THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Re: Welcome to Africaholics Anonymous!

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Welcome to Africaholics Anonymous!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Mine name is Linda and my husband Mike and I are Africaholics!
We went on our first safari this past August with our good friends to Zimbabwe with HHK. Needless to say it's all we both think about. We have scheduled to go back in September of 2005 (yeah!!) and are already counting down the days and keeping our fingers crossed that it all holds togeather. Its not a cheap trip. This last time we said there is no way we could ever afford to go again so lets do it up big. It truly was the most exciting thing I have ever done. No more were our feet on good old USA soil than my mind kept thinking of Africa...... I guess that makes us Africaholics. So now we are scrimping and saving every dime,oops! make that hundred dollar bill to go back one last time (yeah right!) I will never forget the sunset.

Posts: 150 | Location: Washington | Registered: 01 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My wife calls it being "Ate up with Africanitis"

I prefer to just think of it as an alternative lifestyle!

And I pity those who aren't afflicted.

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My name is Curt and I�m an Afraholic.

This is my first and last meeting.

I don�t want to be "cured". I do want to have something to look forward to and dream about though so I�ll keep ckecking with "my man" for that next fix.

Someone has a line like "the line between mental illness and a hobby is fine"

hELLO mY NAME IS cURT AND i HAVE aFRICOFRENIA

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mark in SC
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to all of those lucky hunters who have just returned from their first Safaris!

Now that you have had your first African hunting experience and caught the FEVER you will begin to notice some changes taking place in your life.

Your co-workers will wonder what you are looking at as you stare blankly out of your office window. They look over your shoulder and see a parking lot - you see a 60" kudu bull hiding in the shadow of a camelthorn tree on a rocky, sun-drenched Namibian hillside.

Your redneck friends will make comments behind your back about how "Bubba is puttin' on airs," when your vocabulary starts changing and you tell them that you will "make a plan" to "sort out" the problem and "organize" a solution.

They'll think you've been watching too many "Frazier" re-runs when you start substituting "Cheers" for "see y'all later."

Your wife is going to get pissed-off when you start making cost comparisons between unexpected household expenses and Trophy Fees; "Jeez, honey...that new dishwasher will cost as much as a Damaraland Dik-dik, couldn't you just wash the dishes by hand?"

The next time one of your hunting buddies tells you about his "near death" experience tracking a wounded hog into the puckerbrush, you'll remember the lion charge...and just smile.

You will secretly steal your kid's lunch money and deposit it in the "Safari Account."

You will lie awake at night gazing at your bedroom ceiling and remember the glory of the Milky Way and the Southern Cross beaming down from a moonless African sky...and the smell of wood smoke from the firepit.

"Hello, my name is Bubba, and I'm an Africaholic."

"Hi Bubba, welcome to the group!"

Posts: 692 | Location: South Carolina Lowcountry | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
Hello. My name is Mike, and I'm an Africaholic. I'll post more on this subject "just now".

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
Hello, my name is Bill and I am an Africaholic.

Whle I have not yet partaken of the intoxicating and addictive Africa, I have have been subjected to the effects of its "second hand smoke." The signs of its addiction are already very prevelant in my house. I havent started pilfering from the kids lunch money yet but the wifes Xmas and birthday presents were seriously downgraded to slip a little extra into the "Safari Fund." I can only imagine the pain of a full blown addiction that you are subject to. Just remember that others share your pain.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Hello, my name is Forrest and I'm an Africaholic. That trip has changed my life and I'll never be the same again.

I no longer build custom rifles in .260 Remington.....now it's in .404 Jeffery.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Hello. My name is Mike, and I'm an Africaholic. I'll post more on this subject "just now".

Oh come on Mike, we can't wait that long. How about posting it "now now"?

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good one Mark. BTW, when's the next meeting? Seems I found myself nodding in agreement to every point in your post.

"Honey, we can always just put buckets under the the roof leaks. A new roof costs, let's see, damn near a whole buffalo with a sable kicker!"

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Hello, my name is Scott and I am an Africaholic. Last week I made good progress towards recovery when I accepted a refund check from Ruger for my 375 H&H. Then, I realized I could take everthing on my current list with my 30-06 and could just taste the next fix. It got worse as yesterday, I really slipped. I withdrew funds from my Safari Account and made final payment to my pusher, I mean booking agent. I feel my resolve weakening and if I'm still in out-patient treatment in the next 14 days, I positively know I will relapse and offend again.

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Does this make me a pusher?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello. My name is George, and I'm an Africaholic. One trip, now all I do is count the days until I go back. Life is too short and so is money.

Posts: 853 | Location: St. Thomas, Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello, I've been one since '95. That's when we (my cook & I) went on our first. At the time, we honestly considered it the one and only, our trip of a lifetime. By the time that one was half over, we were talking about the next one. We leave in a long month for the third, the fourth is booked ('06), the fifth scheduled ('07), but not booked yet. I'm fairly confident that won't be the end of it.

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cchunter
posted Hide Post
I was on my first safari in 2002 and must say I have no problems at all not going back.......

....until June 3. for my sec,,,, third ok, ok that is my fourth trip and the fifth will be this fall. BTW I am planning for Buff and Leopard next year.

Ok I just let it come.... I am an Africaholic (felt good to say)

Posts: 2121 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Does this make me a pusher?

Yes it does and I need a fix bad!

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SnakeLover
posted Hide Post
Hi my name is Brad and I'm an Africaholic. I'm about to make my 3rd trip across the pond (1 month away!!). I heard this was a twelve step program, so here are my proposed steps to be "cured".

1) Need to buy a classic double - Admit to yourself that you always wanted to do it, then sell your 3rd child to finance!
2) Find a "sponsor" that will help you through the tough times when you need a fix and be willing to come along.
3) Spend time practicing shooting. Create your own shooting tripod following Terry's directions.
4) Go to Namibia and hunt cheetah and gemsbok
5) Go to RSA, hunt nyala, bushbuck and eland
6) Go to Mozambique and shoot your first buff
7) Go to Botzwanna and shoot more buff and another of the Big 5
8) Go to Tanzania and shoot more buff and another of the Big 5
9) Go to Zambia and hunt the swamps, then finsh off the big 5 hunting and take a sable as well
10) Go to Ethiopia and hunt Mt Nyala
11) Go to CAR and hunt lord derby eland
12) Go to Cameroon and hunt bongo

Repeat as necessary!! Don't know if this would cure me, but it would sure enough be fun to try!!

Posts: 472 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello.
My name is Jeff and I'm an Africaholic. Much like M1Tanker, I have yet to partake of the forbidden fruit. August 6 will begin my transformation for real and yet even now I am consumed by the anticipation. 98 agonizing days to go. Lord forgive me for I know not what I do!

Jeff

Posts: 192 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: 06 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted Hide Post
Hello, My name is Mike and I am an Africaholic!

Thank god I will be getting my second dose in less than one week! We ( my wife and I) leave on the 10th. I can't wait to see the Southern Cross, and smell the Mopane wood again!! In the words of the liberal dick head Howard Dean; We're go'in to Jo-Berg, We're go'in to Cape Town, We're go'in to Kimberly and then we're go'in to hunt YEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!(Total Melt Down)

BOWHUNR

Posts: 636 | Location: Omaha, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
Even though I wont be able to get a thorough fix for a few more years I will be able to take the edge off a bit. I talked to the Ft Bliss Range riders today and they are hoping to get a hunt date for next weekend. For those of you who have not been subject to my cravings, I will be hunting Gemsbok on Ft Bliss, TX. I hope this time that they are able to let me go out and get my first "hit" of African game.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote