New
Find
Notify
Tools

SCI Foundation Newsletter
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Thought some might be interested in info here.

http://member.safariclubfounda...rg/newsletter/14/01/

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Matt!

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the post Matt. WOW a million dollars JUST for the Lion. Lion live in Africa right? So that's a million dollars going to Africa projects? Sounds good to me. coffee

I am sure after this years Convention there will be MORE funds headed for this project.

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life Member
Sabatti "trash" Shooter

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW!!!!!

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What, no noise from the complaining ones??? How interesting. coffee

Larry Sellers
Sabatti "trash" Shooter

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:

Larry Sellers
Sabatti "trash" Shooter
Don't provoke them Larry!! Good boy!! Big Grin

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK Matt, it is kinda nice not to hear the same old same old BS.

Larry Sellers
SCI (International) Life Member
Sabatti "trash" Shooter

quote:
Originally posted by Matt Graham:
quote:

Larry Sellers
Sabatti "trash" Shooter
Don't provoke them Larry!! Good boy!! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aw come on guys, where are Steve, Saeed etc.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
A good outline of how SCI is fostering conservation.
I would like to see a specific dollar amount donated to each project.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I knew someone would not be satisfied.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
OK guys, I'll comment on the lackluster response to this thread. And firstly, realize I am a SCI supporter, serving on the BOD of my local chapter. I've taken many positions of support for SCI here on AR and will continue to do so, as I believe the good SCI does outweighs the issues the organization does have. Furthermore, correcting those issues can only be done by working from within, not throwing peanuts from the gallery. I've been accused of being one of the cheerleaders for SCI and so on. I start this commentary in this manner so that you remember where I have stood regarding SCI. I also try, maybe not always succeeded, but try to make fair and accurate comments without getting caught up in hyperbole and zealotry.

Personally, I find the information in the link to be underwhelming at best. Yes, there is some good information there but I would like a few more specifics. Now, let me say, I think SCI's strong suit and main purpose is lobbying for our interests and litigation rather than in the field projects, so that may be the problem here but when I hear of the chest thumping of "$1 million raised for the lion project", I want to hear more about it. The problem with this link is that is says "click here to read more details". So you do ... and find another link to click on to read details ... etc. What I want is some specifics such as the LCTF here on AR provided where the specific scientists were named, the exact studies they have conducted have been spelled out in detail, each scientists positions' posted, and their exact presentation to the USFWS comment committee was published word for word. Specifics!! Not just that we raised $1 million for the lion project!

So, when SCI originally refused to sign on to the "Definition of the Huntable Male Lion", it was stated, just weeks before the USFWS hearing, that a study would be commissioned by SCI using the leading lion scientists. As was asked by the LCTF, who are those leading lion scientists as it appeared most of the scientists at the fore of the lion issue had already conducted their research and SCI missed the boat. So again, I'll ask, who are the leading scientists working on the SCI Lion Project, what research have they conducted, and what are their findings? If the SCI Lion Project is not based in field work, but rather lobbying efforts, as was originally stated as the MO, what progress has been made? What law makers or regulatory officials have been approached, what affects on said officials have been achieved (what are their current positions regarding the uplisting), etc.

If we can get some specific commentary along these lines, I think the response here would be more enthusiastic.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes it would be good to see more details. I was just posting it here for members interest.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:

Larry Sellers
Sabatti "trash" Shooter

It is one thing saying we have given X amount of money.

But, WHERE has the money gone?

What specific projects were they given to?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68793 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Sorry for my delayed reply chaps....... Every time I try to load the page, it makes my computer freeze up so I can't see or do anything.

In the meantime can someone please tell me how much they've spent, what on & where etc?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw one report that showed they spent $200 on postage to send documents to Africa and then they spent $500 to bribe corrupt officials in Africa etc.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
OK guys, I'll comment on the lackluster response to this thread. And firstly, realize I am a SCI supporter, serving on the BOD of my local chapter. I've taken many positions of support for SCI here on AR and will continue to do so, as I believe the good SCI does outweighs the issues the organization does have. Furthermore, correcting those issues can only be done by working from within, not throwing peanuts from the gallery. I've been accused of being one of the cheerleaders for SCI and so on. I start this commentary in this manner so that you remember where I have stood regarding SCI. I also try, maybe not always succeeded, but try to make fair and accurate comments without getting caught up in hyperbole and zealotry.

Personally, I find the information in the link to be underwhelming at best. Yes, there is some good information there but I would like a few more specifics. Now, let me say, I think SCI's strong suit and main purpose is lobbying for our interests and litigation rather than in the field projects, so that may be the problem here but when I hear of the chest thumping of "$1 million raised for the lion project", I want to hear more about it. The problem with this link is that is says "click here to read more details". So you do ... and find another link to click on to read details ... etc. What I want is some specifics such as the LCTF here on AR provided where the specific scientists were named, the exact studies they have conducted have been spelled out in detail, each scientists positions' posted, and their exact presentation to the USFWS comment committee was published word for word. Specifics!! Not just that we raised $1 million for the lion project!

So, when SCI originally refused to sign on to the "Definition of the Huntable Male Lion", it was stated, just weeks before the USFWS hearing, that a study would be commissioned by SCI using the leading lion scientists. As was asked by the LCTF, who are those leading lion scientists as it appeared most of the scientists at the fore of the lion issue had already conducted their research and SCI missed the boat. So again, I'll ask, who are the leading scientists working on the SCI Lion Project, what research have they conducted, and what are their findings? If the SCI Lion Project is not based in field work, but rather lobbying efforts, as was originally stated as the MO, what progress has been made? What law makers or regulatory officials have been approached, what affects on said officials have been achieved (what are their current positions regarding the uplisting), etc.

If we can get some specific commentary along these lines, I think the response here would be more enthusiastic.

It would have been nice if SCI would have signed on to the document. It would have gone a long way towards building a coalition between hunters and scientists and proven to the USF&W Service "prior" to their deliberation that scientists and hunters were on the same page.

Now we wait for the USF&W verdict.

In defense of SCI...I do know some specific researchers on the ground getting SCI dollars. I do not know how many others they might support. It would be nice to know specifically who and what they are supporting.

Then again if USF&W rules the wrong way...it will be a moot point for us in the US.

SCI had no real reason to NOT support the definition. It took the teeth away from the petitioners and put science behind the hunters.

While science may not dissuade "the antis"...the USF&W is bound to rule on the science provided.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:

It would have been nice if SCI would have signed on to the document. It would have gone a long way towards building a coalition between hunters and scientists and proven to the USF&W Service "prior" to their deliberation that scientists and hunters were on the same page.

Now we wait for the USF&W verdict.

In defense of SCI...I do know some specific researchers on the ground getting SCI dollars. I do not know how many others they might support. It would be nice to know specifically who and what they are supporting.

Then again if USF&W rules the wrong way...it will be a moot point for us in the US.

SCI had no real reason to NOT support the definition. It took the teeth away from the petitioners and put science behind the hunters.

While science may not dissuade "the antis"...the USF&W is bound to rule on the science provided.

Agreed!

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I still can't load the page but reading the other comments, if the page doesn't clearly state how much they've spent, what on & where etc then it's useless....... perhaps some of the cheerleaders can tell me that info please?

One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
I knew someone would not be satisfied.

I didn't say I wasn't satisfied.
If your going to argue with the antis about lion conservation, it would be beneficial to have an exact dollar amount.
Example: SCI spent X amount of dollars on lion conservation last year. How much did your organization spend?

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They said they have raised 1 million they didn't say they have spent that monies as of yet. I believe they said they have a plan for the use of those funds. Why would they say they have raised the funds if they were not going to spend them on various lion projects? I am sure when they do spend the monies on Lion projects they will have not selected the proper projects or the correct amount of funds on the various projects.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
They said they have raised 1 million they didn't say they have spent that monies as of yet. I believe they said they have a plan for the use of those funds. Why would they say they have raised the funds if they were not going to spend them on various lion projects? I am sure when they do spend the monies on Lion projects they will have not selected the proper projects or the correct amount of funds on the various projects.

Thanks Ed....... It'd be interesting to know where the money came from & what projects they'll spend it on etc but not a bad start.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
quote:

Thanks Ed....... It'd be interesting to know where the money came from & what projects they'll spend it on etc but not a bad start.
How quickly we forget. The $1M was raised at the convention last year to establish the lion fund.

http://huntforever.wordpress.c...ns-and-lion-hunting/

lots more reading if you start searching. As others have said the exact fiigures and distribution may not be publicly shown - but it is going out to researchers. Without that reseach lion hunting will be gone and hunter fundraising for that area will be useless.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
So why has it taken a year from raising the money to announcing what they're going to do with it, let alone actually spending it?

That wasted year means another year closer to the end of lion hunting you mention? Wink

At that speed, they'll have spent it all on dodgy laptops & other things that are mentioned HERE before they get around to spending it on it's intended purpose!

animal animal animal animal animal animalanimal animal animal animal animal animal

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
quote:

How quickly we forget. The $1M was raised at the convention last year to establish the lion fund.

lots more reading if you start searching. As others have said the exact fiigures and distribution may not be publicly shown - but it is going out to researchers. Without that reseach lion hunting will be gone and hunter fundraising for that area will be useless.

Matt,
While I am an SCI member and active at the Chapter level...SCI really missed the boat on the Lion at least as it pertains to US hunters.

The "Definition of a Huntable Male Lion" was negotiated and written by myself with help from Aaron Neilson through the Lion Conservation Task Force Inc. It garnered a signature from the leader of just about every major lion reasearch group world wide. All saying lion hunting was OK as long as it centered its focus on these type of individuals.

It basically signed every research group on with hunters. Every group that the PETITIONERS could point at for having said hunting was doing harm...signed on to this document.

DSC endorsed it. SCI took it up twice in committee and took no action. In reality...SCI did little to put a positive spin on lion hunting and the real good it does for the species to USF&W.

So...at least for US hunters...who historically spent 60% of the lion hunting dollars...if the USF&W rules for the uplist to endangered...it could be over.

Time will tell. But in my 'informed' opinion...SCI handled it poorly.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lane - I dont know what the reasons are and if they were riight oor wrong in doing so.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lane - I dont know what the reasons are and if they were riight oor wrong in doing so.

Its crystal clear and quite likely they contributed in screwing the pooch (or in this case, the Lion)!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:
quote:

Its crystal clear and quite likely they contributed in screwing the pooch (or in this case, the Lion)!
How do you figure they 'screwed' the lion? Have their actions had any negative impact?

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lane, if it is truly about the hunt not scores or taxidermy what does it matter if the trophy is not importable. The hunter will still have photos and memories. That is what people say, eh. Wink

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lane, if it is truly about the hunt not scores or taxidermy what does it matter if the trophy is not importable. The hunter will still have photos and memories. That is what people say, eh. Wink

Have a full read of the Lacey Act sometime then come back and ask that again.

There is some language in the Lacey Act that could be used to litigate the actual act of the hunt.

It has not ever been done to my knowledge...but its implication is already being discussed by lawyers for the HSUS, Born Free, and such should the up-list come to pass.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:

Time will tell...but my suspicion is WRONG.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

There is some language in the Lacey Act that could be used to litigate the actual act of the hunt.

It has not ever been done to my knowledge...but its implication is already being discussed by lawyers for the HSUS, Born Free, and such should the up-list come to pass.
Lacey only kicks in if the action was actually illegal in the first place. Is that what you mean with regard to the lion definition?

Is it not correct that the TZ lion definition has already been used to screw hunters around with their lawful exports?

Maybe SCI saw that one coming?

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Lacey only kicks in if the action was actually illegal in the first place. Is that what you mean with regard to the lion definition?

Is it not correct that the TZ lion definition has already been used to screw hunters around with their lawful exports?

Matt,
If the lion is uplisted to endangered it then becomes illegal. It is illegal for a US citizen to hunt an endangered animal with certain listings...so it does depend on the exact listing. But...it can become a Lacey violation even without import.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Matt,
If the lion is uplisted to endangered it then becomes illegal. It is illegal for a US citizen to hunt an endangered animal with certain listings...so it does depend on the exact listing. But...it can become a Lacey violation even without import.
Well not too sure about that. What law would the hunter have broken if they hunted a lion legally and not imported it? None... My understanding is that Lacey doesnt kick in till you break a wildlife law in some jurisdiction. The endangered uplisting is related to the importation as I understand it.

So have the 'lion definitions' been used to screw hunters around already?

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Matt,
Well not too sure about that. What law would the hunter have broken if they hunted a lion legally and not imported it? None... My understanding is that Lacey doesnt kick in till you break a wildlife law in some jurisdiction. The endangered uplisting is related to the importation as I understand it.

So have the 'lion definitions' been used to screw hunters around already?

Then Matt you do not understand it fully. (No disrespect meant, just the truth) Nor do you understand the intent of the Petitioners (HSUS, Born Free, and the like). Sit down and read the Lacey Act some time...your eyes will open wide.

If the lion becomes listed endangered and not just listed as threatened like leopard...it then becomes a non-huntable species under US law. So even by hunting legally in Africa, and even without import, the "act of killing an endangered species" could be prosecutable in the US if you are a US citizen.

Mind you...I know of NO case law of such an occurrence...but that is what the Petitioners are sharpening their knives for. We may see the first with the rhino!

I certainly hope not...but I have been shown some email conversations between the legal minds of the Antis. That is their planned mode of attack.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you talking about the US govt listing or the IUCN listing?

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I am speaking of the Endangered Species Act (ESA) in the USA.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of the one million, 90% admin fee taken for the benefit of the inner circle? LOL

Posts: 133 | Location: Eskimo Point - CANADA | Registered: 23 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Lane, I understand what you are saying about the antis pushing for this but I'm not sure Lacey will apply in the event of uplisting, simply in the act of hunting lion without the import.

For instance, the polar bear has been uplisted to endangered, unless I'm mistaken on that. Currently, is it illegal for a U.S. citizen to hunt polar bear without importing the trophy?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am speaking of the Endangered Species Act (ESA) in the USA.
Do youu have a link to the actual listings?

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Savikataaq Jr:
Of the one million, 90% admin fee taken for the benefit of the inner circle? LOL

Clueless...

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV