Find
Notify
Tools

Elephant Hunting in Zimbabwe
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
For those that have hunted elephant in Zimbabwe (trophy exportable, decent ivory but not necessarily huge) in the last four years, who are the top outfitters/professional hunters to talk to in lining up a hunt? Thanks.

Mike

Posts: 21378 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buzz Charlton of Charton McCallum Safaris. Hard working and ethical. I can recommend him without reservation.

Posts: 35 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Buzz is a great guy but it depends more on where you are hunting as opposed to the PH.

There are a few big elephant around Hwange and Gonarezhou, as seen in the Hunting Reports.

It depends on what you think is decent and how much money you have to spend. A lot of 50+ elephant hunts wind up as 25 or 30 lb. elephants. There are few hunts where you can count on 50+ tusks outside of Botswana.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19333 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Russ Broom Safaris

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Buzz Charlton
Email: buzzandmyles@cmsafaris.com

Buzz works with multiple operators and can arrange hunts in various concessions depending on what type of experience you are looking for (such as a tracking hunt vs truck hunt), trophy expectations, physical abilities, camp requirements, other game desired, etc. We'll be going on our 3rd hunt in March, and each has been to a different area, for a slightly different type of hunt. In my opinion he's the best you are likely to find, although I am sure there are other fine ele hunters in Zim.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
For those that have hunted elephant in Zimbabwe (trophy exportable, decent ivory but not necessarily huge) in the last four years, who are the top outfitters/professional hunters to talk to in lining up a hunt? Thanks.

Check out John Sharp. These tusk are 90.9 for the left and 72 for the right and were taken a few months ago. I have hunted with him for 2 years in a row..You wont find a better PH..steve

http://www.john-sharp-safaris.com/

Here is his Johns account :

The client was Ola from Norway. His rifle and clothing never arrived in Bulawayo so he had to borrow a rifle from me. He eventually recovered his luggage in London on his way home. He was not aware of the pitfalls of traveling through London with firearms and did not make use of the courier service!

The area is called Sengwe II and it borders onto Mozambique and Kruger National Park (South Africa). These Elephant cross into the communal area from Kruger and our Gona re Zhou National Park to feed as the food in the Parks is depleted at this time of the year. The bulls mostly cross in and out at night and some hunters do shoot them at night with a light but this is not my scene! Like Tsholotsho, this is a hit or miss area and you do need a certain amount of luck.

We ascertained that the most movement was across the Limpopo from Kruger as opposed to Gona re Zhou on the other side. We camped in the dry Limpopo riverbed the night before and waking very early we started walking towards Mozambique at first light (4.45am). Pretty close to the boundary of Mozambique we saw this lone bull as he was about to cross the river back into Kruger – there was little doubt that he was a shooter! We advanced on him as quickly as we could and he soon became nervous as there is not much cover in the riverbed - then to our amazement he turned back onto our side. I instructed the client to take a 50-yard body shot with my .375 H&H and as the bull took off he followed up with two more shots, the third solid clipping the spine as the animal disappeared over the bank. We saw it collapse with the spine shot and it was dead by the time we got to it. Ola’s first shot had been perfect, taking it in the heart/lung area. This magnificent bull was taken at 5.45am.

We have managed so far to pull the longest tusk which weighed in at 89lbs. The shorter tusk is not yet free but I estimate that it should be around the 85lb mark as it is considerably thicker than the other one. Both tusks measured 20†at the lip. This was an old bull on his last set of teeth, probably around 65 to 75 years old, and my personal best.

Posts: 297 | Location: california | Registered: 20 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
LJS:
I just got an e-mail from a PH friend, Martin Naude, who just got back from a 5 bull elephant hunt with Spanish clients. They hunted the Tjolota area in Zim. Biggest bull was 90 pounds. The others were 70+, 60+ and two in the mid 50s. It is really a good area for big bulls.

quote:
Tsholotsho South. The Tsholotsho region is geographically divided into a North and South Block. The South has always produced some very big bulls. The North only occasionally produces good ivory. ......

.... Lions Den and Thys DeVries ....

..... he PH was I believe Calvin Nobrega who has won a few of the past Zimbabwe Professional Hunters Awards for biggest elephant taken in Zim out of this concession. ......

From AR Thread "Big Elephant are out there"

I have seen photos of at least four 90+ elephants come out of that concession over the last ten years.

If you need contact details I will see if I can get them for you.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback. Any other suggestions?

Mike

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I hunted elephant with Russ Broom's outfit in late 2003 and was very happy with the hunt.

Jason Brown

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PWS
posted Hide Post
I've hunted with Russ Broom twice at the end of the rainy season (2002 & 2004) and would go back in a heartbeat for a quality hunt. Echoing what Will has said about big ivory, Zim in general is not a place to go with high expectations even though every year bruisers are taken. My bull went 44x35 and I set my standard at 50 the second hunt and walked away from five in the mid 40s (long story but the first one came so easy I made myself earn it the second trip). In a very basic sense, Russ's area is a mopane scrub communal area and the hunting involved a lot of interaction with the natives and crop raiders. That alone was quite a treat after having read so many stories. The area is also loaded with buff and leopard. From what I understand of hunts around Hwange, Gona-re-zhou, and he Bots border, they are more of an "interception" hunt, rolling the dice on catching a big bull in fair territory - but they also produce BIG on occasion. They also run a little more $$ as always happens when there's big ivory involved.

Posts: 1141 | Location: Kodiak | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I have posted a few times in the past, I am a friend of a man who has hunted trophy bull

elephant five times successfully with www.tshabezisafaris.com in the last four to

five years. The largest tusks were 71 and 72 pounds on a nice bull. The owner of the outfit

is Dudley Rogers. He's been licensed since 1986 I believe and I've not heard a bad word about

him or his other pro's.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lightning
posted Hide Post
Mark Butcher, Matapula Hunters...Has great tribal concessions that border Hwange National park.

Call Tommy Morrison. www.sportinginternational.com

Posts: 246 | Location: Argyle, TX | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Any other hunters with Buzz want to offer any comments?

Mike

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Just to add that Buzz is one of the most professional and knowledgable PHs I have ever hunted with. Good luck lining up the hunt of a lifetime!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7541 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I took a nice 45# Ele 3 years ago with Theo Bronkhorst of Bushman Safaris. It was between Hwange and Fuller Forrest in the Matetsi and he has some nice though not large Elephants. Good plains game and a nice camp overlooking a dam.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Recently hunted with Buzz's outfit-Alan Shearing was my PH.Highly recommended.
Saw lots of elephant-could not miss out.

Australia
I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror
The wide brown land for me!

Posts: 302 | Location: Australia | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Mike: Check out my post over on the African Hunting reports forum regarding "The Old Warrior Of Sengwe." Lots of good names posted here, but John Sharp works hard for you and I highly recommend him. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I have hunted ele with Buzz, excellent time, but mine was for tuskless. I highly recommend him.

~Ann

Posts: 19232 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have hunted with Buzz last summer for 4 elephants. Great team of trackers and can't imagine anyone being more experienced than Buzz on an elephant hunt now days. A very good recommendation for Buzz.

Now, a trophy elephant hunt is another thing and may be totally dependent on the time of year and the location. My interest was tuskless/PAC elephants.

Dak

Posts: 495 | Location: USA | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted with Buzz this year - excellent PH and very pleasant company. I was on crutches at the time and Buzz made plans around this and the hunt worked out really well.

mike

posted Hide Post
Mokore Safari... Barry Duckworth... need I say more? As for his other PH's... I'd choose Pete Ficke or Hilton Nichols. It really doesn't get better than that. Pete has 1000 elephant and 5000 Cape to his credit when with Parks. It isn't about getting into a herd of elephants, it is the geting out that counts.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Thanks for everyone's feedback and input. I have ended up booking my hunt with Buzz Charlton for late August and early September in the Makuti Area. Buzz was very responsive and a pleasure to deal with in setting up the hunt. Hunt will be for a trophy bull and Buzz is working on getting quota for a tuskless cow too. Now I just have to work on controlling my excitement for the next nine months.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Mike,

When at Dallas we will have to discuss ele hunting & shooting...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Absolutely. Over a beer of course . . . Wink

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning:
Mark Butcher, Matapula Hunters...Has great tribal concessions that border Hwange National park.

Call Tommy Morrison. www.sportinginternational.com

Another vote for Mark Butcher!!

DC300

Posts: 334 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 12 September 2004Reply With Quote