New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big Elephant are out there!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just got an e-mail from a PH friend, Martin Naude, who just got back from a 5 bull elephant hunt with Spanish clients. They hunted the Tjolota area in Zim. Biggest bull was 90 pounds. The others were 70+, 60+ and two in the mid 50s. It is really a good area for big bulls.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who is the operator in that area?

Thanks,

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
African Hunter:

I'll e-mail and ask but I believe it is Penny DeVries and I think his company is Lions Den Safaris.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
LJS
Great animals....any photos???
With 5 big bulls taken from the area, how many are left??
In which part of Zim is the location of Tjolota?? Are these big guys migrators???

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
These are the bulls they try to nail that accidentally stray out of Hwange during daylight. Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19333 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
They hunted the Tjolota area in Zim.

Don't know if you mean Tsholoto or not, but the area has been known for it's quality elephant for awhile.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7541 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Smiler This is great news! Let us be hopeful that the game populations of AFRICA continue to improve.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lightning
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
quote:
They hunted the Tjolota area in Zim.

Don't know if you mean Tsholoto or not, but the area has been known for it's quality elephant for awhile.

I think that is what he meant. I hunted there this year. My elephant was 54 lbs.

Yes it is the elephants that come out of the park, right off of the Botswana border. Same elephants many of the Botswana guys are taking.

Posts: 246 | Location: Argyle, TX | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
"I just got an e-mail from a PH friend, Martin Naude, who just got back from a 5 bull elephant hunt with Spanish clients. They hunted the Tjolota area in Zim. Biggest bull was 90 pounds. The others were 70+, 60+ and two in the mid 50s. It is really a good area for big bulls."

LJS:

Would you please send Martin's email address to me at

billrquimby@cs.com

He was a PH for another hunter in S.E. Pretorius's Westwood Wildlife Safaris camp in Zim's Matetsi on my first trip to Africa in 1983 and I'd like to touch bases with him again.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LJS:
African Hunter:

I'll e-mail and ask but I believe it is Penny DeVries and I think his company is Lions Den Safaris.

Pen de Vries with a French client shot a very good bull in the Tsholotsho or Sikumi Forest areas a few years ago, plus another elephant, both 90 lbs plus.

If the report is accurate it is good to hear he is hunting in Zimbabwe again. I hope to catch up with him when he gets back. Hopefully the story is true! beer

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LJS:
African Hunter:

Website?

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe Lion's Den is represented by John Barth of Dakota Safaris. He posts here from time to time.

Brett

one of us
posted Hide Post
The area is Tsholotsho South. The Tsholotsho region is geographically divided into a North and South Block. The South has always produced some very big bulls. The North only occasionally produces good ivory.

And yes, my company Adventure Unlimited is the booking agent for Lions Den and Thys DeVries (Penny's brother). Penny use to hunt for Lions Den (family company) but moved to Australia and is doing some hunting in Tanzania now. The concession is legally operated by Jack Andrews who works in partnership with Thys on several different ventures.

We only do a few hunts in Tsholotsho every year as Lions Den has primarily focused their hunting in the Botswana Chobe concession.

The PH was I believe Calvin Nobrega who has won a few of the past Zimbabwe Professional Hunters Awards for biggest elephant taken in Zim out of this concession. He also works for us full time in the Botswana block.

If anyone wants more details on either of their operations please just let me know and I can send you an email.

Regards,
John Barth
safaris@trip.net

Posts: 157 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John:
Thank you for the clarification. I had enough information to be dangerous. Martin mentioned the elephants in passing but my eyes lit up when I saw the 90 pounder. The DeVries family are very nice people and the accommodations I visited when hunting with Rosslyn Safaris on the adjacent property were first class.