21 - 30

or

30 - 45

??????

Should I vote twice?

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting results, I had my 35th birthday on safari last year. My wife is 2 years younger. The outfitter commented as to how happy he was to have some younger clients and that we were definitely the exception to his "average" client.

Posts: 1523 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Turned 48 last month.

AD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now Ray etc they are asking for our true age not the age we think we are or the age we act. jump beer

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Nelson:
I turned 29 less than a month ago and feel old. Can't imagine how some of you fossills feel. Wink

Chuck

Chuck, if you want to know how young 29 is, wait till your 68, going on 69, and look back and wish you were 29 again!
jump Roll Eyes

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rich Elliott:
I'll see 60 in a couple of months. Looks like Ray ain't even gonna answer. Wink

Rich Elliott

Hell Rich, Ray is the only one here that is older than me,and the bad part is by only 1 1/2 yrs! Maybe I shouldn't have answered either! bawling

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
I might have to get old, but I don't have to grow up! Older whiskey, younger women!

Posts: 421 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
I think I might have broken the age groups up a little differently:
25 & younger
26-41
42-57
58-65
65+
It seems like physical attributes and fiscal attributes are more commonly grouped. But, HEY! What the hell do I know?
It's still interesting.
Dave

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeahhhhh I'm in the Popular group, lol jump

I'm 34 1/2 Wink

Thanks, Mark G
Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything. Genesis 9:3

Posts: 358 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: 14 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Picture of 577NitroExpress

Posted 26 August 2005 20:08
I'm 30. Do I post in:

21 - 30

or

30 - 45

??????

Should I vote twice?

577NitroExpress

In my world you are only 30 for about 3 months after your 30th birthday and then you are actually 31.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Picture of almostacowboy

Posted 26 August 2005 21:41
I think I might have broken the age groups up a little differently:
25 & younger
26-41
42-57
58-65
65+
It seems like physical attributes and fiscal attributes are more commonly grouped. But, HEY! What the hell do I know?
It's still interesting.
Dave

You have a point. I was actually thinking in terms of youth, teens and pre-grads, After 21 would follow early grads and young families, For those who can no longer be trusted and the family builders there is the 30 to 45 group, Some 45's and most up to 70 are experiencing emptying nests and retirements. After 70's are those who are enjoying spending their childrens' inheritence. I guess I don't know much either but it was all pretty much off the top of my head.
I firmly believe we need to start reaching out to the youth in America and get them out from in front of the video games and MTV's. It would also appear that there is room to start bringing AR to the retirees, bringing them into the computer age and expanding everyone's knowledge of this great resource.

Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a question???? What is this talk about OLD FARTS and OLD FOSSOLS? bewildered

HUMMMM, does this have something to do with being LONG OF TOOTH? sleep

I quess I need some help on how to vote! nut

I am only 39, born in 1946..... beer

Mauuuseerrr Rrriifffleee beer

Mauser Rifle

Mauser Rifle

Everyday is a great day, some days are just better than others!

Posts: 47 | Location: USA | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I knew there was a reason I feel lonesome on this forum if I'm only one of two.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, looking at the results of the poll, I am not suprised. The age group just shows a couple of things. One being that most have raised their children and got them through college and that the folks in the 45-60 group are more financialy able to pursue an hunting experience, where ever it is. I know from my own experience, when I was 30 years old, I could not pay attention, much less go to Africa hunting. I do know one thing, getting old is a priviledge granted to but a few. There are some 58,000 guys and some girls who did not make it past age 24 in my age group. They lost their lives in Vietnam.

Posts: 791 | Location: La Luz, New Mexico USA | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hate to think about it now but I wasted at least three good safaries between the age of 30 and 45. I had the cash and the family and the time to enjoy them all but spent the cash living like a fool on the edge of paradise. If only I knew then what I know now about where my real spirit has always been.
Then again it ain't over till the fat lady sings!

I like what JudgeG said. "Be irresponsible and do it".

Frank

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mauser Rifle:
I have a question???? What is this talk about OLD FARTS and OLD FOSSOLS? bewildered

HUMMMM, does this have something to do with being LONG OF TOOTH? sleep

I quess I need some help on how to vote! nut

I am only 39, born in 1946..... beer

Mauuuseerrr Rrriifffleee beer

Mauser Rifle

Jack Benny was 39 forever and still was 39 the day he died.

roflmao roflmao roflmao

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
I'm 57, and trying to work my way back to 35 somehow.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Time does fly...at 58 and counting, I hope I make Africa before....(the dream, since pre-teen), but then, school teacher salaries, etc. Arthur Olds

Posts: 201 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Hey Arthur, the only way I did it on a teacher's salary was to get another one on the side! Yeah, that idea that the 45-70 group has time and money is probably the answer. It sure is in my case, sort of.

Sarge

Holland's .375: One Planet, One Rifle . . . for one hundred years!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Stryker225
posted Hide Post
21 here, got my first handguns last month... weeeeee!! Big Grin

Posts: 1282 | Location: here | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well with 350 replies it would seem we have gotten replies from all who will respond.
The 45 and up group seem to be the ages most make the trip but the 30 group does seem to be holding their own.
Thanks all for participating.
Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
loboga, you missed the last of your sentence - more money!

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
36 and living life to the fullest...

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 782 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 30 August 2005 18:39
loboga, you missed the last of your sentence - more money!

That may be a temproary situation since those in jobs which have been stable are being displaced by the young in more volatile positions. I seem to know a lot of young computer/age people with lots of disposable income. Not many of them are also into major hunting but from the looks of the poll there are many younger individuals and couples who are using their income to get them on safari.
Frank

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
40 here. Last year I turned 39 while hunting buffalo. This year missed out on that as I had to be home. Maybe for 41 I can be hunting elephant next year. thumb

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I cant believe but i am 54 sounds kind of old when i say it---luckily i have a 4yr old daughter to keep me young--dont feel any different than i did at 30.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NitroX:
40 here. Last year I turned 39 while hunting buffalo. This year missed out on that as I had to be home. Maybe for 41 I can be hunting elephant next year. thumb

Now! Folks here's a man with a plan! Go for it Nitro, you ain't gonna do it any younger, and take it from me you will be a lot older before you know it! Go get-um Hoss! beer

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm 50 I finally went to Africa last year. But I spent the first 33 years of my life screwing up in several ways: 1. Two ex-wives. 2. Nearly bankrupt twice (See reason #1, two ex-wives) 3. Working at jobs I hated, even though I made a truck load of cash I didn't spend much of it. (See #1, two ex-wives again.) Granted, I spent 15 of the last 17 years getting paid to take folks out hunting and fishing at least 8 months a year in Montana so I"ve been working real hard to straighten out my life. I'm back to just making money, but I get to spend it my way! Africa looks good for several more trips in the near future.

Why so many old farts? Money, many people don't hit their big money years until they are at least in their 40's. Time, even if you have some cash, raising a family is very time consuming and a safari might not be do-able just from a scheduling standpoint.

The first real book I ever read was John Hunter's autobiography Hunter. It lit the flame which has never died, no matter how small the flicker of light.

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Hey, where's the category for "Over 100"? jump

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:

Now! Folks here's a man with a plan! Go for it Nitro, you ain't gonna do it any younger, and take it from me you will be a lot older before you know it! Go get-um Hoss! beer

Mac

Like usual I didn't finish a sentence properly. I was hunting buffalo this year, just not on my birthday. I was TOLD I had to be home for my birthday this year for a party.

But it turned out well anyway. thumb

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
hijack

NitroX -- it is way past time to post a full hunt report! Inquiring minds want to know if you used your 9.3 and if so how if worked. Big Grin

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just thought I might add something to this. I returned yesterday from a bear hunt on which I was at age 63 the youngest hunter in camp. The elder statesman was a gentleman from Oregon, aged 97 years young, named Oscar Larson, who is on his 56th moose hunt (every year since 1949) as I type this. He doesn't remember how many total moose he has killed. Sure, he's a bit on the frail side, but sharp as a tack and a joy to converse with. His two hunting buddies were aged 79 and 65.

When my knee blew out in July, I was feeling a bit on the depressed side. Getting old is hell, and I felt like hell. A few days with Oscar and I am feeling much better now. Maybe with the grace of the creator of all things wise and wonderful, I might have another twenty years or so left to pursue my hunting career. On Sunday, Oscar's buddy, "Dude", took a young bull moose with one shot at a distance of 250 yards!

Let's hear it for us old guys! Hooaaaahhh!

THE LUCKIEST HUNTER ALIVE!

Posts: 853 | Location: St. Thomas, Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:
hijack

NitroX -- it is way past time to post a full hunt report! Inquiring minds want to know if you used your 9.3 and if so how if worked. Big Grin

Charles

I wish it was up too. Working through the 500 plus photos of my own, the numerous ones of my mate, and several hours of video footage. Probably will get 30 seconds off that. Big Grin

Soon.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:

Charles

I wish it was up too. Working through the 500 plus photos of my own, the numerous ones of my mate, and several hours of video footage. Probably will get 30 seconds off that. Big Grin

Soon.

I will be patient for at least the rest of the week...

hijack

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't remember if I voted. 64 going on puberty.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Of the members of this forum who have actually hunted in Africa, I wonder what the average age is? I also think we should have a poll with categories like: A) Looks like he knows what he is doing, B) Talks like he knows what he is doing, C) Actually knows what he is doing, and D) Doesn't understand the question. I try to be in category A and not talk too much.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll be 72 by the time I make it to Dallas this year. Contrary to popular belief I am not 106, just had some hard miles and been put up wet too many times so I look old....I have a little paunch but lots of hard muscle under the fat. its either that or quit eating, something I am opposed to...I have no reason to maintain my handsome and debonier approach these days so what the s--t, I ain't gonna starve and give up the last pleasure in quality life. and I'm still know to pop a cork now and then.

Frankly I don't feel any different than I did 50 years ago, guess I got used to the pain! beer or can't remember.

I still lead a very active lifestyle, I rope steers with my kids 3 times a week, but I gotta say the next morning the only thing that doesn't hurt is my eyebrows, and their a little sore!! But a bottle of advil, two spoonfulls of metamucil, two calcium, one Potashiam, some congloiten and a mult vit, all adminstered by my dear wife and tossed in the trash by me in a very neat and swift of hand move and I am on my way to another day, she would surly give me an ulcer if I took all that crap....

I just think my God that I can even get on a horse much less rope, I see so many that cannot get around at my age and many that are pushing up daiseys, and so many were good friends, thats the hardest part....

As to hunting, I have some bursitas from shooting big bores, hearing damage from shooting big bores and hunting with idiots who in the excitment of the moment let one go in my ears...some foot damage in the way of heel spurs and that effects my walking in that it hurts to walk, but I love to hunt so I just ignore it...

I tell you this so you can see what you all have to look forward to and in a very few cases it couldn't happen to better, more deserving folks! sofa jump

Never lose your since of humor, if you do you will surly die...I was told by a dear friend, "You should not be roping when you going to grow up" I told him never because I don't want to end up like you watching TV all day and night...

Your only as old as you let yourself become. trust me on this one.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the response Ray. There have been many people wondering when the truth of the matter would enlighten us.
I believe you are correct that most people age from the outside in and never get old as long as the fires burn brightly in the center of their being.
Thanks,
Frank

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I feel better now that there at least 3 of us "oldies" on this forum. I was starting to get lonesome.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CaneCorso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I'll be 72 by the time I make it to Dallas this year.
Your only as old as you let yourself become. trust me on this one.

One of the best things about the AR forum and community isn't just the banter about hunting and rifles; it's the life advice from people who know.

Thanks...

~~~

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
1 Corinthians 16:13

Posts: 622 | Location: CA, USA | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote