New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wives on a hunt?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have not posted in a good while. The last time I posted I was looking at Outfitters in Namibia.
I had wanted my wife to go with me, but the answer was always no. Now she has changed her mind. She wants to go, but not go into the field with me, but stay at the camp- farm house-ranch house while I hunt.
I told her that might be boring. What do the wives have to do in camp-farm house-ranch house while we hunt? Can they shop somewhere or go site seeing?
I was looking at Jan Oelefse, Okanduka Seibe and Gras Hunting Ranch as outfitters.

Thanks for any information.

Mauserk98

Posts: 193 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
the laundry??

...oops flame on Smiler

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
quote:
What do the wives have to do in camp-farm house-ranch house while we hunt? Can they shop somewhere or go site seeing?

Depending on the outfit, but if they are close to Windhoek, or Swakopmund, the wifes enjoy shopping in these 2 towns. Or they can go on sight seeing tours or stay in camp and read/ relax a day or so.

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1333 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnHunt:
the laundry??

rotflmo

My wife didn't really want to go to Zimbabwe until I peppered her with brochures showing lovely camps and lodges. She finally said yes.
She wasn't going to come hunting much either, instead stay in camp and read. She hunted every day with us and she had a ball. So much so that she said she wants to go again if I ever get the chance again.
So much for my man's only Duggaboy hunt Roll Eyes

Cheers,
Mark.

Posts: 557 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 13 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Spiral Horn Safaris
posted Hide Post
It is great that the wife decided to go with you maybe she will fall in love with Africa as well.

I know you are looking at Namibia but take a look at Sun City the wife would have a ball there.
Cheers

Posts: 125 | Location: Limpopo South Africa | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depending on where you hunt, the facilities might include a (generally small) swimming pool, and gym. She might also, take long walks, as my wife does, going the opposite direction from the hunters.

In addition, Windhoek has two really excellent jewelry shops of which Adriaan Meyer on the main street is superb and can make jewelry. Two shops sell ostrich and game leathers. The best is the very high end Katerina Karl, run by Heino and Eva Marie Mannschen just down the street from the Kalahari Sands arcade about 25 yards and then, across the light going downtown, the Nakara shop markets some good leather from the tannery of that name. (I've got some ostrich shin leather from Nakara to inset into the sheaths for high quality hunting knives.)

You might also want to treat her to some cuisine in Windhoek as well and good restaurants are available.
Regards

Posts: 1319 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would be only the dullest of all women, or men, who would not find a free-chase hunting environment a captivating experience. Some people would find Yellowstone or Niagara Falls mundane. Once the reality rather than the imagined is experienced, emotions deadened by the urban existence will be awakened. On our most recent trip my 125lb., 5'1" wife shot a Cape buffalo and Burchell's zebra. She was right next to me for my croc and elephant. This was our seventh trip to Southern Africa and she is asking about another leopard and her own elephant for next year. Africa is an amazing experience for anyone willing to give it a first try.

posted Hide Post
If you need any help in convicing your wife to accompay you to Namibia, check out this excellent article for non-hunters: http://www.huntersnamibia.com/non-hunters.htm
Marina Lamprecht of Hunters Namibia Safaris, regulary presents seminars at SCI on 'Non-hunters on a Trophy Hunting Safari'. I have hunted with her husband, PH Joof lamprecht, 4 x and can HIGHLY RECOMMEND them. This outfit not only introduced my non-hunting wife to the safari life, but has her totally hooked. She arrived in Namibia somewhat reluctant about the whole hunting experience, but after 2 days we could not keep her off the hunting truck..!!

Posts: 6 | Location: USA & Africa | Registered: 18 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Our first trip to Zimbabwe was in 1994. I did not know what to expect as my only knowledge of Africa was from reading and television.

On the first morning of the hunt I went out with the PH and my husband to collect and hang
leopard bait. That was all it took for me to never stay in camp and always go out. Seeing giraffes running in their slow motion gallop, herds of zebra and impalas, birds I never even knew existed. I was hooked and loved it. I also took my first big game animal, an impala, on that trip.

Trust me on this one, if she goes out once in the field she will have NO desire to stay in camp.

Best of luck on your hunt. You and your wife will have a wonderful time and great memories.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9365 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Took my wife to Zim this year and she cannot wait to go back. I think the key is identifying your wife's "wish list" for a safari. Mine wanted to stay in a nice camp, see lots of animals, have good food and drink, go out with the hunters when she wanted, and stay in camp when she wanted. I narrowed my booking selections to three capable outfits, and I broke the tie with the one that best suited her safari wishes. It turned out that my wife went out with the hunters 12 of 16 days.

The link to our hunt report is below:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/9731028311

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Either teach your wife to shoot or give her a good camera to take along. Or both if she likes.
It only took one warthog to get my wife into hunting. She is pregnant now and with her folks in Portugal but says that she wants to hunt bushpig with me as soon as she gets back to my setup in Hluhluwe.
I cant wait.

Posts: 423 | Location: Natal - South Africa | Registered: 23 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
My wife has been with me on four of my seven safaris, and since accompanying me the first time, would now NEVER LET ME GO WITHOUT HER. We have had such a great time together in Africa that I'm not sure I'd want to go without her either. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
I was planning to take my wife, then I read the Macomber story. Big Grin

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Took my wife for the first time last year, to Masiland..worried like heck that she would enjoy herself..She went everyday..12hrs ...and had the time of her life...your wife will love it...just encourage her to ride along the first day....

Posts: 558 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mark DeWet
posted Hide Post
I HAD a client who hunted with me on numerous occassions - his wife had no interest in coming to Africa, until one day she changed her mind and said she would go with him on ONE safari !
She enjoyed it so much, that she started hunting as well. They came back on 4 safaris both shooting a mixed bag of species each time. The last time I spoke with him about booking another hunt, he declined - says it's too expensive for both of them to be hunting - and he cant hunt as often as he used to - however he did say he is planning to sneak away with out her !
I like wives on safari - especially if they are good shots - keeps us egotistical males humble and the camp civilised. Never ceases to amaze me how gentlemanly we are when they are in camp !

Mark

Mark DeWet
Mark DeWet Safaris - Africa
E-mail: marksafex@icon.co.za

... purveyors of traditional African safaris

Posts: 86 | Location: Southern Africa | Registered: 25 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sue
posted Hide Post
This month was the first time I chose a sightseeing and spa journey while Jim was hunting leopard up in the Limpopo. The last four trips to Africa I was on the hunt everyday, all day.

This trip I saw ten days worth of sights I ordinarily would not have seen on just a "hunt" trip. I even spent ½ a day in a spa at the Ndlovu Lodge. It was NICE!!!!!!!!!!! And, it beat the crap out of getting tick bite fever, hands down.

However, I found my mind wandering off daily longing for a ride in the bush or to be on a stalk, creeping through the thorns trying desperately to keep all of the camera and video equipment quiet. Capris and sandals are okay, but I missed my hunting clothes and boots.

Next time, back to the hunt, with a side trip tacked onto the end.

Posts: 276 | Location: VA/WV borderlands | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of citori
posted Hide Post
Tell her to try accompanying you on the first day hunting. She'll never let you go alone again. On our safari to Tanzania we saw so many animals while hunting that Ngorogoro Crater was a letdown afterward. My wife said the crater would be nice if we had it to ourselves like on the concession.

Tanzania in 2006! Had 141 posts on prior forum as citori3.

Posts: 266 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
It was a lot cheaper before she came along the first time!

She really likes hunting and Africa just makes the experience that much better for her.

We just got back from Africa and even though she couldn't hunt because of some lingering injuries from a motorcycle accident (solo on HER motorcycle), she still went out every day, all day with me.

We finished this latest trip with a 4 day, 3 night stay in a house boat on the Chobe River fishing and touring. That actually was a great time, even though I'm not much of a fisherman any more.

I had to book a trip in 2012 already since I promised my nephew I'd take him to Africa. It'll be a good excuse for me to hunt Buff in Mozambique again. Don't think she'll come along on that one, but I'm sure we'll have another one planned together again soon.

Just be ready, you'll likely be bringing her along on any subsequent trips once she experiences Africa for the first time.

If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947

Posts: 676 | Location: Spring Branch, TX (Summers in Northern MN) | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
My wife has been on four safaris with me and is not a hunter. She takes pics and goes out for half day rides when not to hot. Stays in camp and has her Kindle with her.
She loves the wildness of Tanzania.

Mike
One of her photos everybody is in it...

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
After my first hunt I told wife 'you should go'. She wouldn't. On second hunt I videoed the guest quarters in particular the bathrooms. Upon my return I showed her the video and upon seeing the bathrooms she said 'I want to go'. I have taken her twice (and my elderly mother once) and they are both huge fans. Wife subsequently shot her first 'trophies' (a warthog, kudu, and gemsbok) and is a confirmed hunter. She's not an every-day-for-10-days-in-a-row-hunter. But she will go out and whack something then hang out by the pool or go on side trips type companion. Bottom line....she loves Africa and is a big supporter of African hunting.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
My wife went because she wanted to do the Kruger Park tour, but had no intention of getting up before daylight to go hunting with me. She ended up going on every stalk. She really enjoyed the scenery, wildlife, and taking photos.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 633 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I would only take my own wife. Taking other men's wives tends to get complicated fast.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13389 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
My wife and I are going on our 6th safari together on the 15th of April. We are going to Namibia for the third time. She hunts with a camera and has been by my side for every Arfican animal I have shot except my Buffalo. They wouldn't let her go because they thought it was too dangerous. As it turned out, it was. She loves Windhoek, the Khomas Hoekland and the Kalihari and all the people. She stalked a herd of Giraff's in S.A. and got some great pic's. I can't imagine going to Affrica without her............Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
I think everyone should take their wife to Africa. My wife has been 3 of the 4 times I've hunted over there. The first time was the best, though. We weren't married yet, and if she didn't like Africa and hunting, it was unlikely that we were going to get married (though I never told her that!). Best part....she got chased up a tree by a buffalo! Since she was able to laugh about it later, I figured she might not be too bad to keep around, and she's put up with me for 26 years since that first safari.

Posts: 3855 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
I took my wife on my first hunt as an observer. She took an impala on that hunt and she returned in 2008 and hunted with me. It does make the hunt more expensive though.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunter's Wife-To-Be
posted Hide Post
quote:
if she didn't like Africa and hunting, it was unlikely that we were going to get married (though I never told her that!)

Perhaps I better heed this for my first trip in summer 2010!

Posts: 49 | Location: La-La Land | Registered: 07 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish my wife did like to hunt. We have been together 36 years. When she is asked,"why don't you go with him to Africa? her reply is the same,,, I want him to have fun and enjoy himself. No matter what I say, she has no desire to go and I respect her decision. If she did like it no telling how many safaris I would go on. I am somewhat envious of you guys whose wives do like to hunt. I took her to Italy in May for 2 weeks on Lake Como,,, this summer I will venture to Aussie land instead of Africa for the Asiatic Buf. and once again she says "it is not for her". So one year,, family trip,, next year hunt,,,not a bad deal anyway you look at it. She is extremely fair complected and even with sunscreens and long sleeves, big hat she sunburns terribly so hunting and fishing, the beaches etc. are not her friend just like shopping malls are not mine. She will be at the Dallas Safari Club in January,,, she will look at the clothing and jewelry,, I will look at the guns and hunts. Sometime complete opposites mesh up pretty good. I assure you it has nothing to do with fear of guns either, she has a concealled carry permit and shoots a pistol as good as anyone,,, just not going to shoot for fun.

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your wife doesn't love safari as much as you, then my friend, your trophy judgment sucks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife and I were booked this year at Keerweder Safaris in Namibia, until a blood clot in her leg came back. Check them out. Second Generation, daughter and son-in-law actively helping out w/operation. Plenty for you wife to do if she doesn't hunt, about 2hrs from Windhoek for shopping.
She was planning for a day in Windhoek but that was it, said most shopping can be done at home, she was their for the hunting.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took my wife on her first ever hunt and our first trip to Namibia this last May. She went out with me in the field several times and even witnessed my first two kills: a gemsbok and blue wildebeest and she was OK, even though she had been telling me for years that she didn't think it was for her. She immensely enjoyed seeing all the wildlife and was a great trooper. Next time, we'll do more sightseeing and photo safariing but she is definitely "in" for a future trip. Her agreement will make it a heck of a lot easier to spend the bucks necessary to go to Africa again....soon, I hope.

Posts: 64 | Location: alaska | Registered: 02 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Hunters wife to be, you have to tell your sweety that you want him to buy you a short hunt, just like some guy on AR did for his then fiance. I bought my wife a short hunt to go along with my 24 day hunt, and she took an impala, a kudu and a sable. She found out it was pretty cool to hunt. Of course, once kids came along I haven't been able to get her into the field any longer. Oh well.

Posts: 3855 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Karl S:
quote:
What do the wives have to do in camp-farm house-ranch house while we hunt? Can they shop somewhere or go site seeing?

Depending on the outfit, but if they are close to Windhoek, or Swakopmund, the wifes enjoy shopping in these 2 towns. Or they can go on sight seeing tours or stay in camp and read/ relax a day or so.

Karl, when you come to the States make sure you send your wife to Compton, California -- it's a lovely place to shop as well.

Mauser, don't let your wife go to Windhoek (if you think much of her). We had a truck full of guns and I still didn't care for it. When virturally everything is surrounded by block walls with barbed wire, razor wire, electrified wire, or a combination of the aforementioned, I don't consider that to be a good place for the wife to explore.

Posts: 122 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 20 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunter's Wife-To-Be
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hunters wife to be, you have to tell your sweety that you want him to buy you a short hunt, just like some guy on AR did for his then fiance.

CAelknuts, I will be hunting on our trip and I'm really looking forward to it!

Posts: 49 | Location: La-La Land | Registered: 07 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A hunting trip without the missus would not be the same. If you can't share the excitement of the hunt and the splendour of the great outdoors with your best friend then you are all the poorer for it. Take the time to explain all the sights and sounds, keep her involved, share your passion. If she is gun-shy then arm her with a camera. My wife bowhunts and we act as a team in the field, one spotting for the other.A better hunting partner I could not ask for.
JCHB

Posts: 412 | Location: KZN province South Africa | Registered: 24 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
HWTB, just wait until you get to take kids along, that's the best of all! I just wish I hadn't waited until they were 18 and 21 to take them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
My wife has been on four safaris with me and is not a hunter. She takes pics and goes out for half day rides when not to hot. Stays in camp and has her Kindle with her.
She loves the wildness of Tanzania.

Mike
One of her photos everybody is in it...

So which one is she... ? Wink

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
"She takes pics. . ." Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
I personally have seen some remarkable changes in women when they come on safari. In all but one case it was all positive and the ladies just loved it. Safari hunting being a litte exotic, romantic and not such a grubby affair as a lot of NA hunts gives it an easy appeal to women. And who doesn 't like being waited on????

So to the original post Mauser 98 I think your wife will love it.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12867 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mu wife and I spent 2 weeks in the bush together on our honeymoon in 2006.. And she loved every minute of it.. She took a 24" impala while we were there.
She's been upset at the last 2 trips she wasnt able to make!

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JCHB:
A hunting trip without the missus would not be the same. If you can't share the excitement of the hunt and the splendour of the great outdoors with your best friend then you are all the poorer for it. Take the time to explain all the sights and sounds, keep her involved, share your passion. If she is gun-shy then arm her with a camera. My wife bowhunts and we act as a team in the field, one spotting for the other.A better hunting partner I could not ask for.
JCHB

I have to say I agree whit JCHB. If your best friend isn't your wife, you missed the point. My wife loves Africa and says she doesn't hunt....wrong. She just doesn't pull the trigger, but has set up a couple of shots for me (while the PH was doing something else). Both are on the wall. She even field dressed a springbuck on our last hunt. Bloody to the elbows and grinning. You can't ask for more than that......Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote