THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    416 RIGBY HORNADY BULLETS FOR BUFFALO

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

416 RIGBY HORNADY BULLETS FOR BUFFALO
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted
Well I learned something new today. Juat got off the phone with the nice folks at Hornady. Well, I learned something new today regarding said bullets. I was looking at my small hoard of old style 400grain Hornady solids yesterday and as it turns out, there are THREE types of solids. Hornady originally made some 410s in the old style solids wit the cannelure about 1/3 from the bottom, but they haven't been in production for a long time. In order to duplicate their 400grain soft nose, Hornady dropped the 410 and made it a 400 with the cannelure well aft just like the 410. Then Remington came out with the 416 Remington, and the rifle's short throat would ot accept the bullets with the cannelure so far back. So, they built the 400grainers with the cannelure far forward . Just got back from the range in the rain. Yeah I'm nuts. The 400s shoot a bit closer to the 400grain Swifts ( which are the soft points I'm going to use)than the 410s, but really not enough to matter. No I'll put them to the "feeding test" and see who feeds better. Have any of youhad any first hand experience with any or all three? thansk, jorge

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Jorge,

Ray can probably speak from experience. He's older than dirt, and has likely used all three versions.

I believe that he also advised David as to which river rocks would work best on Goliath of Gath, but I cannot prove it.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot them all and I have quite a large supply of the the first two types, the 410 and the newer 400s but none of the new encapsulated Hornadys....I used to use them back when santa was a kid.....

Today, for hunting DG, I only use the Bridger flat nose solids and a supply of GS Custom flat nose solids that I put in, in bulk, some time ago and the old Hornadys are gathering dust on my shelf, about 15 boxes of them I suspect....I have not shot one of the Hornadys in many years.

Posts: 41850 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Well, we'll just have to wait for the ol' "Oracle at Delphi" to speak up and address the issue!

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Ray: I'll buy the Hornadys from you. I sent you a PM and eamil. jorge