New
Find
Notify
Tools

first safari
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What would it cost for a first time safari for plains game?I've been interested in africa for years,maybe i should plan to go!Looking at say a kudu,eland,zebra etc..I would love a sable but i think it's out of my budget.
any advise?
thanks

Posts: 120 | Location: yukon | Registered: 11 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about an economical 10 day for plainsgame hunt including the following species:

1 giraffe
1 kudu (non trophy)
1 kudu cow
1 waterbuck cow
2 warthog
2 impala
1 wilderbeast cow
1 zebra
1 eland female
1 baboon
1 hyena
$5990 including daily rate and trophy fees.

OR

1 buffalo
1 sable
1 giraffe
1 zebra
1 wildbeast
1 kudu bull
1 tsetsebe
1 impala
1 warthog
1 bushpig
$12,560 including both daily rate and trophy fees

http://www.buzzcharltonsafaris.co.zw/specials.htm

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
You might want to look at: http://www.africanhuntingadventures.com/

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tons and tons of possibilities. Depends heavily on your budget (remember the after safari costs such as shipping and taxidermy and such mundane things like airfare and tipping which are not insignificant), time constraints, which countries you may want to hunt and additional animals you want to hunt.

I like package deals for a first hunt but to each his own.

You may want to read T.Carr's tips and packing list for some helpful info:

T. Carr info

It's a long road but well worth the effort.

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
There's a lot more to pricing a safari than just looking at a price list....... If you would like to e-mail me I'd be happy to send an info sheet on how to identify all the additional costs....... you could also look at my website and then put the two things together and you'll be able to work out total costs of different types of African hunting trips.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of hunts out there and most surely one to suit your taste and budget. Always remember to ask for references before you book -I think that is pretty much a golden rule wherever you plan to hunt. If you send me a PM I can give you details on a very good alternative.

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
You will be quoted a ton of numbers.....all I can say is that the cost is directly proportional to the number of animals you shoot.

Remember this.....you will still have expenses well over and above the quoted price.....shipping the trophies home, taxidermy, preparation costs such as passport, clothes, new gun, camera, immunizations and other medical preparations.

I doubt seriously that one can make the trip and shoot only four animals and wind up with them on the wall for under $10,000.....and that's a trip that was quoted well under $5,000........ya know what...It's worth every dime and you should go.....hell with the costs.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Griz:

You will have to use your instincts in picking an outfitter. What you should know is that getting a "laundry list" of what animals you can hunt on a particular safari is no guarantee that you will even see any of these critters -even at 500 yards and heading south. Try to talk to an outfitter, ask questions. You want sable? Then concentrate on sable. ( A lioness making that rush at the herd already has her eye on the one she wants and ignores an animal that runs right in front of her. Be like the lioness. Know what you want and don't get distracted) You can't imagine how many charges and fees you have to add on. The outfitter is not gypping you. Believe me, the charges are there and deserve to be paid. (Yeah, I know all about how you can save a nickel here and a dime there but this is the hunt of a lifetime and it just is no time to be "penny wise and pound foolish". I liked Shakari's post about costs. He sounds like someone to talk to. That's my advice as a one time hunter to Africa who fell in with a first class outfitter and PH. I want to see another "first timer" have as good a time as I did)

Posts: 649 | Location: NY | Registered: 15 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went on my first trip last year. I am an engineer by education and profession, so I analyzed this trip to death. The benefit to studying this and talking to as many people as possible was to be able to ask good questions. I concur with most of what everyone previous to me has said. I also find that Ray and the other hunt consultants are telling you the truth.

I suggest that you work via references from people you know. I was fortunate to meet our outfitter face to face and lock down what we could expect. Americans in general have a pre-set idea on what to expect, the South African hunting business knows this and strives to deliver. Our first misconception was trying to pick a laundry list of animals to hunt. My top pick was Vahl Reebok, a mistake in that it was a "high in the mountains" critter and I did not think there were mountains in the Eastern Cape. Wrong!!! and the wrong animal to start with. I finally figured that we would enjoy the hunting the most by hunting what the PH's and outfitter said were particularly good in the area. For instance, I have not thought of hunting Nyala, but they were abundant and my son shot a dandy. I under-estimated Kudu and fell in love with hunting Kudu. Impala was a blast and baboon was the toughest. All of this to say - go there with an open mind, let the PH know what you like in general and follow his lead.

Food, accomodations, travel, water etc. are all fine, no worries there.

Focus on getting ready physically and be able to shoot straight. Take your favorite gun, use a good bullet and be ready for fun.

Once you get there, listen and do what the PH's tell you. They are the best hunters I have ever dealt with. My experience is strictly North America and I was blown away by the professionalism of the PH's. I doubt that I will hunt with guides in the US or Canada again - they do not hold a candle to the PH's I was with. The PH's in RSA were highly educated and trained - a vast difference to the bubba's in Texas and Wyoming I have been around. I sent my 2 sons to a hunting school the week before I got there and they were changed boys when I got there. I was stunned at what they learned and how good they became in a week. In Texas, they learned bad habits from the "guides" and do not want to hunt in stands or there again.

Unexpected or unestimated expenses - shipping the trophies back and the added animals. I suggest you budget for 25% more animals than you expect to shoot. I left a bigger tip than I had planned, but they earned it.

Last - don't hunt every minute, see the towns and the people. My wife and daughter feel in love with the locals and are begging to go back (no problem!). The wildlife parks and local history is incredible. If you can, read Michener's "The Covenent" before you go. You will gain a better insight into the people there.

Enjoy a trip of a lifetime.

Posts: 10182 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote