New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: What gun did you use?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I used a Rem. Model 700 in .338 Win. Mag. with 225 Gr. Nosler Partitions over H4831. Shot Warthog, Impala, Zebra, Kudu, Red Hartebest, and Eland. Worked great. All one shot kills except the Eland. He just didn't know he was dead after the first shot through the lungs, so I gave him two more.

Mr. Mike - Good to see that photo of you with the Kudu again. I remember it well, since I took the picture. You forgot to mention that your 338/06 also worked on the springhare. That was an impressive shot.

Posts: 74 | Location: USA | Registered: 05 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
both my model 70's have had trigger jobs, as have my son's model 700's. I guess that it's possible to get an American made rifle with a decent trigger pull, but I haven't one.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most factory guns are a platform on which to build. How much you have to build depends on your pocket book as well as accuracy/reliability. If it all works great and shoots great out of the box you got little to do. Mine all seem to have a 12# trigger pull, poor bedding, ugly stocks etc. and need lots of tinkering.
Oh, by the way I might go so far as to answer your question. First time I used a 300 win mag. My son used a 30-06 with partitions in both. Last year we used 375 H&H and a 416 Rigby. Swift A-Frames in 300 and 400 respectively. Good hunting. D

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
2002: Win. Model 70 Classic Stainless, .375 H&H, 270 grain Swift A-Frames � Eland, blue wildebeest, zebra, kudu, impala, gemsbok, steinbok.

The rifle was JJHack's, since I was unable to transport my own firearms through the US. I was quite pleased with JJ's rifle and had been practicing with my own M70 375H&H up until I found out I couldn't take it. I dubbed JJ's rifle his "Majic Wand" because all I had to do was wave that sucker in the direction of the animal I wanted and it would fall over in its tracks!!

MrMike and Labman: Always great to see you guys here! Nice pic, MrMike! Wish I had gone out with you guys the night you whacked the springhare...that would have made a great video from what I heard.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote