Find
Notify
Tools

Scotch drinkers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve

Guys what about a good old wine ............klipdrift brandewyn with coke nothing better then that.

Steve you havent feed me that stuff that will make my legs go wobbly do it work?

Luan

Posts: 261 | Location: Lydenburg | Registered: 19 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys

What about a good old wine.........klipdrift brandewyn and a good cigar and a fire with great bushpig roast or a gemsbuck cordon blue with friends enjoying each other.

Steve you never gave me that stuff that make your legs wobbly think it will work?

Luan

Posts: 261 | Location: Lydenburg | Registered: 19 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by luan:
Guys

What about a good old wine.........klipdrift brandewyn and a good cigar and a fire with great bushpig roast or a gemsbuck cordon blue with friends enjoying each other.

Steve you never gave me that stuff that make your legs wobbly think it will work?

Luan

Been a while since we shared a bottle & a campfire so we'll have to make a plan to do it again my friend! tu2

As for a drink that'll make your legs go wobbly.......... hmmmmmm. If anything will do it, it's agua diente but I have my doubts even that'll do it.

The problem with you Afrikaaners is that you're all born with two livers & I'm beginning to think that you might even have three! jumping

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by luan:
Guys

Eeker Jeez! Stay away from that shit! There are not too many "friends" that I would want to enjoy. Roll Eyes

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by luan:

As for a drink that'll make your legs go wobbly.......... hmmmmmm. If anything will do it, it's agua diente but I have my doubts even that'll do it.

The problem with you Afrikaaners is that you're all born with two livers & I'm beginning to think that you might even have three! jumping

Actually, the livers are called Dlamini Livers, 'cause they've never worked.

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MIRACLE!!
Ángel's share is 2% a year approx so this bottle of cask strength is almost a litter out of a 440 pints .
Remarkable worth every dime.

Posts: 142 | Location: Hidalgo, Texas /Monterrey, Mexico | Registered: 12 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
Ernest, I normally drink the blended but when I want to splurge I will go for the 18yr Glenmorangie. I haven't had any for a good while and I would guess it is now in the triple figure.

you are right- it is great- and well into the triple digits.....

Hey, everything of quality goes up in price. I once shot a 45" sable, and the trophy fee was under $1,000! Scotch isn't the only thing that has gone up in price. Frowner

Posts: 3873 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I'm watching Bush t.v. and having a tot of whisky in the middle of the Karoo. A blend but who cares on a beautiful night like this one!

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7589 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JudgeG:
I'm watching Bush t.v. and having a tot of whisky in the middle of the Karoo. A blend but who cares on a beautiful night like this one!

I must say I have to agree with you, Ernest. Who cares that it's a blend? You're in Africa, and we are not!

Have a memorable trip.

Posts: 3873 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
quote:
Originally posted by JudgeG:

I must say I have to agree with you, Ernest. Who cares that it's a blend? You're in Africa, and we are not!

Have a memorable trip.

+1 - Eggs.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Cumming, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Ok what is your favourite low cost blend for normal drinking?

The last few years I have been mainly on Dewar's White label 8 year old. I find it better than JW Red, Teachers, Grants etc.

I also enjoy Famous Grouse, Balentines, VAT 69, & Black Douglas. Here in NZ they tend to cost $5 to $8 more than the above list.

Going a level up to the premium blends - Some times I get the 12 year old Dewar's Black label. I find it as enjoyable as the JW Black. I have never been a big fan of Chivas Regal.

On a side note - today India & China are the biggest markets for Scotch Whiskey with over 700 million middle class people ... An Indian company has now invested heavily in Scottish distilleries. I found some brands surprisingly affordable in India (shipped in bulk & bottled locally under license). For example VAT 69 750ml bottle cost about US$19 in India while it costs about US$32 here in NZ!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11017 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
today India & China are the biggest markets for Scotch Whiskey with over 700 million middle class people

There is an Indian family just down the street from me and the quantity of Crown Royal they consume is simply astonishing.

As far as Scotch, I like Black Label and whatever anyone is pouring. I think too much puffery goes on about single malts versus blends etc. What a person likes is independent of price, age, label etc. It is what it is. I know also many people who like a cigar with Scotch but how anyone can ruin their palate with smoke is beyond me.

one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:

The last few years I have been mainly on Dewar's White label 8 year old. I find it better than JW Red, Teachers, Grants etc.

Dewar's was my favorite blend up until recently. My wife and I went to Thailand in February and everything is dirt cheap in Thailand...except for whisky and wine so I stuck to blends if I wanted something other than a Singha. Johnny Walker Red was most prevalent so I stuck with that and I found I liked it more than Dewers.

As I developed a taste for the sweet highland and speyside single malts I think I became more adverse to smokey whiskies and Dewar's is a bit more smokey than Johnny Walker Red. What I can't get my head around is some people's love of Johnny Walker Blue. Why on earth someone would spend that kind of money on a blend is beyond me.

With all that being said, I will drink just about anything someone is pouring as well.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Cumming, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jorge400:
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:

Dewar's was my favorite blend up until recently. My wife and I went to Thailand in February and everything is dirt cheap in Thailand...except for whisky and wine so I stuck to blends if I wanted something other than a Singha. Johnny Walker Red was most prevalent so I stuck with that and I found I liked it more than Dewers.

As I developed a taste for the sweet highland and speyside single malts I think I became more adverse to smokey whiskies and Dewar's is a bit more smokey than Johnny Walker Red. What I can't get my head around is some people's love of Johnny Walker Blue. Why on earth someone would spend that kind of money on a blend is beyond me.

With all that being said, I will drink just about anything someone is pouring as well.

McCallan 18 year old single malt when I can afford it.

If you can afford a $30,000 fifth of scotch there had better be two supermodels hanging onto your arm and a divorce lawyer following you around!

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4735 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of shoulderman
posted Hide Post
I drink glenlivet 12 for a daily single malt, it is about the same or cheaper than johnny walker black. I have had the JW blue and it is a huge ripoff. I didn't buy it. A personal injury attorney did, so I was happy to drink it. Mclellands is very reasonable about $24/fifth and they have a lowland, highland and speyside which are all very nice. As for the divorce lawyer following you around, "If it floats, flys or fs..., it is cheaper to rent than to buy it

Kodiak 2022
Namibia 2019
Namibia 2018
South Africa 2017
Alaska Brown Bear 2016
South Africa, 2016
Zimbabwe 2014
South Africa 2013
Australia 2011
Alberta 2009
Namibia 2007
Alberta 2006

Posts: 235 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 17 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
I've pretty much taken a bottle of Glenmoragie Lasanta on every trip for the last 3-4 years without disappointing too many people in the process.

The Prof conducted some in depth market research at DSC last year and given he says we will see him again I think it passed muster!!

I have to say though, if my mate from Kentucky turns up again with a bottle of Woodford Reserve I could easily find it in my heart to forget its country of origin... Wink

K

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
My favorite Scotch is whatever Kiri is serving at the DSC for elevensies. Big Grin

Clara and I opened a 25 y/o GlenTurrent this weekend to celebrate my 50th birthday and our 18th anniversary. It is good and definitely a special occasion drink. My favorites are the single malts from Glenlivet, Balvenie, Glenfiddich and Glenmorangie. I have enjoyed some priceless, unforgettable moments sipping cheap whiskey out of a canteen cup. However, I also enjoy being able to sip great whiskey out of crystal from David Whyman now that life's journey has presented another path.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeE
posted Hide Post
Daily drink is Glenlivet 12 yr old, but also like the nicer bourbons like Woodford reserve, and lately Rebecca Creek.

If possible going to Africa, I get a large Glenlivet 18 at the duty free. note to all - you cannot buy at duty free in Jo-berg, going to Namibia. So no cigars or fancy Scotch on this last trip, had to make do with JW Black, which used to be on my top three.

Quick story involving some one on here I used to work with. Him, I and another nefarious individual were at a fancy hotel in London, on a project. We were the only Sctoch drinkers, and visited the lobby bar, ran by an old Scotsman, we asked did he have any unusually good Scotch, he replies " ach, laddie, only about a Hubert kinds!!!"

He brings three shots each, the three of us at a time. We vote, we prefer number three, etc, and he brings three more,,,,,, for hours. After much testing and deliberation we have located the ultimate drink. We are now so trashed, that the this day, none of us remember it!!!!

When the bar tab arrived, it was over 1500 British pounds. A rather large discussion was had over that back in the presidents office a couple weeks later.

And we all agreed, that given a chance, we would do it again. Unrepentant we remain.

Funny thing, back then, I had no idea MJ was a hunter!!!!

Master of Boats,
Slayer of Beasts,
Charmer of the fair sex, ......
and sometimes changer of the diaper.....

Posts: 347 | Location: HackHousBerg, TX & LA | Registered: 12 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
The fine are of single malt drinking:

I found this somewhat embarrassing photo on the Facebook page for Heroes Hunting USMC which is a "thank you" Vic Sullivan does each year for ten Marines from the Albany, GA Marine base. We have a great barbeque the night before the hunt and they participate in Vic's herd management taking does. Each year, the winner of an egg fight gets to shoot a buck.... I think the base XO and I were the finalists.... but more important, note the skill in which I hold both a fine Islay and a Partagas #10 in the same hand.

That, my friends, takes talent.... and several glasses before attempting!

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7589 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Judge you have the poise and look of an NLF Quarterback. Put a football in your right hand with that posture, balance and look out!!!!

Posts: 1802 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
Sometimes i offer guests a tad of 'smoke' or 'butter'.

Smoke means Laphroaig, sometimes hanging around in a 57% cask strength. Lagavulin is pricey.

Butter means Jack Daniels, either the normal black number 7, or sometimes one of the specialty 'Gentlemans's Jack', et al.

Yea, I know that Jack isn't Scotch, but it's good and distinct and can hold its head with anyone.

Cold beer, if available, is also a nice treat out in the bush. I've been partial to Tusker.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

One of Us
Picture of Maximus Brutus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shoulderman:
I drink glenlivet 12 for a daily single malt, it is about the same or cheaper than johnny walker black. I have had the JW blue and it is a huge ripoff. I didn't buy it. A personal injury attorney did, so I was happy to drink it. Mclellands is very reasonable about $24/fifth and they have a lowland, highland and speyside which are all very nice. As for the divorce lawyer following you around, "If it floats, flys or fs..., it is cheaper to rent than to buy it

Can't go wrong with Glenlivet 12. I have yet to meet anyone who didn't appreciate it.

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post

A lagavulin and just relax

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A.Dahlgren:

A lagavulin and just relax

'Saw the picture and knew it was you, even before I looked at your name. Amazing shot. I've got to get some glasses like that.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote