THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Is it just me or has Cabelas gone down??
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is it just me or has Cabelas gone down??
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I loved Dunn's back in the day, but Cabela's bought them and dissolved the company.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3446 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree that their quality has gone down as a whole. Their staff (at least in the CT store) is deplorable. Their in store selection is pretty decent most of the time, but inconsistent. I find myself much more apt to just shop their website than take the 45 min ride up to the store.

I will say that I've started buying a lot of my casual clothing from them. They've pretty nice khaki pants and button down shirts. I've always been a fan of their 3-pack wool socks, also.

Posts: 1443 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym 450/400:
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
I personally wish for a good solid mail-order/internet store again that has good stuff available. I live in the country and only 45 min from a Bass Pro and a Cabelas. They never have what I am looking for in stock...and I would rather take a whooping than drive through the traffic to get there.

I like to shop on my phone...long for the days of the old Cabelas and Herters.

Lane...try Scheels, its where I buy most of my stuff and they carry a good selection of brand names.

Scheels

^^^This^^^

The store in Billings isn't perfect, has creepy historical figure mannequins that must frighten children, but they're SO much better than Brand "C". Have been to the Cabela's store there and, at the time, they did have some very knowledgeable people in optics and firearms, reloading, etc. I just find their corporate model ishy and gross: copy good brands with Cabelas branded shite - thereby copying the real innovator with "R&D" which, in this case, stands for Ripoff and Duplicate.

Posts: 1070 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
In 2010 I was looking at a Slug gun for my wife (Rem 1100 20 ga.). I saw one at Dicks Sporting Goods but, wanted to see if Cabelas could beat the price. The lack of counter help was utterly amazing. After checking their inventory the sale person said "we don't have one." Ok. "Can you get one and what is the price?" Response "That will take some time to get in." Ok. "How long?" Response "Are you sure you want the Remington?" I said "never mind." And walked away. Most places would push the sale but, this sales clerk seems like he didn't want to do any work what so ever.

Fast forward to 2014. Getting ready to plant my food plot. Got to Cabelas and you would have thought it was Christmas. There was basically nothing on the shelves. Another customer and I were chatting about the lack of merchandise. A sale associate walked up and the other customer asked about "seed for food plots." He said "what you see is what we got. It's that time of year." My response was "you don't see grocery stores at Thanksgiving without turkeys just because it's that time of year."

I still go to the Cabelas near me (Hamburg, Pa.). It's mostly for odds and ends. This is after extensive research on the web for prices on what I'm looking for.

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 599 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
I've always thought their hunting merchandise was better than Bass Pro. I've had their credit card for years. Can't remember ever being impressed with their in-store employees, even immediately after the Austin store opened; similar to the Best Buy idiots wandering around the store, looking to ask another employee when they get off. Retail "help" is now, sadly, part of history.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
New Cabela's store coming to Albuquerque in a couple of months. I buy from them on line, so free shipping and no sales tax. Now everything will be 7% higher. Most likely won't due as much business with them now.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
How long until they're bankrupt I wonder?

Baretta682 should go to work for Cabelas. He has the exact bean counter mentality that is ruining everything that was once great about the American outdoors retail market.

No you do not have to cheapen your product quality and compete with Wal Mart to stay in business. Quite the opposite. Forget the big box retail market. Let the unwashed trailer park masses shop there. What is needed is high quality at competitive prices. Gear that actually works and is useable. It's not to be had at Cabelas for the most part.

I don't think he is about to work for anyone, let alone Cabela's, but he gave the best reply on the subject.

His comment about the risk arb spread betting is spot on as well - the odds of deal not going through is not due to the stock decline but instead the decline represents the lack of confidence in it closing.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
the unwashed trailer park masses

My mom shops at Wal Mart. She's 89.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
How long until they're bankrupt I wonder?

Baretta682 should go to work for Cabelas. He has the exact bean counter mentality that is ruining everything that was once great about the American outdoors retail market.

No you do not have to cheapen your product quality and compete with Wal Mart to stay in business. Quite the opposite. Forget the big box retail market. Let the unwashed trailer park masses shop there. What is needed is high quality at competitive prices. Gear that actually works and is useable. It's not to be had at Cabelas for the most part.

I don't think he is about to work for anyone, let alone Cabela's, but he gave the best reply on the subject.

His comment about the risk arb spread betting is spot on as well - the odds of deal not going through is not due to the stock decline but instead the decline represents the lack of confidence in it closing.

If the deal does not close, it's because Capital One pulled out of the credit card purchase.

Posts: 762 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote