Find
Notify
Tools

SCI Banquet Admission Costs
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted
I'm curious as to what the various SCI chapters charge for their admission to the yearly banquet. This year my local chapter is charging $80/ticket. I think this is a bit much considering I also pay a yearly membership fee and the food isn't that good.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are fund raisers. That is the purpose.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
They are fund raisers. That is the purpose.

Exactly!

Ours is $100

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Get involved and then food will improve
The money thing?
Yep, fundraiser, least we can do as hunters

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cheap at half the cost.

Posts: 94 | Location: South Eastern PA | Registered: 11 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
$85 I believe but we are free loaders that sit at a friends table that he buys every year.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I guess I've gotten my answer.

quote:
Originally posted by James Scott:
Cheap at half the cost.

Yea, it would be cheaper at half the cost and I would go at half the cost.

quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
Get involved and then food will improve
The money thing?
Yep, fundraiser, least we can do as hunters

No, the food is pretty bad and won't improve.

Sorry, when I pay for something, I expect to get some value in return and unfortunately, at $80 a shot, I'm not getting my needed value.

quote:
Originally posted by larryshores: They are fund raisers. That is the purpose.

I understand that. What many don't seem to understand is that there are diminishing returns. I doubt I'd get too many people to go if I told them about the banquet and that it would cost them $80 each for bad food. As a matter of fact, at the current ridiculous price, I'm not going so they're not only losing what could have been made by a reasonably priced ticket but also the several hundred or more dollars I would have left there.

quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit: $85 I believe but we are free loaders that sit at a friends table that he buys every year.

I'd go to at the free loader price.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth.....I'm the Alaska Chapter President. We had a two day fundraiser that ended last night. Friday is $55 and Saturday is $85. We really don't make money off the tickets. Our event is pretty big, so we have it both nights at a convention center. The cost of each person's dinner eats up pretty much the entire fee. Our dinners are pretty nice though. Also having a high price can help bring a qualified buyer by making people have skin in the game if they are going. Not wrong or right. Just some fundraising philosophy.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pretty small in the overall scheme of things really.

What is that about the cost of a box of premium ammo.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrettAKSCI:
Also having a high price can help bring a qualified buyer by making people have skin in the game if they are going. Not wrong or right. Just some fundraising philosophy.

I don't see anything wrong with seeing what the market will bear but if the prices are raised enough it will be so exclusive that only a few will go.

quote:
Originally posted by TexKD: Pretty small in the overall scheme of things really.

I must confess, I've never bought a box of premium ammo. My 460 Weatherby, 378 Weatherby, 458 Lott, 30/06 and a lot of other rifles and handguns have never seen anything besides handloads.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grumulkin:
quote:
Also having a high price can help bring a qualified buyer by making people have skin in the game if they are going. Not wrong or right. Just some fundraising philosophy.

I don't see anything wrong with seeing what the market will bear but if the prices are raised enough it will be so exclusive that only a few will go.

quote:
Originally posted by TexKD: Pretty small in the overall scheme of things really.

I must confess, I've never bought a box of premium ammo. My 460 Weatherby, 378 Weatherby, 458 Lott, 30/06 and a lot of other rifles and handguns have never seen anything besides handloads.

Sell a gun and go support the cause.

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
The Southwest Ohio Chapter is $65 or couple $120 includes open bar: wine, beer and hard liquor. We basically break even on the meals, bar and banquet hall.

Jim

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
It is after all a fundraiser

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.

“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will strongly agree with the original poster here. Houston Safari Club has monthly dinners, and it's 65per/person, and doesn't include alcohol, cash bar (they refuse to take credit, which is crazy considering the price of their drinks)...with the premium booze, which is Titos, certainly not a premium brand in my opinion, at $14.00 per drink. That's 1 ounce for $14.00...a 750ml of Titos is 18.95.

Now for me and the gf to go I'm looking at $150, for two drinks, a warm salad, hard roll, some piece of meat/veggie, and a frozen dessert.

So, I choose not to attend, not because I can't afford it, but it just seems ridiculous. Just because you have the money and are qualified to attend, doesn't mean you want to waste it. This adage of support the cause falls on deaf ears, because I would rather take that $1800 spend it hunting, which as we all know supports conservation.

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Central Washington Chapter, (Yakima, WA) we charged $55.00 at our December Banquet. You can all come to our chapter meeting and save a few bucks, of course you need to factor in transportation expense.

Tim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It as Mr. Williams correctly stated is a fundraiser for a worthy cause and the opportunity for like minded people to get together. If you do not like the food, then do not eat it. Your money is still going to support a worth cause and you will be amongst fellow shooters. If you want to cry about the cost of the food then send a donation which you can afford and feel proper to your chapter. It is not about having a free lunch unless you are a bloody liberal democrat!

Photobucket

Posts: 410 | Location: Benton, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: 16 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Have no idea what the cost is here. I have not been for the last several years as I am on a very restricted diet. I never had a complaint about the meal or the cost and I always sat with friends at a table he had paid for and I always bought a ticket as many have said it is a fundraiser. I don't really belong to a local chapter so it's one way to support the club. I always bought a few raffle tickets fully knowing I was not going to win anything,and other than a hat once I never did.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I belong to 2 chapters. One has a very casual fundraiser $35/person and buffet, lots of games and raffles. About 200 attendees and net around $5,000.

The other chapter's fundraiser is very upscale $150/person, wild game meal & appetizers, complimentary wine on the table. Has sold out every year 200 attendees. Net $30,000.

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I'm not certain that's a problem for us since we had over 1,300 attendees and raised well over $500,000.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
you mean 1/3 of Alaskans attended?? Roll Eyes

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13399 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fundraiser or not a lot of guys are getting priced out of being part of sci. everyone is just happy to have the same old same old with out realize how some of the younger people that we need can not just throw money around just because. Ever dollar counts but numbers of people hunting counts also and sci is getting over priced period.

Posts: 576 | Location: macungie , Pa | Registered: 21 March 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'm not certain that's a problem for us since we had over 1,300 attendees and raised well over $500,000.

Brett

What an amazing fundraiser. Congratulations! And you have to give how much to Arizona headquarters? Is it 40%. I would love to see this money stay in AK and you nice gents do what Dallas did and begin an Alaska Safari Club and keep all of Alaska's talent and money in the state. If you should ever put this to the membership, count me in. I'll join and vote and will volunteer to do your newsletter or magazine, display doubles, etc.
I just saw the January 2014 issue of SCI's magazine. It is not much of a hunter's magazine anymore neither is it a hunter's organization anymore. Some rich guy showing off his groomed horses and groomed daughter, jewelry, high fenced hunting (or shooting) etc. Of course, all this rides on the backs of the membership who are, for the most part, ignored as unimportant, unworthy, and unwealthy enough to be any part of SCI.
Again, I would love to see an AK Safari Club. Look what Dallas did, how successful they are, and I doubt when they started they were raising a half million in their fundraiser. Brett, you're the president and a great guy. I would like to see your talents work to develop Alaska's equivalent of Dallas.
Cheers,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Vining:
The Central Washington Chapter, (Yakima, WA) we charged $55.00 at our December Banquet. You can all come to our chapter meeting and save a few bucks, of course you need to factor in transportation expense.

That is a bit more reasonable and I would go to yours before I'd go to the local one which is less than a mile from one of our residences.

quote:
Originally posted by bcap:
Fundraiser or not a lot of guys are getting priced out of being part of sci. everyone is just happy to have the same old same old with out realize how some of the younger people that we need can not just throw money around just because. Ever dollar counts but numbers of people hunting counts also and sci is getting over priced period.

Exactly.

quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
I just saw the January 2014 issue of SCI's magazine. It is not much of a hunter's magazine anymore neither is it a hunter's organization anymore. Some rich guy showing off his groomed horses and groomed daughter, jewelry, high fenced hunting (or shooting) etc. Of course, all this rides on the backs of the membership who are, for the most part, ignored as unimportant, unworthy, and unwealthy enough to be any part of SCI.

I agree with you. I also like your idea of an Alaska equivalent of the Dallas Safari Club.

I've been a life member of the NRA for over 2 decades. I belong to Pheasants Forever and enjoy their yearly fundraiser. When my 3 year membership in SCI expires this year, I'll probably not renew it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SCI, even on our local level, has become more of a pecker measuring contest than anything else.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
the future of hunting hinges on recruitment of young hunters- and at $200 or so per couple( counting adult drinks) for a dinner plus $100/year to be a member, you are not going to enlarge the pool.....not to mention another $300+ to attend the convention- assuming you are lucky enough to live in LV and don't have to travel.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13399 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn, one of the best descriptions I have heard! I agree that it is not what it used to be.

quote:
Originally posted by JGRaider:
SCI, even on our local level, has become more of a pecker measuring contest than anything else.

Posts: 58 | Location: Chile | Registered: 07 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I belong to 2 chapters. One has a very casual fundraiser $35/person and buffet, lots of games and raffles. About 200 attendees and net around $5,000.The other chapter's fundraiser is very upscale $150/person, wild game meal & appetizers, complimentary wine on the table. Has sold out every year 200 attendees. Net $30,000.

Probably going to get my butt kicked here for this, but I'm going to do it anyway.
IT'S A FUNDRAISER!!!!!
The whole idea behind these events no matter who puts them on is to raise cash for their organization.
200 people paying $35 raise $5,000 or 200 paying $150 raising $30,000. That's 25grand more raised with the same amount of people & probably not that much more effort put into it.
I sponsor a table or 2 at our NRA banquet each year & I invite people that spend money, if they don't they don't get invited next year.
IT'S A FUND RAISER!

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen:

I can tell you, as someone who has hosted many events in my life, the cost for meals at these events is astounding. It is ALWAYS much more than it seems it should be.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gentlemen:

I can tell you, as someone who has hosted many events in my life, the cost for meals at these events is astounding. It is ALWAYS much more than it seems it should be.

Amen, brother.

Karl

Karl Evans

Posts: 2901 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gentlemen:

OK, give me a concrete example. You know, dollars cost per plate.

Let's say there is an establishment that serves restaurant type food and also hosts various events. In their restaurant you can take up space for a couple of hours or longer if you like for no cost except the food. At an average place you can spend $35 or $40 per couple for a meal ordering what you like. Then compare that to an event where food is mass produced for several hundred customers, with few or no choices for subquality food. If you're paying a lot for that you're getting ripped off.

I understand the thing about fundraisers, supporting conservation, etc. At the same time I have my limits to coerced participation. So, rather than pay SCI membership dues, pay additional banquet ticket fees and purchase raffle tickets and auction items, I'll just elect to pay none of those. Instead, I'll participate in other conservation and hunting activities that haven't become so hoity toity.

And for those who can raise thousands of dollars for SCI, I applaud you. It just won't be from me.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Wow! An SCI bashing thread! Imagine that!

killpc

horse

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Gentlemen:

OK, give me a concrete example. You know, dollars cost per plate.

Let's say there is an establishment that serves restaurant type food and also hosts various events. In their restaurant you can take up space for a couple of hours or longer if you like for no cost except the food. At an average place you can spend $35 or $40 per couple for a meal ordering what you like. Then compare that to an event where food is mass produced for several hundred customers, with few or no choices for subquality food. If you're paying a lot for that you're getting ripped off.

I understand the thing about fundraisers, supporting conservation, etc. At the same time I have my limits to coerced participation. So, rather than pay SCI membership dues, pay additional banquet ticket fees and purchase raffle tickets and auction items, I'll just elect to pay none of those. Instead, I'll participate in other conservation and hunting activities that haven't become so hoity toity.

And for those who can raise thousands of dollars for SCI, I applaud you. It just won't be from me.

I just had an event 1/3. $72 per person for dinner. It was not particularly lavish.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
Wow! An SCI bashing thread! Imagine that!

killpc

horse

They worked very hard for years to bring this upon themselves.

And well deserved too, may be not in this instance though.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68678 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just had an event 1/3. $72 per person for dinner. It was not particularly lavish.

That IS a lot.

Sorry to hear you were ripped off.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Actually, if they fund raising, that does not sound very much at all, as the purpose is raise money.

But, I find it hard to believe that practically everyone complains about the food.

Why cannot the organizers pick the menu?

And if they do, why do they pick something that seems to be unliked by most attendees?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68678 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just about everyone complains about food that was picked for them, although I must say the standard in the US at banquets seems better than where I live.

As for comparing it to restaurant price - it doesnt worrk that way. Restaurant provides the same product and service, night after night. They can cut costs however they see fit. Caterer works to provide only a couple of specialised events every week - a completely different business.

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
How about pot of pork and beans, which is rather tasty and bring your own likker?
It's an idea
Maybe do it at someone's place that's big enough to accommodate couple hundred guys, roast a pig and voila...
I still like SCI no matter what anybody says
Piss on you naysayers

“ Hávamál”

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Someone asked me to post the following message for them.
----------------------------------------------

Larry, do me a favor share with AR - our local SCI banquet coming up 4/11/15 will have tickets $65 single, couples $120 and sponsors $360. The dinner is open appetizer tables with shrimp, assorted meats, cheese and fruit etc. The entre is steak (filet) starch, veg, salad and desert. Open bar from opening until closing. 2 or 3 brands of draft beer , red and white wine and top shelf hard liquor. We break even on the tickets and make our monies from games and auctions. We raise about $30,000 for the evening. That is on income of about $80,000.

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Great Larry.
I go to SCI banquet to help raise money. Food? Last thing on my mind.
I'd rather be a bit hungry, but have few drinks with guys that love to do same thing ( hunt ) and spend few bucks for support.

“ Hávamál”

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting how rather than support each organization, SCI, HSC, DSC or the BSC. We are all Life Members of the SCI but are happy that everyone belongs to some organization. The amusing ting is those who shead big tears about paying to go to a banquet. If you cannot afford the cost, great stay home and open a can of beans. Save your tears for the AGM and suggest that the fees should be reduced. Support your organizations and do not critisie others for belonging to another Club.

Photobucket

Posts: 410 | Location: Benton, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: 16 December 2011Reply With Quote