THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Who are the Best PHs for these 3 Categories of Game

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who are the Best PHs for these 3 Categories of Game
 Login/Join

posted
1. Jumbo

2. Cape Buffalo

3. Lion and Leopard

The Mark Sullivan thread has got me to thinking. I have heard from others that he is a good PH who produces good trophies for his clients but is lacking in other areas, e.g. shoots animals for his clients, hits on their wives, etc. Likewise, there are other PHs who provide a great experience but for whatever reason; hunting a bad area, lack of skill judging animals, etc are great to hang with but don't produce consistently good heads or ivory.

So, in other words, who are the best PHs currently operating for these animals in terms of trophy quality AND quality of experience for the tourist hunter?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Johann Calitz in Botswana for elephant and Tanzania Game Trackers for the others. This is in my opinion and presuming money is no object.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I like Ivan Carter for Ele up close and personal.

An experienced DG PH for Leopard.

Same for Buff.

Ask Aaron Neilson about the best lionhunters as he has taken a bunch.

Area hunted is even more important than PH as the area must produce the game.

BTW, the "Best" is a subjective term. You will likely get many answers naming the PH respondents have hunted with to take the named game.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:

Same for Buff.

BTW, the "Best" is a subjective term. You will likely get many answers naming the PH respondents have hunted with to take the named game.

Mike,
I agree with LJS, no slam on Ivan but those Botswana guy's, they can judge ivory. The Zim guys struggle with truly large teeth. Skills they all have no problem there.

Nganga

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3529 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cortes:
1. Jumbo

2. Cape Buffalo

3. Lion and Leopard

The Mark Sullivan thread has got me to thinking. I have heard from others that he is a good PH who produces good trophies for his clients but is lacking in other areas, e.g. shoots animals for his clients, hits on their wives, etc. Likewise, there are other PHs who provide a great experience but for whatever reason; hunting a bad area, lack of skill judging animals, etc are great to hang with but don't produce consistently good heads or ivory.

So, in other words, who are the best PHs currently operating for these animals in terms of trophy quality AND quality of experience for the tourist hunter?

There isn't any BEST for any of the above.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jumbo: Buzz Charlton gets my vote.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Nganga,

I've no problem with Johann nor Buzz. This whole "best" business gives me some degree of heartburn.
Those Bots bulls that Johann hunts are (perhaps) the "best" Ele available today, although some good ones pass through Caprivi as well.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Every PH I've used has been tops. They have put me on the game I wanted. Made good evaluation of trophy quality. Made it look easy. Made my trip from wheels-down to wheels-up a pleasure. Having not hunted with any of those mentioned, I assume they're not bad either.

Posts: 13860 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best is the one who keeps you from geting bitten, scratched, chewed, sqweezed,smashed, sqwashed,or ripped open, on the hunt you just finished. Big Grin if your guy has a bad day your fubar

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:

Same for Buff.

As LionHunter says here, "Best" is a subjective term. More importantly in my opinion is to pick a quality area that has the type of game you are looking for, including trophy size. Doesn't necessarily mean you're gonna get the "biggest", but you need to fish where the big fish are!

Of course I have my favorites, and favorite places too. But that doesn't necessarily mean they are the "BEST". Frankly, I 'm not sure how you would measure such a thing? If you are looking for advice, I would speak with someone that has been to lots of places, and hunted with lots of guys, so as to get a broad spectrum of experience. Most importantly, location, location, location! Take the "best" hunter in the world and put him in an average area, with average trophies, and he can still only produce average results!!!

But just to play along, I will give some of my "favorite" PH's. Guys that I enjoy hunting with, and think they do a good job.

S.A. - Jan Dumon
Zim - Can't pick a favorite
Bots - Mike Murray
Zambia - Rich Bell-Cross
Tanzania - Darren Smit
Namibia - Hentie Van Heerden

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I have shot 2 ele and hope to add another before the 21st with Gordon Duncan

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of white north
posted Hide Post
Sarge Karim, from KWALATA gets my vote for Buffalo.
White North

Posts: 126 | Location: Arviat, Nunavut, CANADA | Registered: 02 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of G D F
posted Hide Post
Darren Smit for buffalo. I hunted with Darren my third buffalo hunt , he showed me exellent PH's job.

Posts: 146 | Location: Moscow,Russia | Registered: 03 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KPete
posted Hide Post
Elephant: Buzz Charlton
Cape Buffalo: Mark DeWet

Kim

Merkel Double .470 NE
Whitworth Express .375 H&H
Griffin & Howe .275 Rigby
Winchester M70 (pre-64) .30-06 & .270

"Cogito ergo venor" René Descartes on African Safari

one of us
posted Hide Post
There are way too many variables to conclusively pick the best PH hunting a particular species. Aaron hit on this in his post. Regardless of the talent of the PH if the area, camp, service etc are not in place the safari may not be a success. You also may have all the elements in alignment but just not mesh with the PH.

I'm going to throw out some names of excellent people and operations in several countries that I would highly recommend from personal expereince and the expereince of my clients. I think one thing to remember here is that a lot of extraordinarily good PH's have had no publicity, are not widely known but may be superbly talented at what they do.

Zimbabwe-You'll look hard to find better well rounded PH's than the Duckworth brothers.

Zambia-The DuPlooys produce a 99% chance at taking a leopard in daylight.

Tanzania-Obviously I'm going to recommend our own Tanzania Bundu Safaris. All the PH's are excellent and our track record on truly giant buffalo and big lion stands on its own.

RSA-Garry Kelly is my stand out favorite. he just has South Africa dialed and I personally think he is one of the best PH's working in Africa today.

Botswana- Clive Eaton is producing the best ranch hunt for kudu and eland that I've ever seen.

Mozambique- Johan Strasheim on the Zambesi Delta offers excellent hunting for several species and a unique buffalo hunt. I saw the most sable and waterbuck here that I've ever seen.

Nambibia- I had a mediocre expereince there years ago and have not returned. We have had several happy clients with Arub safaris though.

Cameroon-Charles Du Gasse is very good in the French manner of PHing. Excellent judge of trophy quality.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
1. Jumbo

2. Cape Buffalo

3. Lion and Leopard

Agreed. The "best" is the guy you like, have confidence in and helps give you a great opportunity.

Posts: 10362 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Agreed. The "best" is the guy you like, have confidence in and helps give you a great opportunity.

I think the idea here is to get steered in the right direction. Of course AFTER a safari you will have the info to make a better decision but before a safari asking who is highly recommended is just doing research.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
1. Jumbo

2. Cape Buffalo

3. Lion and Leopard

I agree whole-heartedly with Saeed here...many very good choices.

For all the above my money will always go to Nigel Theisen...because 1) he is a good hunter 2) he is a "good feller" (as we say in TX) 3) we get along well and 4) he is of the school that when a PH has a year where he never fires his rifle...he has done a good job as a PH

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37790 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a very subjective question and unless you have had the oppertunity to hunt with lots of Ph's in lots of areas you would have to just vote on popularity. The three I have meet would rank head and shoulders above anyone. OK OK OK everyone it head and shoulders above Steve but thats because his legs are woren down so short rotflmo rotflmo Steve, Philip and Nigel all have my vote for people to hunt with. If you can't have fun with these guys you just can't have fun.Thanks again guys for the trip and time of a life time

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PS.
If your going to share a camp with another Hunter you could not do much better than. Lane at soft spoken good humored guy. And when he talks listen close you might just learn a few things that are worth knowing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
quote:
1. Jumbo

2. Cape Buffalo

3. Lion and Leopard

I agree whole-heartedly with Saeed here...many very good choices.

For all the above my money will always go to Nigel Theisen...because 1) he is a good hunter 2) he is a "good feller" (as we say in TX) 3) we get along well and 4) he is of the school that when a PH has a year where he never fires his rifle...he has done a good job as a PH

I think that if the PH never fires his rifle in a year's hunting then the clients have also done a pretty good job as well. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
John Sharp for any of the above.Years of experience, soft spoken gentle giant. Totally 100% pro.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The question has no foundation and is unanswerable. This is not how the business works---or has ever worked.

114-R10David

Posts: 1753 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
If you want to hunt any game animal successfully, you must go to where those animals are located in good numbers.

In other words, you pick the place first, rather than the PH.

Even a relatively inept PH can be successful in an excellent, game-rich area - but it takes an excellent PH to be successful in a marginal area or under difficult conditions.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
MR, you hit the nail right on the head. In the Selous with PVT I have shot jumbo, buf and 2 leopards one a giant 200lbs and 8 feet long. not many cat hunters so Chui us abundant. R2 has water and lots of it. The Ruaha river on its northern boundry. You got water, you got life.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TWL:
The question has no foundation and is unanswerable. This is not how the business works---or has ever worked.

TWL,
I totally agree with you. Just as long as you steer clear of the unethical fellers...there are 100's of good choices for all...which on any given day...may shoot a better trophy than the other.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37790 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ahmed Sultan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
Every PH I've used has been tops. They have put me on the game I wanted. Made good evaluation of trophy quality. Made it look easy. Made my trip from wheels-down to wheels-up a pleasure. Having not hunted with any of those mentioned, I assume they're not bad either.

After few African Safaris, I have the same experience.

Ahmed Sultan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would steer clear of those who have ego's bigger than the game truck. rotflmo lucky for me I have not been around those fellas Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
The best PHs for Jumbo, Cape Buffalo, Lion, and Leopard are all the same person.

They are the consummate professional hunter - ethical, hardworking, and 100% committed to making sure you have the best possible safari.

They are also the beneficiaries of the best areas where trophy quality is outstanding and percentage of success is very high.

These rarely occur at the same time and are always in a state of flux, so the "best" today may not be the "best" tomorrow.

Calitz, for his part, has done a good job of staying at the top of the Botswana elephant programme for several years now. Even so, the government there is making it difficult for Johan with its new photo tourism push. No fault of his, but evidence of how hard it is to stay on top.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is like asking "what's the best caliber for plains game"?

There are many good PHs; there are not that many good areas for the species you mention. You need to think about areas first and PHs second. Unfortunately, the best places are also the most in demand, ie the most expensive. So an easy way to figure this out is to book the most expensive safari you can find, for the given species. More or less.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Gould:
So an easy way to figure this out is to book the most expensive safari you can find, for the given species. More or less.

Nothing could be further from the truth!!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Aaron,

Too right!

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah! I do not agree either that an expensive safari ALWAYS equals the best experience. As others have said pickng an area that produces the hunt you want and picking a reputable outfit is much more important. Unquestionably though some of the very best hunting is very expensive.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimFrosty
posted Hide Post
How long is a piece of string??
I totally agree with the comments that the decision is totally subjective.There are any number of 1st class PHs. At the end of the day its the guy who
1/ Keeps you safe
2/ Does his utmost to put you onto quality animals in an ethical manner
3/ Ensures his equipment and facilities are all in good serviceable condition
4/ Ensures you enjoy the HUNT. Remember that you wont get everything you want every time. Thats why it is called hunting.

Posts: 459 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 11 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
For dangerous game you will need a good area known for producing trophy class species, an outfit that is tuned in to their total surroundings and offers you a good nights sleep, reasonably decent food and most of all a PH who will stand his ground with a charging animal in case you throw your rifle down and run off screaming "We're all gonna die!" Many a life has been saved by the steadfast PH.
LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote