post and it made me laugh. Laughter is good. Thanks Mike for posting !

On Saeed's comment ...

quote:
Wasn't SCI started to make hunting a sort of sick competition?

Maybe you cracked it ... Sick Competition Institution !

jumping

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2327 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I read this, I thought "Mike forgot to change his calendar and this is his April fools day post." Then as I continued to read, I realize who the fools are...

one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
It is funny how things get valued by these rules the lowly turkey does not qualify.

I did shot one flying once from off the ground like a gaint grouse. That method of take is legal in KY. I wonder if that would count.

To me this underscores the ridiculousness of it all. This species is better than that species and here is a shiny object to prove it.

Yeah, when I saw the "rules" I wondered how much thought had gone into them--turkeys, the "Holy Grail" for many bird hunters, are almost always killed on the ground. Maybe someone needs to cross-breed and develop a "turkey flushing bird dog."

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1553 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Just when we thought we'd seen it all...

The ability of some jackwagons to come up with a concept as ridiculous as this never ceases to amaze. I've never entered any qualifying animal in SCI (nor Rowland Ward or Boone & Crocket for that matter) so I'll be damned if I'd send a picture of some bird to be entered. This reminds me of why I dropped out of SCI clear back in the 1980's and only pay their stupid fee to get into their convention for a day in the years I attend. Roll Eyes

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Two observations:
1. What the good folks at AR think of SCI.
2. Why SCI does not post here.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Two observations:
1. What the good folks at AR think of SCI.
2. Why SCI does not post here.
Cal

1. Members of AR are hunters. And real hunters have no time for silly organizations like SCI.

2. This is a hunting site. SCI does not know what hunting means clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know how many species of woodpeckers that one has to get to reach the diamond award level? rotflmo

What a bunch of f'ing buffoons.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of umzingele
posted Hide Post
Just checked their list of African gamebirds. incomplete! Who is advising them, or is this thumb sucking?

Posts: 265 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: 20 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
. . . there is incredible irony associated with SCI not including the oozlum bird.

Roll Eyes

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Folks,

I'm still an SCI supporter but this bird thing seems entirely unnecessary and probably could not come at a more inopportune time when hunting is so much under siege.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well i'm waiting for prairie dogs of the world so i can enter Big Grin

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Do the birds have to be free range or can you just shoot them flying in an aviary?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn, I was surprising my partner by ordering his "hen spoonbill" award. I sent the $250 before I read the fine print. He waited for it to land, then used a .22 because he could not lure it into the decoys due to his sub par calling. Corn may, or may not have been in the general vicinity...
He is trying for the Double Diamond Hen Ducks Of The World award, which comes with the gold plated award ring. I should have read more carefully. Dammit!

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nitro Express:
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:

Yeah, when I saw the "rules" I wondered how much thought had gone into them--turkeys, the "Holy Grail" for many bird hunters, are almost always killed on the ground. Maybe someone needs to cross-breed and develop a "turkey flushing bird dog."

Done! My Springer couldn't resist them. I think she thought they were super grouse!

SCI is hopeless and despite the slogan, represent what the antis see as the worst motivation for hunting: the "mine is bigger so I am going to buy myself an award". I may resign. It keeps getting worse.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
And still not a peep out of the usual apologists. Roll Eyes

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
This says to me that SCI is in survival mode, and doing the only thing they know...which is more of the same. The demographics and changing times just do not bode well for them, at least in their current form.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would love to see the results of their surveys.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:

I had that exact thought this afternoon. You can rest assured that if the survey they did last year strongly supported their agenda, approach and performance, members would have heard about it. Conversely, the silence is deafening.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't wait to buy myself an award for hunting...I'll be so surprised and appreciative faint

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:

I had that exact thought this afternoon. You can rest assured that if the survey they did last year strongly supported their agenda, approach and performance, members would have heard about it. Conversely, the silence is deafening.

Yup

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please forgive my ignorance, but DSC doesn't have these foolish "awards" as well, do they?

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I'm totally fine with this. I hope that fish are next. But only with handguns, not shotguns.

Of course, I readily admit that I may be an outlier on this.

If I had been Jonah, I would have shot my way out.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
I'm totally fine with this. I hope that fish are next. But only with handguns, not shotguns.

Barrel or no barrel?

The fish, I mean, not the firearm.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote